It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Driving Your Car Will Soon Be Illegal

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

You broke the 4th wall

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 10:38 PM
link   

I am so gonna be renegade in my car till the day I die. Mad max here I come.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: smirkley

I am so gonna be renegade in my car till the day I die. Mad max here I come.

Land-barge Crown Vic. V-8 with a police-interceptor package.
Let the games begin.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I can't see this happening. Prior to moving to the city, I lived on a mountain in the far northern rainforests. To get up the driveway, you had to cross a swiftly flowing creek and then maneuver up a steep and narrow switchback cut into the side of the mountain. The road was rough and rocky. You needed a 4 wheel drive for that. I do not see a self driving car getting up that driveway, and that wasn't even the worst driveway I've been on.

And what happens when one of these self driving cars hit something on the road? Out in the middle of nowhere a lot of people have unfenced properties and cattle become really dangerous if you hit them, they can flip your car. And there's other faster animals dashing out onto the road as well.

These cars might, maybe, become popular in cities, but not out in the country.

It's a horrible idea anyway, curbing your freedom in the name of safety.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 12:00 AM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

I wonder who's going to pay for the brand new self driving car for that minimum/low wage employee...

No-one, I hope.

The world has far too many cars in it. We should be taking them away from people, not giving them more.

Public transport works fine. Private vehicles and their use should be so strictly limited and regulated.

Yes, I drive. I love to drive, both on and off the road, two wheels and four. I will miss it hugely.

Nevertheless.

edit on 16/8/15 by Astyanax because: of bad formatting.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 12:02 AM
link   
a reply to: StratosFear

Doubt that, they couldn't eliminate the classic car guys.

Maybe not in America, but in the civilized world it won't be hard.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 12:04 AM
link   

edit on 16/8/15 by Astyanax because: second thoughts.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 12:10 AM
link   
It will be an option at first, like cruise control. We might end up not even owning the cars we ride in. I would welcome an end to the road carnage.
a reply to: neoholographic

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 12:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

From what I understand, Cuba runs on classic cars.
Oh, wait. I see what you did there.

edit on 8/16/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 12:45 AM
link   
There'll need to be a huge investment in making any form of public transport available to everyone first so that will be the growth industry leading up to the 'revolution' and I can't see that happening in just 5 years, not here at least. We have large numbers of people on the roads driving their personal vehicles who shouldn't be due to age or various levels of impairment for the simple reason that they have no alternative means of getting their supplies.

We might need to house everyone in high density communities with easy (foot/wheelchair) access to all the services they require without the need to get in a vehicle in order to make this happen (getting human drivers off the roads). Getting all these visions of the futuristic ghettos depicted in a number of scifi movies now and it's not a pretty picture.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 02:24 AM
link   

If they ever try to introduce legislation to control car ownership in some of the more backward States, you're going to see a lot of stuff like this:

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Awesome.
Is it electric?

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 02:27 AM
link   
I said the same thing when they built those darned highways... I told my friends "Yep, watch. They'll tell us we can't take our horses and buggies on 'em". And, sure 'nuff.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Is it electric?

Seven-litre iron-head V8.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Well, that's pretty awesome too.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 03:21 AM
link   
a reply to: jonnywhite

There're also experimental devices police are developing which can shut off the engine in a vehicle, making pursuing a suspect a thing of the past.

If we let this all develop as it goes ,then our lives will be automously controlled by the year 2040

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 04:01 AM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

Nobody will ever stop me riding my motorbike. Legal or not.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Most "civilized" countries are the size of one of our states. France is a bit smaller than Texas for example, while Germany is a bit bigger than New Mexico. England is only a little more than half the size of California. All the people and cities are crammed in to that area, so it makes mass transportation easier. Many don't realize just how Big the U.S. is. We have a lot of room and connecting trains to transport our population from city to city is not easily done and would take years and billions, if not trillions, of dollars.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

How much are you spending on cars?

That wasn't really my point, though.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I think if I heard correctly the studies and companies like apple and google will be creating a trend where car ownership, at least these so called autonomous smart cars, will foster an environment where car ownership will not be a common thing.

I guess we will poke facebook and apple for a ride at some time, and the car will show up in the driveway. For a fee of course.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join