It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA to Announce Mars Mystery Solved on sept 28th

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Denoli
Boring !
Didn't 99% of people know that anyway ?
Just confirms it .
I'd rather watch glue dry than listen to the

HEY WITH SPENT BILLIONS OF YOUR MONEY TO TELL YOU 💩 YOU ALREADY KNOW !

Nobody knew that water was currently flowing in a persistent manner on Mars.

These dark streaks seemed like they could be water, but they could also have had other non-flowing-water causes. This discovery that the dark streaks are caused by flowing water confirms for the very first time that liquid water does in fact flow on Mars.

edit on 9/28/2015 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

(post by Iamnotadoctor removed for a manners violation)

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Liquid water appearing and disappearing seasonally, dependent upon temperature, confirmed by spectroscopy detection of hydrated minerals, in combination with visual evidence (recurring slope lineae.) They also determined that perchlorate salts increase the stability of liquid water on Mars, and that this means the water is briny rather than pure.

While that may be anticlimactic to some, that is amazing and a game changer in terms of our conceptualization of what Mars is actually like. It also increases the prospects for microbial life on Mars (which they still have yet to find.) They intend to thoroughly search for life using this new data as a starting point, and this means they can transition from looking for fossilized remnants of ancient life, and actually determine whether life might presently exist.

As they stated in the Q&A, this means they can now ask the question, "Does life exist on Mars?" and actually have a good starting point for answering that question, rather than only dealing with the possibility in the abstract.

Peace.

ETA: They are saying this also strongly suggests the possibility of subterranean water systems, which could also harbor life.
edit on 9/28/2015 by AceWombat04 because: Added info, fixed typo

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   
The NASA scientists in the conference are now talking now about how this may point to an aquifer network under the surface of Mars, which may in turn point to the very real possibility of their being life under the surface.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   
So that may have been a subterranean sea creature of sorts in that picture after all.

edit on 33111642 by sg1642 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Figured. It takes them a decade of "evidence" to "declare" something.

At this rate, it'll be 10,000 years before we "confirm" we've found a rocky exoplanet with an atmosphere of nitrogen/oxygen.
edit on 28-9-2015 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Someone please confirm, did I hear that corectly, the gentlemen in blue jacket confirmed there's life on Mars from contaminated rovers?
Goes to describe how's difficult to kill every microorganism with UV radiation?
edit on 28-9-2015 by zilebeliveunknown because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Denoli
Boring !
Didn't 99% of people know that anyway ?
Just confirms it .
I'd rather watch glue dry than listen to the

HEY WITH SPENT BILLIONS OF YOUR MONEY TO TELL YOU 💩 YOU ALREADY KNOW !

With the greatest of respect, it seems that you know very little. Liquid water has been theorised for years, but proving that to the satisfaction of peer review is a much trickier prospect - not least as this is our first time encountering such such a thing. You do realise this is happening on another planet right?

For one, this makes life (in our current understanding) more likely than ever, and secondly it means Mars natively has one of the most important raw materials required to mount a manned trip.

Deny ignorance indeed.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   
This says a lot about the possibility of life outside our solar system. The people who were hoping for something bigger should be pleased with that. If two planets that are a stones throw from each other by comparison, and in the same solar system, hold one of the main ingredients for life does that not make it a lot more likely that life and the conditions for life can be found elsewhere?

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Why do people think the earth is special ?
There's life everywhere in the universe,
And water everywhere, same old American
Approach , were the best , no one has what we have blah blah blah .

If you didn't think water was on Mars were you been living ? MARS ?

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: PlanetXisHERE
People wake up!

I hope with all my heart that one day You will wake up.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

to be honest...If anyone followed the curiosity anomalies thread...many members pointed out...myself included...that there are obvious signs of current water on Mars. But we were swiftly denied...by the Science brigade. It was everything but water.

Anyway...At least a confirmation of what was rather obvious. Still...a big news in my book. So now we can take it from here...

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: MarioOnTheFly

Some of those images of darker soil discussed on ATS before (similar to the image below) did look like they could be simply a darker soil and not wet soil. And that still may be the case. We don't have enough information to know if those specific darker soil are darker because they are wet.

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   

I can point you to some other posts with more obvious signs. That pic you posted doesn't show what I'm talking about.

edit:

give some time..I'll dig it up.
edit on 28-9-2015 by MarioOnTheFly because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Did anyone catch (right after the conference ended) the cool station identification bumper of Brian May saying "You are watching NASA TV", with the song "Killer Queen" playing in the background?

Besides being a founding member of the legendary band Queen, Brain May also holds a PhD in Astrophysics.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: zilebeliveunknown..
the gentlemen in blue jacket confirmed there's life on Mars from contaminated rovers?

If' we've contaminated the Mars ecosystem, we've violated the Prime Directive! What's the punishment for that? ;-)
-cwm

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Great example of ATS open minds being ahead of the curve!

Even great observations require scientific corroboration though, of course.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   
The problem with all the evidence we've had before is either it was just a picture or it was a laboratory with simulated Mars conditions. We needed repeated different measurements to back it up.

Here's what I I'm talking about:
(Dated November 8 2005)
phys.org - Simulations Show Liquid Water Could Exist on Mars...
(Dated April 1 20013)
www.marsdaily.com - SwRI study finds liquid water flowing above and below frozen Alaskan sand dunes, hints of a wetter Mars...
(Dated March 25 2009)
ns.umich.edu - Liquid saltwater is likely present on Mars, new analysis shows...
(Dated Feb 18 2009)
news.nationalgeographic.com - Liquid Water Recently Seen on Mars?...

The probelm with the above links is there's not enough there to show it's what it seems to be. NASA is VERY cautious. So cautious I think most of us would go crazy if we had to work for them.

Scientists aren't conspiracy theorists. Main difference. Expectations are tighter, much tighter. This is because people have been fooled in the past. Science dares to speak truth in a world of delusion. This is also why it can be so boring to people like us, who hate its slowness.

A non-scientist just needs a mirror to see themselves. A scientist needs a stethoscope, x-ray, a spectrometer, a theoretical and mathematical explanation of visual phenomena, a lab, diverse lensing tools and more. They might even have to build CERN or fuse atoms.

Not saying all that to insult science. It's just the way it's. The same statement can be an insult to non-scientists too. We don't hold ourselves to strict standards which is why BS is so common outside science.
edit on 9/28/2015 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

originally posted by: zilebeliveunknown..
the gentlemen in blue jacket confirmed there's life on Mars from contaminated rovers?

If' we've contaminated the Mars ecosystem, we've violated the Prime Directive! What's the punishment for that? ;-)
-cwm

Do not interfere with indigenous species, or something along those lines..

Abort all future missions, in this case, until we know with 100 % accuracy that no life will be transfered to another planets.

When they find life on Mars, there would be strong indications that it came from earth via "sterile" spacecrafts.
That's it. Mars is screwed.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: zilebeliveunknown
Maybe, maybe not. It might be present Earth life has no chance on present-day Mars because obviously it's a more hostile environment. NASA project leaders in past years have went so far as to say life on its surface was impossible or near impossible. THAT's a strong word. Maybe they should be saying it's impossible for life as we know it....

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join