It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Things i have noticed since i was a kid

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 06:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arbitrageur

originally posted by: and14263
As Descartes said... One cannot trust ones senses - or something like that.

We can't trust our memories. It takes a while for people to trust in the notion that they cannot trust their senses, especially memories.

What you remember may be true, it may not - but one thing is certain - over time memories distort for a multitude of reasons and there is an ultra high chance that what you remember is not what the reality was.

originally posted by: network dude
your memory is the least trustworthy thing you have. Look at pictures and movies for proof of that. The skies on a clear blue sky day are just as blue and vibrant as they ever were. the sun is just as bright and colorful as it ever was. (you can't stare into it anyway, so how would you know what color it was?)
Yes it's nearly white but for reasons not well-understood people sometimes seem to perceive it as yellow. As you said if you stare at it you're probably just damaging your eye so you can't tell what color it is with the naked eye.

You and and14263 are right about untrustworthy memory, in fact I made a thread about that topic:

You Have No Idea What Happened (We get many details wrong when recalling past memories)

Not only is memory very faulty, but our initial senses aren't reliable either. I remember an old guy telling me chickens don't taste as good as they used to. As he smoked his cigar, I couldn't help but wonder how much of that perception was from the toxins in his cigar damaging his taste buds so he couldn't taste the chicken as well as he used to.

I don't think there are any significant changes in the sky or sun that are visible to the human eye, with the possible exception of more jet contrails with increased jet traffic.

Your post is ridiculous, do you know that?
Especially part I quoted.
edit on 11-9-2015 by xoenneox because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: xoenneox
You quoted a lot. There's a thread linked in what you quoted, did you read that?

Your Memory is like the Telephone Game - Each time you recall an event, your brain distorts it

Is Eyewitness Testimony Inherently Unreliable?

Eyewitness failures:
www.youtube.com...

We can't even tell that square A and square B are the same color, and we can stare at this all we want:

en.wikipedia.org...

How are we supposed to tell what color the sun is when we can't stare at it without burning our retina?

edit on 2015911 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Your post is ridiculous

You just called Arbitrageur ridiculous. Do you have any idea how ridiculous that is?

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Something I noticed is that when I was a child there were a LOT more stars visible in the night sky.

I live in the same suburban town I grew up in and there haven't been any substantial structural changes so I can't chalk it up to light pollution (although I realize the city closest to me has certainly grown... But the proper city is a good 20 miles away).

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 07:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

The dress is blue.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality
a reply to: Picollo30

Some of you oughta take a trip up to the Colorado mountains crested butte I recommend.

My kids and I vacationed there June of 2014. We loved it! Of all the places we've been, this is the ONE place we all wished we could stay and live. Beautiful place, relaxing small town feel, and very friendly people. Absolutely loved it there.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting

Your post is ridiculous

You just called Arbitrageur ridiculous. Do you have any idea how ridiculous that is?

No, I do not.
Is he/she some kind of scientist, or just your collegue?
This person's explanations have no use to me, ok?
edit on 12-9-2015 by xoenneox because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   

We can't even tell that square A and square B are the same color, and we can stare at this all we want:

en.wikipedia.org...

How are we supposed to tell what color the sun is when we can't stare at it without burning our retina?

The squares are not precisely the same color; the edges are different.

Still, the illusion on this particular image is carefully engineered surrounding coloration. If we were to make them lighter, the illusion is gone:

Likewise, if we were to make them darker, the illusion is gone:

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: xoenneox
Is he/she some kind of scientist, or just your collegue?
This person's explanations have no use to me, ok?
The link you quoted was scientific research. I don't know if you read it, but it showed that not only are our memories faulty, but when confronted with evidence of this, we will deny it and think our memories aren't faulty. The scientists compared the same student's memory of the same event as recalled at two points in time, the second one three years later. The students denied their memory had changed, which was one of the most interesting parts of the research to me, when researchers confronted them with their own prior recollections.

If you're denying our memories are faulty, you're only proving the research is true.

Here's another scientist who researches memory. Her research would suggest that even something as simple as reading the opening post of this thread, which plants a suggestion that maybe the sun or the sky has changed, could influence our memories to recall that maybe the sun or the sky has changed somehow, even if that's not what we would have remembered before the suggestion was planted, if for example someone had just asked us a non-leading question. This video shows some examples of this happening in her research:

Elizabeth Loftus: The fiction of memory

Psychologist Elizabeth Loftus studies memories. More precisely, she studies false memories, when people either remember things that didn't happen or remember them differently from the way they really were. It's more common than you might think, and Loftus shares some startling stories and statistics, and raises some important ethical questions we should all remember to consider.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Picollo30
Interesting, regarding the sun for me nothing changed. In kindergarten mates drew the sun yellow, I simply made a pencil circle and left the sun as white. As a child I did look into the sun a lot, I remember different colours starting to intermingle after several seconds. Nowadays it didn't change for me at all, I still look into the sun occasionally and it's still the same white as back then in the 80s. But I agree on the time, when I get home from a long day of work I do really feel as time was flying by.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   

The link you quoted was scientific research.

...about WHAT, exactly?
Was it about multiple people seeing sth weird?
I cannot see any relation to topic, Sir/Ma'am.
Look, I am not going to argue here, I think, that this thread is peculiar, since many people lately(since may, to be precise) are seeing same thing.
Now - I am 36, my mother is 61, 24 y.o. guy shared same observation, now - we are living in different parts of the GLOBE, so...what do you think?
I tried to share my idea about LCD TV/laptops/smathphones/whatever screens - since most people left CRT's, maybe this is the reason why our eyesight CHANGED, ok?

p.s. ahhh, one more thing: bulbs: more and more people are using LED/fluorescent sources of light in their homes...add this to my theory.
(sorry for my english...).

sidenote: here, in Europe, EU is pushing LED and other weird sources of light for homes, now - LED light is clearly leading to depression, fluorescent light, too.
Nornal bulbs are going to be...prohibited, imagine this.
Normal bulb is closest to natural light, someone want to f'up us there.

Look, if my posts are damaging to old ATS users, and this is just weird circle of old friends there, then, feel free to remove my account.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: xoenneox
...about WHAT, exactly?
clicking a link isn't really that hard.

Was it about multiple people seeing sth weird?
This thread is about remembering what the sun and the sky used to look like. That thread was about remembering the explosion of the space shuttle. I'm not sure if "weird" really applies to any of those.

Look, I am not going to argue here, I think, that this thread is peculiar, since many people lately(since may, to be precise) are seeing same thing.
There is no shortage of peculiar threads on ATS where people think the sun or sky looks different, planets or the moon looks different, the names of berenstain books have changed, New Zealand is out of place on the map, and there's a common thread among most of these threads which is the psychology of faulty memories so yes think they are all related.

Now - I am 36, my mother is 61, 24 y.o. guy shared same observation, now - we are living in different parts of the GLOBE, so...what do you think?
which observation specifically? As The last video I posted explains, just the suggestion and discussions between you , your mother and a 24 year old guy that something has changed could influence your recall to think they have changed, if you're talking about the topic of this thread, the sun or the sky.

I tried to share my idea about LCD TV/laptops/smathphones/whatever screens - since most people left CRT's, maybe this is the reason why our eyesight CHANGED, ok?
That would be a better possibility than the sun actually changing since we have sensitive instruments aimed at the sun to measure changes in the sun which would detect if the color of the sun had changed.

sidenote: here, in Europe, EU is pushing LED and other weird sources of light for homes, now - LED light is clearly leading to depression, incadescent light, too.
Nornal bulbs are going to be...prohibited, imagine this.
Normal bulb is closest to natural light, someone want to f'up us there.
It's established fact that the light source can affect colors we see indoors, so if this thread was about things looking different colors indoors your changing light source hypothesis would be spot on and probably the most likely explanation.

However since this thread is about outdoor objects, the sun and the sky, and indoor light sources don't seem very likely to affect the colors of those, unless as you suggest they were changing our eyes somehow. But as I said the only evidence I know of for that is as indoor light sources they affect the colors of things we see indoors while we are looking at them. If you know of any research which suggests that our eyes are being affected by any of these (LEDs ets) such that when we go outside and look at the sky, I'd be interested in seeing that. I won't say it's impossible, just that it doesn't seem like the most likely explanation.

I'm not here to argue either but I am here to discuss and exchange ideas.

edit on 2015912 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   
what do you want to obtain there?
Some stars, some blabla?
your post is not useful there....can you think clearly?
Look, my uncle did kill himself because of people like you.
What can you tell me regarding THIS topic?
This forum is f'ed up, there are people, that are just qable to exist just by some of f'ed up collegues.....foff...you have zero knowledgde, ok?Yeah, report me...evaporate me, guys....this ATS forum is bull#, alright?

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   

I can agree 100% on the sun. I used to look at it from time to time. Its not just sight, but the feel of it on skin is different as well. It burns. I can not go anywhere without sunglasses and have been that way for about 15 years. In broad daylight on a sunny day, it is hard to keep both eyes open, and ill get a headache from squinting. I favor one eye, but i can't recall which. I always have shades.

I like the warm orange/yellow sun much better than the hot yellow/white one. I can't look anywhere near it in the sky, even thinking about it make me sqeeze my eyes.

To be fair, I have gotten into some arguments over color from time to time. Also i have spent a lot of time staring at screens.

Ive had lots of interesting observations over the years, check the wierd internet theory thread, that covers most of the mandela effect memory anomalies people seem to be experiencing.

edit on 12-9-2015 by ISawItFirst because: I felt like it.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join