It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freedom of Speech issues in the UK!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 09:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: southbeach
a reply to: Phage

Okay. I read the transcript. Did you? What you said are "his own words" aren't, except for a single phrase (out of context).
I can't seem to find the part about how criticizing the government qualifies one as an extremist. Nor can I see the part where free speech will be illegal.

I have shown video evidence whereby he aligns 911 truthers to Islamic terrorists and brands them as extremists in other words criticising the official Government narrative brands you an extremist.
He is bringing out a new extremist BILL using the 5 year anti extremist strategy.
Again in Paul Joseph Watsons video a man is arrested for exercising his freedom of speech and could face 2 years in jail so apparently it is illegal to express freedom of speech if somebody finds it offensive.
Honestly i don't know whether you are a wind up merchant or someone who is pedantic beyond all extreme.

He can't see the wood for the trees.

But he knows a LOT about the trees. I'll give him that.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: southbeach

I have shown video evidence whereby he aligns 911 truthers to Islamic terrorists
No. You haven't. You showed an out of context sound bite.

Again in Paul Joseph Watsons video a man is arrested for exercising his freedom of speech and could face 2 years in jail so apparently it is illegal to express freedom of speech if somebody finds it offensive

Again, Weston was not arrested for exercising his freedom of speech.
no but this woman was you silly man.m.youtube.com...

She was sent to prison for talking. Refute that.
All brits are silent.
edit on 15-8-2015 by disregard because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-8-2015 by disregard because: bad analogy

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   

a reply to: TechUnique

The real people know what time it is. They can see the writing on the wall.

So, when are you leaving the UK?

I'm not going to run away unless I feel as though I really need to. I'm not a coward. I know what situation I'm putting myself in by doing what I do. I've accepted the fact that I may die one day for not conforming but I embrace that notion because everyone dies at one time or another, better a righteous death than a cowardly death.

I'd rather live a shorter life where I've at least tried to make a difference than a longer life where I haven't done squat. It's all good arguing about things on an internet forum but actually doing something about it is a different matter entirely.

There are more than enough armchair professionals in the world and not nearly enough people actually trying to make a difference.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 09:56 PM
link   

It's all good arguing about things on an internet forum but actually doing something about it is a different matter entirely.

Indeed.
Have at it. Get them windmills!

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   

It's all good arguing about things on an internet forum but actually doing something about it is a different matter entirely.

Indeed.
Have at it. Get them windmills!

I don't understand the reference and/or what you are implying. I can only assume you're being a smart ass and somehow mocking me.

I could be wrong though so if I am I apologise.

Am I wrong? Perhaps I'm just being cynical. I'm just going by my past experiences with you.
edit on 26/10/2010 by TechUnique because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Oh yes i have on the 3rd page of this thread.

Weston was exercising his freedom of speech and was asked to move along as someone found it offensive,he may have refused but the effect is the same.
Do you think the Police would actually put it on a charge sheet,"The man was exercising his freedom of speech,someone found it offensive,so we told him to stop exercising freedom of speech and move along to which he refused"
There are many ways to skin a cat Mr Phage.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Yes. I know you posted that. I responded.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I provided the transcript. Nowhere does he equate "truthers" with Islamic extremists or terrorists.

Do you think the Police would actually put it on a charge sheet,"The man was exercising his freedom of speech,someone found it offensive,so we told him to stop exercising freedom of speech and move along to which he refused"
Yes. If there were such a law. If it were illegal to do so. It was not illegal for him to say what he was saying. It was illegal for him to remain where he was after being told to leave.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: southbeach

Weston was exercising his freedom of speech and was asked to move along as someone found it offensive,he may have refused but the effect is the same.
There are many ways to skin a cat Mr Phage.

Exactly. It's the same sort of thing as T.V licensing. If I were to say that not owning a T.V license and watching T.V is illegal, many on this site would call BS because there is no law against it.

Yet, if you don't pay your T.V license and then wind up in court over it, the court orders you to pay the T.V licensing people, if you don't pay you end up going to jail for breaching a court order. Ipso facto you were criminalised for not paying your T.V license.

Some people just don't get it. Just because there isn't a specific law making free speech illegal, doesn't mean you can't be treated like a criminal and charged as a criminal for your free speech.

For instance, you could be criminalised under the guise of your speech being hate speech, or, as I was trying to get at, extremism. The ambiguity of law and politics means that 'they' can do pretty much as they please.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Why was it illegal,him being stood there?
It was not the act of him being stood there but what he was saying that drew the attention to him in the first place and he was made to be silenced by issuing threats of arrest if not moving along.
If he was speaking about how great Camerons policies are he would still be stood there.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Why was it illegal,him being stood there?
Apparently because he was told to leave. I don't know the details.

It was not the act of him being stood there but what he was saying that drew the attention to him in the first place and he was made to be silenced by issuing threats of arrest if not moving along.
I don't know, the bullhorn was sort of obnoxious. But if he had left he would not have been arrested.

If he was speaking about how great Camerons policies are he would still be stood there.
Maybe, if he hadn't been using a bullhorn.

Tell me though, why did your boy in the video (Watson?) lie about what statute Weston was arrested under?

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   

What is your response to the notion that although not technically illegal, speech can effectively be criminalised by use of other laws?

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   

I'm against the abuse of power.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 10:34 PM
link   

So will you allow that UK laws can and perhaps even will be abused in the near future, as to allow the effective criminalisation of free speech?

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 10:37 PM
link   

I'm against power.

The bad guys only need to get it once, and the rest of time is hell.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I didn't expect that move but honestly you don't need twatter or faceplantbook.

Other than that I'm genuinely concerned for everyone out in the UK. Spread the awareness and don't be too idle about this one. Best regards to yous.

The beast is starting to squirm...
edit on 15-8-2015 by pianoasis because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-8-2015 by pianoasis because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 10:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: pianoasis
I didn't expect that move but honestly you don't need twatter or the facepalmbook

I'm not certain but I would hazard a guess that it could and probably would include such mediums as YouTube and anywhere else online where you can broadcast your thoughts.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 10:55 PM
link   

The great thing about the web is they'll never crack down on everything. The truth will still circulate but it could become much more scarce. You'd do best to get an ear for idiots and silver tongues.

Don't fret though, we are still sympathetic for our father country. No one will let this go too far.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: pianoasis

The great thing about the web is they'll never crack down on everything. The truth will still circulate but it could become much more scarce.

When we have to start logging on using Biometrics some people will never voice dissent again.
The TPP act has 29 new regulations or policies in it and 25 of them involve internet regulation so it's already started.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 11:14 PM
link   

So will you allow that UK laws can and perhaps even will be abused in the near future, as to allow the effective criminalisation of free speech?

Any law can be abused. That's where the court system comes into play.
But as has been repeatedly pointed out, free speech is not illegal in the UK.

edit on 8/15/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Is freedom of speech illegal in North Korea? Explicitly illegal and defined as in freedom of speech is a crime?

No, freedom of speech is protected by the North Korean Constitution.

Although the constitution theoretically guarantees freedom of speech, constitutional provisions calling for adherence to a “collective spirit” restrict in practice all reporting that is not sanctioned by the government.

freedomhouse.org...

edit on 15-8-2015 by Semicollegiate because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join