It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hmm,"get over" cuts to Social Security?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I thought this news worthy for all,but especially those of us on SS.The article does explain what all was said,and all I can say about this is that I don't think I can 'get over" any cuts,since I don't get that much to begin with,am not able for food stamps,and even fall between the cracks for any healthcare.They say he was joking about the get over it part,yet he gave no other response to the fact that seniors would have no other way to live. Here is the article with the quote by Ohio Gov.John Kasich and his 'plan'.

www.cnn.com...
edit on 9-10-2015 by Dimithae because: misspelled word

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Dimithae

Enhancing your thread, follow example for future posting...(some ATSers like a little more information other than Here Ya Go [LINK], Read It) What is your suggestions? Questions? Opinions to correct this or improve it? Explain it to us more please.

LINK

Ohio Gov. John Kasich said Friday that a New Hampshire audience member would "get over" cuts to Social Security payments as a result of his reform plan -- and the left is already pouncing on the comment.

The Republican presidential candidate was asked about entitlement reform during NH1's "Fiscal Fridays" series in Concord, New Hampshire, on Friday, and he said it was something that would have to get done.

"We can't balance a budget without entitlement reform. What are we, kidding?" Kasich said when asked about his opponents who say they won't touch entitlements.

Kasich said he was part of the effort to reform Medicare and Medicaid in the '90s, and that he also had a plan to change Social Security so that initial benefits were lowered for individuals not yet near eligibility.

Regards,

SK
edit on th38Fri, 09 Oct 2015 14:38:16 -0500K2015101631pm10 by SirKonstantin because: (no reason given)

edit on th38Fri, 09 Oct 2015 14:38:59 -0500K2015105931pm10 by SirKonstantin because: (no reason given)

edit on th39Fri, 09 Oct 2015 14:39:14 -0500K2015101431pm10 by SirKonstantin because: (no reason given)

edit on th40Fri, 09 Oct 2015 14:40:08 -0500K2015100831pm10 by SirKonstantin because: (no reason given)

edit on th40Fri, 09 Oct 2015 14:40:34 -0500K2015103431pm10 by SirKonstantin because: (no reason given)

edit on th42Fri, 09 Oct 2015 14:42:00 -0500K2015100031pm10 by SirKonstantin because: (no reason given)

edit on Fri Oct 9 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed overly long quote IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   
How about we cut Corporate welfare or how would they feel about getting a little less for the better of the country...smh

edit on 9-10-2015 by amicktd because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: amicktd

It would be good to have top to bottom tax reform, but that still doesn't solve the problem.

Like it or not, Kasich is right.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

It would be good to have top to bottom tax reform, but that still doesn't solve the problem.

Like it or not, Kasich is right.

I agree, but we should start with the billionaires first, not the elderly.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Billions in bank bailouts, war toys, black budgets, and just flat out missing. But the people? Get over it. We pay this money in. It belongs to us. How about just pay us all out and they can get over the loss. It's always the people that have to suck it up "for the country".

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   

He wasn't talking about the elderly. Did you read the expanded quote?

He was talking about people who had not yet gotten to their retirement. People presumably like you and I. We would be the ones taking it for the team in order to reform the system, and let's be honest if you aren't planning to have NOTHING in SS the way things are going, then you are short-sighted indeed.

I don't plan on it being solvent by the time I retire. I expect that my SS is being stolen from me and will be money I'll never see again because that's the way our current government seems bent on doing business.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I must have missed it, I'll take a gander.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

He wasn't talking about the elderly. Did you read the expanded quote?

He was talking about people who had not yet gotten to their retirement. People presumably like you and I. We would be the ones taking it for the team in order to reform the system, and let's be honest if you aren't planning to have NOTHING in SS the way things are going, then you are short-sighted indeed.

I don't plan on it being solvent by the time I retire. I expect that my SS is being stolen from me and will be money I'll never see again because that's the way our current government seems bent on doing business.

I see now and understand where your coming from I'm only 31, so I'm a good ways away and really don't expect to ever see it.

The problem I have is corporations are receiving tons of free cash, while demonizing the poor for the same thing. The only difference is the poor is getting pennies, while they are receiving billions.

Source

+15 more 
posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I don't call SS an entitlement program. I worked my whole life to pay for it.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Duplicate post.
edit on 9-10-2015 by Nickn3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Hey America!

Welcome to how the UK poor is feeling under the conservative's "Austerity" Measures! I think you'd be in a worse state though,. as you get b***ger all to begin with and then your healthcare system on top- Yikes! *Looks away in pain*

Happy Right wing, rich for the rich mentality Moment of Realisation!

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   
umm...he seems to be all for wasting a ton of money on another war though, doesn't he??
The gov't owes the social security money just like it owes all those other bond holders all over the world...
why not just default on all of them while we're at it? I mean no one in their right mind would actually expect to get the money that the gov't owes them back at this point, would they...

if they did cut social security, it probably wouldn't help our budget one bit because they would just look at the money they just saved, double down and spend even more on crap like wars, weapons, and pocket padding for a few select friends of theirs.

they're the ones that dug this hole for us, the social security fund isn't broke, it's more like the payments coming in isn't adequate to pay for what is going out, but, that just happened recently, they had decades of having much more money coming in than going out. where's the reserves, oh ya, the idiots borrowed it and spent in on crap, so now the poor little things have to tighten their belt so they can pay some of it back!

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   

I think SS needs to be looked at and reformed considering people are living and working a whole lot longer than they used to. Secondly there needs to be an inviolable law that protects the funds raised for SS by requiring it to be placed into the SS system and nowhere else. Third we need to look at increasing the retirement age starting with anyone born in the next calendar year. Those born before it are grandfathered in and any changes made allows those individuals to opt out.

What we have now is not working.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Put the money in an account and give the individual control over how that account is saved might be a start. Letting you see and control your savings that you are forced to save is one step to making sure no one raids those savings while you're just assuming they're being taken care of for you.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Veterans benefits
Social Security
Disability benefits

We call ourselves evolved but we fail to take care of those who need our help the most. Forcing the 3 groups above to live in poverty while the 1% gets richer.

This is just one of the many reasons the world is waking up and will refuse to comply to any BS NWO were those who have robbed from the poor to feed their insatiable appetite for power will remain in power.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

I think SS needs to be looked at and reformed considering people are living and working a whole lot longer than they used to. Secondly there needs to be an inviolable law that protects the funds raised for SS by requiring it to be placed into the SS system and nowhere else. Third we need to look at increasing the retirement age starting with anyone born in the next calendar year. Those born before it are grandfathered in and any changes made allows those individuals to opt out.

What we have now is not working.

There is no reason to raise the retirement age.

Medical and technological advances should improve the quality of life for all, not enslave us for a few more years in a system designed to keep us enslaved and dependant until we die.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Donald Trump is the only 2016 candidate to come out and directly say he'd not cut Social Security nor would he raise the retirement age.

He is unique on this subject wether D or R behind the name.

He claims his economic reforms will allow enough revenue to not change SS.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

but, what happened to the money that was paid in, I mean the boomer generation was huge compared to the one's that were on social security while they were working, and for the most part, they enjoyed higher wages, and stable employment for most of that generation. And you have to consider many of them worked many years, just to die a few years before retirement. so where's all the money gone? heck, my father died before he hit the magic age, as did my brother, my mother only enjoyed it for a little over a year, my husband died before he hit it, my supervisor at work never got to enjoy it....
so, well, between my father, my brother, my husband, that is a heck of alot of money that went into it......and well, none of it was taken out on their behalf.

Gee, I wonder, would it be in better shape if they hadn't been building bridges to nowhere, airports that weren't needed, and hotels in areas that already had too many? All probably done because the developers were friends of a friend, who was the 2nd cousin of a wife of a congressman?

How much better would they be if we hadn't spent so much money in over a dacade of wars based on lies, or propping up an economy and bailing out the bankers who crashed it to begin with?

What people need to realize is that the ones they are telling to "get over it" isn't those who are going into retirement, it's the kids of those who are going into retirement. I mean they've allowed the economy to be tanked, the values of most people main investments to be smashed, heck they even allowed those homes to be taken from them, in some cases even if there were no mortgage on those homes, they've raided the social security trust fund, they're working overtime to crash the social safety nets, and well, I only have about five years left before I can start drawing from it and I don't expect it to be around then, but even if it does now, let's say that they decide to start the changes for everyone just entering the workforce that year. Do you really think it's gonna be any easier for them to safe up for retirement. Do you think the banks could actually restrain themselves from looting the wealth that they've gained throughout their working years several times over? Do you think that their kids will be able to tell them to just get over it if it means that they are homeless, or hungry? I don't!! So in essence the one's who will end up having to get over it will be the kids, since once their parents reaches the age where they are no longer able to earn enough to live on, well, it will be their responsibility to provide for them, while trying to save up for their own retirement while earning what seems to be crappier and crappier wages.

Any cuts to social security being paid out should be met with cuts in defense, gov't salaries, gov't pensions, gov't corporate welfare, and just about every other blackhole they have to siphon money from the taxpayers and into their's and their buddies pockets! And no more wars, unless we are attacked, and well, no more lying about who's responsible when we are attacked!

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko
Thing is, I may not be old enough to retire yet,but I still paid in for 37 years before I became disabled. I know it does no good to whine about it,but I think our money that the government takes is going to the wrong places. And once again,we are basically told to sit down and shut up about it. I call nonsense.Its time they all got out of office and put back the money they took out of our SS to spend on balancing the budget,goes back to SS now.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join