It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Report Urges End to 'Conversion' Therapy for LGBT Youth

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: deadeyedick

you can yell and verbally mistreat me all day and I can cope with it but the minute you slash at my skin with a knife then things get real.
I can deal with cortisol but a loss of blood really gets me down.

Well, not everyone is an internet tough guy and verbal abuse affects some of them in a very adverse way.

Actually I think it is a good thing that we have differentiated between physical abuse and mental abuse in this op it is highlighting mental abuse.

I have not really stated that mental abuse is not a problem but that it is secondary to physical abuse and many try to frame the debate as conversion therapy is the worst kind of abuse around. It is not. Once we really highlight what is really happening then maybe we can determine if it is a real problem that is worth removing rights in order to change our accepted definition of freedom to accommodate some claiming abuse.

At the end of the day that is what this is about. Freedom.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   

I have not really stated that mental abuse is not a problem but that it is secondary to physical abuse...

Really? It is so 'secondary' that the CIA's enhanced interrogation techniques almost all revolved around breaking the subject down mentally, not physically.

People are so damn deluded it is almost comical.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   

I have not really stated that mental abuse is not a problem but that it is secondary to physical abuse...

Really? It is so 'secondary' that the CIA's enhanced interrogation techniques almost all revolved around breaking the subject down mentally, not physically.

Light and sound alterations that exceeded normal levels are physical.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Which ones haven't see too many that one is without the other.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   

So is screaming at someone then.

link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

This 'therapy', is actually tantamount to more than mental and physical abuse...it's also a Human rights abuse.

link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

I think you just like to argue and change your positions as the thread progresses. Maybe you should do some READING on the topic.

Intentional comes to mind.
edit on 16-10-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Reallyfolks

Which ones haven't see too many that one is without the other.

I have no idea what that means.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   

you can yell and verbally mistreat me all day and I can cope with it but the minute you slash at my skin with a knife then things get real.

Well, not everyone is an internet tough guy and verbal abuse affects some of them in a very adverse way.

I have not really stated that mental abuse is not a problem but that it is secondary to physical abuse

Are you serious with this? Mental abuse is FAR worse than physical abuse. You can heal from most physical abuse. Even scars fade. Mental illness can stay with you a LIFETIME. Especially if you don't seek treatment for it. The repercussions for untreated mental abuse/illness can reverberate negatively throughout your whole life and social network. To pretend like physical abuse is worse than mental abuse is just naive.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   

So is screaming at someone then.

Are you really this small?

A hundred db over an extended period of time can physically damage a person physically.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

I have not really stated that mental abuse is not a problem but that it is secondary to physical abuse

Are you serious with this? Mental abuse is FAR worse than physical abuse. You can heal from most physical abuse. Even scars fade. Mental illness can stay with you a LIFETIME. Especially if you don't seek treatment for it. The repercussions for untreated mental abuse/illness can reverberate negatively throughout your whole life and social network. To pretend like physical abuse is worse than mental abuse is just naive.

Apologies for butting in on this mental Vs. Physical abuse thing...but really both go hand in glove.

You can't have physical abuse, without significant mental abuse (fear, anxiety, terror, loathing, self-loathing, depression and on and on) and mental abuse often results in physical injury, if severe enough, suicide or harming others or even murder manifest as a skewed coping mechanism is a recurring theme of mental abuse.

So really, there's not usually one without the other.

edit on 16-10-2015 by MysterX because: typo

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Are you really this small?

The small person in this debate is the one attempting to argue that mental torture is somehow not as damaging as physical torture.

Who would that be?

link   
a reply to: MysterX

That is a fair point to consider. One can and certainly DOES lead to the other, but when you look at both of them in a vacuum and compare their effects, emotional abuse FAR outstrips physical abuse.

link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

So its ok for the LGBT agenda to run conversion propaganda on TV, radio, magazines, public schools, etc, but its not ok for parents to raise their own children as they see fit?

Ok. Just checking.
edit on 16-10-2015 by BELIEVERpriest because: typo

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

How about a contest to see who is right?

I will employ my physical techniques to kill you and you can deploy your mental assault and then I can compare our notes.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest
So its ok for the LGBT agenda to run conversion propaganda on TV, radio, magazines, etc, but its not ok for parents to raise their own children as they see fit?

Ok. Just checking.

'Conversion propaganda'. Too funny.

How has it been affecting you personally? You find your self cranking Liza Minnelli at home while trying to look fabulous?

link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I'd certainly opt for a kicking or two over sustained mental / emotional abuse, that's true.

link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

What is the LGBT agenda exactly? And what are they trying to convert people to?

Disregarding your obviously sensationalized account of how things work, you are trying to compare propaganda on network television to parents TORTURING their children because they have thoughts that are icky to the parents. FAIL!
edit on 16-10-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: MysterX
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I'd certainly opt for a kicking or two over sustained mental / emotional abuse, that's true.

A kicking or two?

Not very creative are you?

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Isn't that infringing on parents rights to choose whatever therapy they want to send to their kids? Therapy is for people that have psychological abnormalities. Which homosexuals deny, but they have. Men dont go with men and women dont go with women its, counterproductive to the human race. It's destructive. People choose to be gay as it has been proven to be enviromental factos that affect people who are gay. Like the brainwashing from the gay community towards youth, planting seeds in their heads saying its okay and normal to choose. That's sick to me.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join