It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Threads Challenging Religion: Why???

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   
This is a sincere question from an inquiring mind that wants to know.

Ninety-nine times out of 100, I scroll right past religious threads because it just seems like an opportunity to taunt and ridicule and beat up on anyone who doesn't agree. And I don't get it -- especially on ATS -- and I soooooo want to be proven wrong!!! So every so often, when I see a title that gives me hope that someone really wants to discuss different thoughts and opinions, I click on it... only to be frustrated and disappointed... and left to wonder what the purpose of such threads are...

I am not just referring to atheist vs. religion, but also one religion vs. another religion.

If you've authored (or thought about authoring) such a thread, why? What did you hope would come from it? If you do just want to taunt and ridicule, that's okay too. I won't like it, but okay. (I can think of a few things I think deserve our ridicule too; just not religion) If so, do you think it serves a practical purpose? How does it contribute to the quality of ATS? To the world?

But for the most part, ATSers are deeper thinkers than your average bear, so I also think (hope?) there's gotta be more. To change hearts and minds? To find common ground? To share validation of your own with the like minded? To better understand why others think what they do? To reconsider the known facts and thereby reconsider your own position? And what kind of responses are you hoping for? To change hearts and minds? Do you want opposing opinions? Or are you actually looking to discuss your beliefs with the like-minded? Are you hoping to learn something that you hadn't considered before?

I suppose the same questions would apply to those who read and respond...

I understand everyone has their own thought processes... their own experiences... their own motivations. So I don't expect or want one answer. I want the whole gamut!!!

For me? I enjoy discussing lots of stuff, including religion, but I never go into any discussion thinking I'm going to change anyone's mind, or wanting to belittle them or their beliefs. As long as no one's hurting anyone, folks can believe whatever they choose. Faith is all about the intangible. It cannot be proven nor disproven, so why try? Sometimes I learn something that makes me think again... other times I learn something that expands and helps me better understand my position. Sometimes I just learn enough to better understand and better respect (or not) a differing position. Sometimes whole new possibilities open up to me. If I hope for anything, it would be that we could find common ground and mutual respect.

So skool me ATS! I'm looking forward to what I learn in this thread, and hoping to find that elusive common ground that I'm currently missing

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Some, I personally believe, feel deeply that it is their own inherent duty to chastise the "opposition"...

Not to validate anything, but to satisfy their own inner doubts about whatever they believe.

Whether it's speciation or YEC or anything in between...

Quiescence is the best port of call for such threads.
I've fell for the trap a few times...

"Scientists" & "Prophets" abound on ATS...
It's a sideshow for those of us more interested in conspiracy or current world events in the long haul.

edit on 27-8-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

I planned on making a joke of your thread but then I had a revelation.

Why does god hate?

Why does god insist on war, poverty, incest, lies,.....why?

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   

In some cases threads like you're describing are an attempt to open people's eyes to what they've been taught their whole lives... in many cases people have been "brainwashed" to believe something without actually looking into the source of said belief, or even if its true or not.

When I write a "religious" thread it is merely an attempt to give a different perspective from the so called "absolute" that religious denominations will teach

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: highfromphoenix

Why does god hate?

What makes you believe HE does hate... or approve of anything you've said?

Lemmie guess... the bible?

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

In some cases threads like you're describing are an attempt to open people's eyes to what they've been taught their whole lives... in many cases people have been "brainwashed" to believe something without actually looking into the source of said belief, or even if its true or not.

When I write a "religious" thread it is merely an attempt to give a different perspective from the so called "absolute" that religious denominations will teach

LMAO.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   
There are a few here who try to play Prophet and have a "Holier Than Thou" attitude and everything out of their mouth is "God Is Punishing You" [ read that in a deep booming voice - think James Earl Jones ] and try to tell anyone who doesn't toe the Jesus Line that they are immoral sinners, doomed to burn in Hell. Any argument against them is met not with a debate, but page after page of bible verses, as if that will prove something to someone who doesn't believe in the bible to begin with. They are a judgmental lot.
It gets annoying.
edit on 27-8-2015 by DAVID64 because: typo

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: highfromphoenix

Why does god hate?

What makes you believe HE does hate... or approve of anything you've said?

Lemmie guess... the bible?

No.

Not the Bible.

life.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: highfromphoenix

Well that's not much of an answer...

Life is what you make of it... sometimes it sucks ass...

God doesn't insist on such things... We do

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

"Scientists" & "Prophets" abound on ATS...
It's a sideshow for those of us more interested in conspiracy or current world events in the long haul.

Ah yes... I did not even think of divide-and-conquer until now. Doh!

I do understand and share the concern of religion injecting itself into politics and law, but it is easily turned into a weapon against us by those who just want to keep us fighting and distracted.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   

I would have preferred the joke...

But thank you for answering the question anyway.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Well that's not much of an answer...

Life is what you make of it... sometimes it sucks ass...

God doesn't insist on such things... We do

I do not believe there is a god.

There is no Christian god there is no Roman, Greek, Egyptian or Celtic god.

God is a fairy tale.

We are alien to this planet.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   

And you are free to believe what you will my friend...

Personally I disagree but that is neither here nor there

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Which is no better than trying to inject politics & "correctness" (what is subjectively "right") into religion...

& that happens in equal measure, especially lately.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   

And you are free to believe what you will my friend...

Personally I disagree but that is neither here nor there

I have proof.

Where is your "god"?

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   

no you don't...

Proof of God can only be found on ones own... One can not prove God exists to someone else...

IF one sincerely searches for him, HE will give what is needed...

To prove God does not exist, one would have to know everything possible...

edit on 27-8-2015 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   

I think you're right... I know some people that are "brainwashed" so to speak, and in some situations, it can be harmful. And in those situations, I can understand -- even applaud -- efforts to improve that situation. Such as a wife whose pastor tells her she needs to put up with her husband's cheating and beatings and "submit to her husband." (Yes, amazingly, it still happens.)

Your religious threads are awesome! (and this thread was in no way directed to you) I don't think I've ever responded though because (as I hang my head sheepishly) it's usually so far above my head that I'm just trying to process what I'm reading. I have nothing to add!!!

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   
In the days when the forum descriptions were visible, the description of this one was;
"Discuss all things spiritual and share your own faith-based experiences".
To me, this is an invitation to express your own viewpoint, rather than attacking the viewpoint of others.
That's what I do in my own threads; a straightforward presentation of the Biblical outlook.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

I do not know all that is possible.

I do not know what is not possible.

I do know you talk about a faith you know to be false.

Take care.

posted on Aug, 27 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Thank you...

That is nice to hear once in a while... I've been going through a rough spot in my life lately, so I haven't contributed as much as I used to... but im hanging in there

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join