It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kentucky Clerk Kim Davis Found in Contempt of Court - Jail

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 07:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
But Kim Davis is a Democrat.

Elected by Democrat voters in that County.

Who cares??? That makes no difference at all. If she is a registered democrat then all that tells me is that she probably shouldn't be in charge of filling out any paperwork in the first place because she got that wrong too.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: wayforward

She is not being persecuted for her religious beliefs. She is being held in contempt for not upholding the law which is her part of her paid duty.

It really is just as simple as that.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: wayforward
a reply to: BubbaJoe

If my employer doesn't have the right to imprison me over failure to perform a work duty, then neither does any government employer. Why should our rights not be equal? If someone has the principle that it is okay to imprison people over failing to do a job according to a certain standard, then I'm fine with that person going to prison for not doing a job according to spec. But otherwise, I consider it an extremely harmful thing to do to someone.

Apparently you have never spent time in the military, they can take action against you for something as little as getting a sunburn that causes you to miss a formation, I spent 7 years under those rules. Her employer has not jailed her, a court did for defying them, just like they can jail you or I for defying a court order. This woman is fighting a losing battle, and should take her evangelical christian BS back to church where it belongs, it does not belong in our government, federal, state or local. She is sitting her fat behind in jail because she denied another US citizen their rights guaranteed to them by the constitution.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   

interesting you speak of russia!! if you want to know what real religious persecution is, check into their history, or just about any other former communist country! god, this little lady probably would have been sent to siberia for pulling this back then!!!

and let's see how that no harm bit of yours pans out in real life...
the couple pays taxes to this county and well is entitled to certain services provided to them, one of which is marriage licenses. some are saying how insane it is for us to think that if this clerk had a problem with issuing the gay marriage license that she should have just resigned, since that is part of her job! na, that is so unfair to her!!
it wasn't unfair to the employees of hobby lobby that wanted birth control though, na, they supposedly could easily get a job somewhere else.
and well, some are saying that all those people in that county could just go get their license from another county, so easy to do!! I mean, we know that you all paid your county for that service but we don't feel like giving it to you because well this one little lady here has an issue with it, and it happens to be based on a religion so we feel that her belief is more worthy than you receiving the services you are entitled to in you home county. you can drive, or walk, or take a bus, whatever, to the next county, 50 miles away, no problem, I am sure!! And what about that other county that these people are now having to go to? don't they now have an extra load of work because this county is being negligent of their duties to it's residents? reckon it might be costing them a little extra money to handle the overflow? they aren't getting any extra taxes though are they, nope all that taxmoney is being taken in by that negligent country!
nope, I don't see any harm whatsoever!!

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: maria_stardust

She is not being persecuted for her religious beliefs. She is being held in contempt for not upholding the law which is her part of her paid duty.

It really is just as simple as that.
She is in jail without a trial. Simple as that. And as far as not upholding the law, its not a crime. Cops are told to exercise discretion. If there is a law saying "the punishment for not upholding the law is jail" then strike it down. Breaking the law is a problem, but failing your duty to support it is 100% resolved by terminating the employment contract... there is nothing sending someone to jail is going to help... that will make things worse.

If you are in charge of an organization and someone isn't doing their job, terminate the relationship. Bad relationships may resolved by simply ending them.

My question to you, is what does sending her to jail do to help those who the clerk refused to help? What does it do to patch any "damages"? What does it do to prevent any injustice?

IF SOMEONE IS NOT A DANGER TO OTHERS THEY DO NOT BELONG IN JAIL.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
a reply to: xuenchen

I don’t think I mentioned democrat or Republican I mentioned right wing “Christians”

Who can be democrat or republican

.... along with the names of 2 Republicans running for President and fit nicely into your definition of right wing “Christians”.

edit on Sep-03-2015 by xuenchen because: [oh the irony when the tables get turned]

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Government employees can not be fired.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   
It is clear nobody cares about matters of religious conscious anymore...it's get with the program or get run over by the cultural train running down the tracks. This has happened before in history and the results were not good, even though when things got started everybody thought it was awesome.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue_Jay33

It is clear nobody cares about matters of religious conscious anymore

It is clear that some Christians don't care about gay people's rights and that she broke the law.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Do you have reading comprehension issues? This has been explained over and over in this thread. She is an elected official who took an oath to "uphold" the constitution. She cannot just be terminated. She must be impeached. There are laws that protect her too, you know.
She is in jail because she has repeatedly defied court orders to do her job, or resign her office. On top of that, it appears she has ordered those under her to defy court orders as well. And the judge has told them, they are next if they don't comply.

edit on 9/3/2015 by Klassified because: add

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic
Thought you might find this interesting, BH...
Why aren't there more Kim Davises?

One little-known and controversial practice might be behind some of this unexpected compliance. In Utah, North Carolina, Texas and other states, local governments are shifting responsibilities so that employees who object to gay marriage do not have to be involved with wedding licenses at all. In this scenario, the objectors’ co-workers or other government officials rotate to handle the task, allowing clerks who object to fade into the background and not participate.

But a group of Columbia University law professors argue in a recent memo that these kinds of exemptions create “conscience creep,” in which government employees can refuse to provide more and more services that violate their beliefs. And what happens when no one wants to provide the service? “The exemption proposals would make the efficacy of same-sex couples’ constitutional right to marry contingent upon their being able to find a public official who has no objection to their having such a right,” they write.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   
a reply to: aethertek

Actually if this went to trial she could had argued for jury nullification. The judge is no better than anyone else and th ecourt system is corrupt as anything else. The judge could had just stripped her of her job by court order and then had her pay the court cost. This is Blackmail forcing someone to do something against their beliefs. COntempt has always been blackmail.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

Government employees can not be fired.

They can be suspended and impeached OR be forced to RESIGN.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

If Steve Beshear would have gotten over himself, he'd have convened the Kentucky legislature to do just that. Instead, he wanted all this to happen so an example would be made from her. That's all there is to it.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 08:40 PM
link   
She was just obeying what the Bible says. How is that wrong?

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 08:51 PM
link   
So much hate in this thread... from so many that claim to fight hatred.

Spare us and just open the death camps for all the law breakers. I will be here and watch as you are surprised to be hauled off yourself. Hilarious!

You sound like a bunch of fascist whiners hiding under a liberal veneer.

mmmmm popcorn.
edit on 3-9-2015 by Volund because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 08:52 PM
link   

She was given ample opportunity to rectify the situation. She KNEW jail was a very possible consequence. She CHOOSE not to comply. This is a problem of her own making.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 08:54 PM
link   
but well she was just obeying what the bible said when she stoned the kid, how was that wrong??

or are we picking and chosing what we wish to believe that the bible says?

but I of agree with EternalSolace. it wouldn't have hurt to have the legislators brought in to resolve this.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: maria_stardust

She could have also chosen to resign her position.

You are right. Her current position is a result of HER choices, no one else's.
edit on 3-9-2015 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

This isn't Sharia Law, the bible isn't the governing law of the United States. The Constitution is.
edit on 3-9-2015 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join