It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could abortion be considered a double standard?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Okay, so I'm not trying to anger anyone, but I'm sure I will. The title is an honest question. Now when it comes to the touchy subject like abortion you here the phrases such as "pro choice" or "a woman has the right to choose what she does with her body and life". Well. anyone should have the choice to do with their body and life, right? It doesn't stop people from harping on the dangers of tobacco, drugs, and alcohol. But anyways, no one ever stops and thinks about the rights of the man. I mean it may not be his body but the baby is still part his. She made the choice to sleep with the guy knowing the possible consequences. Not talking about rape here that's a whole other ball game. The man gets no say so in what happens to the baby he helped create. Another thing is if a man runs on his responsibilities of children he is required by law to pay child support and is deemed a bad person and many other things. But if a woman chooses to not to be responsible for the actions she's chosen by killing the baby it's okay. Is that fair? I'm not looking at this from the angle of morality or religion, but equality. So what do you guys think?

+13 more 
posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Actually, the question can (and often does) go way beyond "double."
However from the point of view of your argument, all the male contributes is a pile of DNA. Stuff he sheds on an ongoing basis. The female is quite a bit more invested. Hardly an equal contribution.

edit on 8/16/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 01:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I understand that but she knows the consequences before engaging in intercourse. She may be the one growing it within her but it's still the man's seed that started the whole process. Seed that goes into an egg, something she sheds once a month. Both are equally responsible.
edit on 16-8-2015 by WanderingSage because: (no reason given)

+8 more 
posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 01:02 AM
link   
a reply to: WanderingSage
Yes. But which bears the brunt of the responsibility?
Once the male is done, he's done. Not so much for the female.

+10 more 
posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 01:02 AM
link   
The pregnancy and the development of the fetus will ultimately take place inside of the woman's body and therefore the ultimate decision of whether or not she wants to proceed with the pregnancy should be up to her.

The fact that there are groups of people that want to force women to go through with pregnancies just because it'll make them and not the woman, feel better is both sadistic and absurd and goes against all of the "anti-big government" tripe they love to spew.
edit on 16-8-2015 by muse7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 01:06 AM
link   
a reply to: muse7

Okay but if the roles are reversed and she wants it and he doesn't then he is still responsible. How is that right? He'll be responsible his whole life and not just for nine months. I had a girl abort my child without even telling me and I've never felt sadness and pain like that before. Also if the woman doesn't want to get pregnant then she shouldn't have sex. It's responsibility for your actions.

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 01:07 AM
link   

I had a girl abort my child without even telling me and I've never felt sadness and pain like that before.

Did you think about that before your "contribution?"
She should have discussed it with you but it was still her decision and her's alone. Do you think you could have talked her out of it?

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 01:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

I had a girl abort my child without even telling me and I've never felt sadness and pain like that before.

Did you think about that before your "contribution?"

Did I think about her aborting my child before I had sex with her? No I didn't think she was the kind of person to do that. As a 16 year old boy I wasn't ready and she pressured me into it. So for her to kill my child after she pressured me into sex was the worst feeling of betrayal. Especially since I can't have kids now. Radiation exposure and all that.

It would have been nice to have the opportunity to talk her out of it

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 01:12 AM
link   

As a 16 year old boy I wasn't ready and she pressured me into it.

Ha!

I was a 16 year old boy once.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Haha yeah I know really funny, but I was a Christian boy and we just started dating. And she was a bit of a rebound. That was 10 years ago and I still think about it.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 01:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: WanderingSage

Haha yeah I know really funny, but I was a Christian boy and we just started dating. And she was a bit of a rebound

So she most likely did both of you a favor.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Still. Ha!

When I was 17 my girl and I did everything we could to avoid her getting pregnant and there was plenty of "pressure". Guess what? It worked. She didn't.

Guess being a Christian boy didn't help.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 01:19 AM
link   

I assume you have a point.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 01:19 AM
link   

I'm trying to see yours.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 01:20 AM
link   
a reply to: muse7

We created a life. I would have raised the child myself if I had the chance. I have always been ready to take responsibility for my actions

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 01:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

I'm trying to see yours.

Oh okay thank you for that. Went way over my head. I even felt the breeze

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Sorry to butt in...
I know a young girl. At 17 she chose to have sex with a boy (18) who was a couple months from leaving to basic training. They DID NOT use protection. She was on the pill but, had not been taking it faithfully.

After a few days of soul searching and crying because she was keeping a secret and the boy wasn't speaking to her, she told her Mom. A doctor appointment was made. In the meantime quite a few OTC tests were purchased. Thankfully they all were negative and there were no STDs.

This was a hard/scary life lesson for her. She needed (for her future) to focus on finishing school. He needed to go off to basic training and hopefully make something out of himself.
Some children in the towns they live in want nothing more than to get out yet seem to sabotage that dream at every turn.
If there would have been a child, it would have not only impacted their lives but a child raising a baby. I believe (no proof just a belief) that 9 out of 10 times the child would have stayed with the Mother and their family.
With the Father in basic and the Mother in school, who would support this baby financially and emotionally?

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 01:34 AM
link   
My response is always: for eons women have taken the brunt of responsibility for getting pregnant. That really hasn't changed, even today.

When the sperm donor did not hold up to his responsibility ---- the woman was told it's her fault for picking the wrong man.

So, men --- for eons women have been expected to take full responsibility for pregnancy --- and so, most do.

If you think otherwise, expecting her to consult with you or care about your feelings, and she doesn't --- guess what --- you picked the wrong woman.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 01:39 AM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Good thing you're talking to a soldier because Regulations say you HAVE to pay child support. Half of your basic housing for allowance and insurance. Well at 17 and 18 they know what sex causes. When you light the fuse to a firecracker are you surprised when it goes off? They made a choice like we all do, but no one should be able to shirk their responsibilities. Also there's adoption. Millions of people want to adopt a newborn baby because they can't have one of their own.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 01:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

What if the couple agrees beforehand to have a baby, and a few months in she goes nuts and kills the baby? Is the father not entitled to justice?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join