It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Driving Your Car Will Soon Be Illegal

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   
And so it begins....

This will be what will happen in the future because the logic will be human driven cars cause more deaths than autonomous vehicles.

Driving a car will be illegal by 2030. Our economy will be severely impacted as millions of truck drivers, cabbies and delivery people are put out of work. In this era of endless innovation, man’s century-long relationship with the automobile is about to be permanently disrupted.

The reason has nothing to do with millennials, Uber, climate change or improvements in mass transportation. Driving should and will be made illegal because we now have the technology to prevent deadly traffic accidents; one of the greatest causes of premature deaths around the globe. More than 1.2 million people are killed in car accidents globally each year (which is more than the total casualties suffered by both sides in the Korean War).

Last year, more than 275,000 Chinese, 238,000 Indians and 33,000 Americans died in preventable traffic accidents. Since Ralph Nader first took on the auto industry by publishing Unsafe at Any Speed in 1965, automobile manufacturers have radically improved the safety and reliability of motor vehicles.

techcrunch.com...:t7Re

This will be the rationale as autonomous vehicles get better and more advanced overtime. They will probably start with stretches of roads and highways that can only be driven by autonomous vehicles and then there will be more reports saying 2 fatalities on the autonomous vehicle roads and 15,000 fatalities on roads driven by humans.

Google’s autonomous vehicles have now logged more than one million miles on roads dominated by human-driven cars. Subjected to the same real-world road conditions as us mere mortals, self-driving cars have been through rain, sleet and snow. Autonomous vehicles have driven the equivalent of circumnavigating the globe 40 times — without incident.

In fact, self-driving machines have been hit by human drivers 11 times, but never been the cause of a single accident. According to the data, human driver error is responsible for 94 percent of all crashes across the planet. And regardless of the amount of education or training, human behavior behind the wheel is not improving. Alcohol is now responsible for more than a third of all traffic-related fatalities worldwide.

I don't think this is a bad idea for future generations. If you think about it today people will say no way. I love driving my car but my 6 year old nephew and his children might not even have driver licenses for humans when they get older. People driving cars might be in some museum some day and future generations might looking at driving a car like we look at the horse and buggy. Also, I think 2030 is a little optimistic, I say 2050-2060.
edit on 15-8-2015 by neoholographic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

Could have sworn I have read of several accidents Google cars have been in, but oh well.

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Eating should be made illegal too since choking is such a hazard and we now have the technology to put everyone on IVs.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Reallyfolks

Could have sworn I have read of several accidents Google cars have been in, but oh well.

Absolutely correct and in every case the driver of the other car was a human and was at fault.

The expression "but oh well" means what exactly ?

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I do think this will happen, but 2030 is only 15 years away. More like 2060 like the OP said. I love driving my car, but If there was a safer way to move around at my own convinience then yeah, it would be a good thing.
Google cars have had a few minor bumps & accidents, but so did the car when they were first developing it. It'll take time but they'll eventually master it and cars driven by humans will slowly die out.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: yorkshirelad

originally posted by: Reallyfolks

Absolutely correct and in every case the driver of the other car was a human and was at fault.

But oh well could have been wrong on the stories and couldn't remember the details

The expression "but oh well" means what exactly ?

It means I might have been wrong about seeing the stories and didn't know the details of them if I actually read them. As in oh well, maybe I was off in my thinking.
edit on 15-8-2015 by Reallyfolks because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   

I don't think self driving will be made illegal by 2030.
I think insurance will be prohibitively expensive if you choose to drive yourself.

The auto industry and medical community make too much money off of our love for going fast for it to be made illegal any time soon.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   

And millions upon millions of jobs lost.

Brilliant idea!

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: KawRider9

And millions upon millions of jobs lost.

Brilliant idea!

I think you can't look at these things through the eyes of 2015. In 2050-2060 many jobs today will be obsolete because of technology. You might not need cooks in a restaurant if 3-D Printing and nanotechnology advance to a point where people can just have a Reuben and Fries printed when they go out to eat.

They will adjust.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   
It MIGHT happen in places like the USA, UK, Canada, Aus and a few more European countries but i don't see it rolling out soon in Asia, Africa or S.America very soon - the roads are not good enough.

Even large parts of the so called first world has appalling road conditions.

So who's paying the billions required to upgrade the roads

Oh I guess that'll be us taxpayers.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I wonder who's going to pay for the brand new self driving car for that minimum/low wage employee...

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace
I wonder who's going to pay for the brand new self driving car for that minimum/low wage employee...

When you look at the trend, cars are getting smaller and smaller. In the future, you may not even need to own a car. A small self driving car will just pick you up when you need to go somewhere.

I don't think you will see many Humvee's in the future.
edit on 15-8-2015 by neoholographic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   

When has a logical shortcoming postponed a senseless edict?

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: neoholographic

When you look at the trend, cars are getting smaller and smaller. In the future, you may not even need to own a car. A small self driving car will just pick you up when you need to go somewhere.

I don't think you will see many Humvee's in the future.

I call dibs on the slogan " you can take my humvee when you pry the steering wheel from my cold, dead hands"

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Wow some of those cars are so ugly. I'd rather walk to where I have to go rather than be seen in one of those. What about big families? Car each?

edit on Sat, 15 Aug 2015 12:02:27 -0500121582015000000k by rhynouk because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: rhynouk

Wow some of those cars are so ugly. I'd rather walk to where I have to go rather than be seen in one of those. What about big families? Car each?

It is funny how Neil Peart predicted that cars would be "two lanes wide" due to safety regulations by now.

Oh, I'm sure the irony is not lost on Ralph Nader.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   
GReat.....HAckers will have a field day with this. Manipulating GPS to cause accidents and or killing off someone in a "accident" will be common place.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Doubt that, they couldn't eliminate the classic car guys. I also don't believe that autonomous vehicles and manned vehicles can share the road. To many stupid people behind the wheel, I dread having to drive certain cars in traffic worrying someone is going to just randomly decide to occupy the space I am in.

I wouldn't mind having a tiny little means of conveyance for the short trips to and from work or for small errands, then we can save the cars for just cruising or longer road trips.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   
There will probably be some kind of subscription-type of service where you pay a monthly fee for a certain level of service, kind of like a cell phone plan. If you need to move more people or cargo, you pay a higher monthly fee for more or larger vehicles. People will probably not own the cars, just have access to them as a service.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Cars are already coming out with autonomous parking and collision avoidance features. Tesla is fine tuning a lane passing feature. Tesla is also working on a FULL autopilot feature, but they say it won't be ready for a few years because they're still tweaking it so it can be used on roads with faded markings and/or odd arrangements. BUT the fact is some (or most?) of the tesla model cars out there can be updated with this software RIGHT NOW. They just need to finish the software.

They're also having to work with regulations in different states to make it legal. Some states have stiffer regulations than others.

VOLVO wants their cars to be self driving by 2020. All automakers have programs now for this. They're all installing autonomous features. There'll be millions of fully self driving cars by 2025, I think.

I think people wil lbe allowed to drive cars for the foreseeable future. People who driive manually might have higher insurance rates. Also keep in mind the autopilot can always be runing in the background to correct errors, so evne if a person chooses to drive manually, many accidents will be prevented anyway. These kinds of autocorrect features are available now. There're many cars on the road which have collision avoidance and other features working in tandem with manual driving.
edit on 15-8-2015 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join