It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could abortion be considered a double standard?

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

I would hope that you could see the difference.......

Pregnancy can wreak havoc with a woman's emotions. Hormones....ya know?

Dads to be can get frustrated too, no doubt, but their body isn't playing games with their perceptions and their emotions, at least we hope not.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

What if the father offers to adopt the baby and take full responsibility after the 9 month gestation period, as well as paying for all costs/damages? Does he have a right then? Not legally as of now, but should he have the option?

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

once again it takes two to tango, exceptions do exist such as rape and other such things, but their is some sort of fanaticism on this subject that its the womens choice wholeheartedly but its the mans fault she got pregnant. when it not like that at all the women is just as at fault with the pregnancy as the man

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Is that some sort of justification?

What makes it better than one's 'drive' impairing their judgment? Hormones... ya know?

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

I would hope that you could see the difference.......

Well no I don't see the difference. Why would you let her slide on killing the baby? Hormones? Yet you would charge her with attempted suicide?

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: DenyObfuscation

Go get a medical degree, and then come back and talk to me about pregnancy, hormones compared to driving under the influence.

A person isn't "charged" with "attempted suicide", they're given professional help.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Go get a medical degree, and then come back and talk to me about pregnancy, hormones compared to driving under the influence.

DUI? Are you serious?

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

A person isn't "charged" with "attempted suicide", they're given professional help.

So what if I had to watch her down a bottle of castor oil, or swallow some abortion pills? In those cases she's clearly not trying to kill herself, she's trying to kill the baby. You're saying she should suffer no consequences at all? That I should just get over it?

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: WanderingSage

I do think the man is screwed in these situations. Laws should be changed that if the man doesn't want anything to do with the child then he doesn't have to pay child support. I have a cousin who is going through this now, she said she was on the pill then voila she is pregnant. She doesn't want an abortion.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shepard64

I do think the man is screwed in these situations. Laws should be changed that if the man doesn't want anything to do with the child then he doesn't have to pay child support. I have a cousin who is going through this now, she said she was on the pill then voila she is pregnant. She doesn't want an abortion.

Again "screw the child".

You make a kid -- you pay for the kid.

One person does not make a kid.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: JuJuBee
And what say you about Stephen Hawking? Whose to say, that child with 1/2 brain couldn't do something great???? Our weaknesses is someone else's strength.
Abort the baby because the baby's not "perfect"? Hmmmmm sounds SELFISH to me.

A local woman (with 2 kids already) got pregnant. The fetus didn't have proper kidneys and there wasn't enough amniotic fluid. The doctors told her it would never make it. But she was a Christian, with her faith, and she believed God was going to grant her a miracle. Her family had all kinds of fund raisers, the newspaper kept running updates on the story. She had to go to another state and be on bed rest while the doctors did amniotic transfusions. They ran up probably close to a million in medical bills. The baby almost made it full term, was born, then promptly died.

She had the right to choose to take it to the end.

I guarantee that if I had a wanted pregnancy with that prognosis I would have an abortion in a heartbeat.

There is such thing as a mercy killing. When a creature is too old, or too sick, or too deformed to have a decent quality of life sometimes the most humane thing is to end things sooner rather than later. Death is just as natural as life, I truly don't understand people's fear of it.
edit on 17-8-2015 by ladyvalkyrie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: DenyObfuscation

Actually sometimes it goes beyond hormones. Pregnancy is a time ripe (pardon the pun) for undiagnosed mental illness to rear its ugly head. A woman that was borderline before could easily go off the deep end into full blown psychosis. And a woman who was already aware of a mental illness has to stop taking medication because pretty much all psych meds cause birth defects.

It can be WAY more serious than a mood swing.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   

There is such a defense as temporary insanity. See the post I just made for DenyObfuscation.

Just out of curiosity, it sounds like you're talking about a real event. What (if I may ask) led up to it? Was it out of the blue?

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyvalkyrie

Okay, that makes sense.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: ladyvalkyrie

originally posted by: JuJuBee
And what say you about Stephen Hawking? Whose to say, that child with 1/2 brain couldn't do something great???? Our weaknesses is someone else's strength.
Abort the baby because the baby's not "perfect"? Hmmmmm sounds SELFISH to me.

There is such thing as a mercy killing. When a creature is too old, or too sick, or too deformed to have a decent quality of life sometimes the most humane thing is to end things sooner rather than later. Death is just as natural as life, I truly don't understand people's fear of it.

There's also a thing called: " The LIVING CHILDREN I already have who need me.

She had to go out of state to birth a child that she knew would probably not survive. And if it did would be severely deformed.

Where were her LIVING CHILDREN? Who is paying for this? Did she just spend her LIVING CHILDREN'S college fund? I have no use for stupid.

----------

Back to double standard.

Society today still blames the woman ( primarily).

Pregnancy is still the woman's problem (primarily).

Occasionally a man wants the child. Not enough weight in society.

edit on 17-8-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   

If the father is a responsible man then he should have say in a possible abortion.

We should do all we can to help the mother birth the baby, including financial, mental, and spiritual help. If she delivers, but isnt sure she wants to mother the child, we can have foster care take care of the baby for 6 months. If she declines after 6 months then she wont see the child again.

With all this support, if the mother still wants to abort, then thats her choice, and her decision is between her and God.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: lordofthesheep

God, all this "the man must pay" talk is making me want to puke. Do you know what the minimum amount of support is in the state of Colorado for two kids? It's $425 a month, no matter what the noncustodial parent "makes" in wages.

Now here's the kicker: Child support is money that is assigned to be used by the custodial parent to offset the cost of raising a child. That includes the roof over their head, the utilities, the food, the school supplies, etc.

But the average rent on a one bedroom apartment in Denver is currently $1100. The average rent on a 3 bedroom apartment is $1750.

What the non-custodial parent is required to "pay" is often a token amount. It doesn't cover much. In fact -- it's often a big joke.

And still the noncustodial parent complains.... Endlessly.

Shirkers.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: mymojo

We should do all we can to help the mother birth the baby, including financial, mental, and spiritual help. If she delivers, but isnt sure she wants to mother the child, we can have foster care take care of the baby for 6 months. If she declines after 6 months then she wont see the child again.

To me, this is just sick. "Potluck Baby".

I could never give birth to a baby, just to justify some "moral code" ---- then pass it on to who knows what.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   

edit on 17-8-2015 by F4guy because: comma abducted by aliens

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Well, as for the local woman.... I first saw a flyer on the counter at my bank. I am always a sucker for a worthy charity, but when I read what it was for I was like, "Psht...whatevs." I'm with you on this one, take care of the 2 kids you already have and quit hoping for a miracle for an unborn one that has absolutely no chance. BUT...that's my opinion, and she's entitled to hers. And everyone who willingly donated money is welcome to do that. And every time there was an 'upswing' in the story...ohhh the baby might make it! The prayers are working! I'd just read the paper and shake my head. They are all entitled to believe what they want and she can do what she wants with her own body....but I agree with you, how hard was all that on their 2 existing daughters? Then they have to fly out of state to meet their new baby brother only for him to die immediately afterwards? Jeez.

As to your reply to mymojo...I think his/her post was compassionate and you should cut him/her some slack. It's always made no sense to me how all the pro-lifers and churches are quick to provide all sorts of support during the pregnancy, but once you have the baby you're out in the cold. Maybe the women who really want the baby, but aren't in the best situation would choose not to have an abortion if there were something more long term in place to help them get on their feet. But I would abort before I would give a baby up for adoption, especially if it's special needs. And pro-lifers/Christians may not comprehend this, but it would be out of love/care/concern for the child. If I were a young lady trying to get an education or decent job I would totally keep the baby if there were long term help available. But this- we'll help you have it...and then help you adopt it out...and once you're done with all that, don't let the door hit you in the ass- is for the birds.

new topics

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join