It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Say Climate Change Has Reached the ‘Point of No Return’

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: kellyjay

Except that it is not a possible cause since solar irradiance has not changed significantly.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: glend

When freezing temperatures exist at lower altitudes hail is more possible in colder climates.
No. Like I said, you show little understanding of weather.

Strong thermal updrafts are caused by strong lapse rates. A strong lapse rate means that temperatures at low altitudes are higher than temperatures at high altitudes. During winter, lapse rates are reduced because surface temperatures are lower. That's why sailplane and hang glider pilots (like me) get better flights in warmer months rather than colder months. That's why hail (and thunder) storms occur more often in warm months.
pages.bangor.ac.uk...

edit on 8/15/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Except that it is not a possible cause since solar irradiance has not changed significantly.

the sun has cycles phage, solar maximums and minimums,

The solar cycle or solar magnetic activity cycle is the periodic change in the Sun's activity (including changes in the levels of solar radiation and ejection of solar material) and appearance (changes in the number of sunspots, flares and other manifestations).

They have been observed (by changes in the sun's appearance and by changes seen on Earth, such as auroras) for centuries.

Cycles cause changes on the sun, in space, in the atmosphere and on the Earth's surface. While it is the dominant variable in solar activity, aperiodic fluctuations also occur

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
a reply to: Phage

You have to old enough to know what you are talking about. We just sold a wheat farm after 160yrs. because of the change. Because of the heat we don't get the multiple cuttings as in the past. I know what I see.

The denialists of climate change, or more correctly, denialists of the problem of climate change, like to trumpet simple lab studies that show increased yields with increased CO2.

Naturally, the notion that other things could overwhelm that effect (and are studied by serious scientists in the field) doesn't enter their consideration, because they are motivated to find simple and erroneous solutions (don't worry about it) for complex problems.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: kellyjay

You really think the scientists in the field never remembered that, or measured that effect?

An armchair 'gotcha' from somebody on the internet will think of something that the professionals somehow forgot for decades?

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Yes. I know, that's an 11 year sunspot cycle.
We're talking about solar irradiance, the amount of energy the sun puts out, not sunspots. It varies a bit with the solar cycle but has not changed much overall in the past century.

Over the time-scale of millions of years the change in solar intensity is a critical factor influencing climate (e.g., ice ages). However, changes in solar heating rate over the last century cannot account for the magnitude and distribution of the rise in global mean temperature during that time period and there is no convincing evidence for significant indirect influences on our climate due to twentieth century changes in solar output.

www.ucsusa.org...

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: mbkennel

originally posted by: MOMof3

You have to old enough to know what you are talking about. We just sold a wheat farm after 160yrs. because of the change. Because of the heat we don't get the multiple cuttings as in the past. I know what I see.

The denialists of climate change, or more correctly, denialists of the problem of climate change, like to trumpet simple lab studies that show increased yields with increased CO2.

Naturally, the notion that other things could overwhelm that effect (and are studied by serious scientists in the field) doesn't enter their consideration, because they are motivated to find simple and erroneous solutions (don't worry about it) for complex problems.

its kinda like the boy who cried wolf....we were given dates when america would be under water...been and gone with no change, we were told our winters would be warmer...yet we have seen record freezing temperatures....after a while people stop falling for it....people say now "in the future this will happen and that will happen" conveniently you will be dead when it does though so yanno....trust us were politicians an well funded scientists!

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Yes. I know, that's an 11 year sunspot cycle.
We're talking about solar irradiance, the amount of energy the sun puts out, not sunspots. It varies a bit with the solar cycle but has not changed much overall in the past century.

Over the time-scale of millions of years the change in solar intensity is a critical factor influencing climate (e.g., ice ages). However, changes in solar heating rate over the last century cannot account for the magnitude and distribution of the rise in global mean temperature during that time period and there is no convincing evidence for significant indirect influences on our climate due to twentieth century changes in solar output.

www.ucsusa.org...

does the sun not put out extra energy during solar maximums? all those CME's etc? also, what then is heating up the other planets in our solar system?
edit on 02/08/2015 by kellyjay because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   

does the sun not put out extra energy during solar maximums? all those CME's etc?

CMEs don't heat the planet (though there is some evidence that there may be connections with long term weather patterns, ENSO in particular). Electromagnetic radiation does. And that changes by less than 0.1% during the solar cycle.

also, what then is heating up the other planets in our solar system?
I thought you read the article you linked earlier.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   
People will believe almost anything. You're being fleeced of your money...again. quick, throw tax money at it, that will stop it...for the children!!!

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: RustyNailer

You're being fleeced of your money...again. quick, throw tax money at it, that will stop it.

Are you paying a carbon tax?
I'm not.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 07:49 PM
link   

does the sun not put out extra energy during solar maximums? all those CME's etc?

CMEs don't heat the planet (though there is some evidence that there may be connections with long term weather patterns, ENSO in particular). Electromagnetic radiation does. And that changes by less than 0.1% during the solar cycle.

weather patterns such as increased drought or flooding? typhoons, hurricanes etc? that people conveniently say is caused by climate change?

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   

a reply to: RustyNailer

You're being fleeced of your money...again. quick, throw tax money at it, that will stop it.

Are you paying a carbon tax?
I'm not.

YET....

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   

also, what then is heating up the other planets in our solar system?
I thought you read the article you linked earlier.

I did...basically it was the sun

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 07:53 PM
link   

That's why hail (and thunder) storms occur more often in warm months.

aha, so you are talking about normal conditions. The fact that hail storms occur in winter makes your point mute. Now be a good boy and say I'm wrong in front of a video camera a hundred times and post it here, I'm waiting with bated breath for you next post with video feed so be quick. BTW off topic but you might enjoy a sailplane video by bruno into a storm, fascinating stuff ... www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 07:53 PM
link   

weather patterns such as increased drought or flooding? typhoons, hurricanes etc?
No. Patterns such as, as I said, ENSO. There is some evidence of correlation, but correlation does not imply causation.

that people conveniently say is caused by climate change?
You'll find few climatologists making such claims about recent severe weather observations.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 08:07 PM
link   

weather patterns such as increased drought or flooding? typhoons, hurricanes etc?
No. Patterns such as, as I said, ENSO. There is some evidence of correlation, but correlation does not imply causation.

that people conveniently say is caused by climate change?
You'll find few climatologists making such claims about recent severe weather observations.

meh tbh i dont know much about this subject because i think its a load of BS lol

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 08:09 PM
link   

i dont know much about this subject because i think its a load of BS

Yeah. There are more than a few like you out there.
Thing is, you can do something about not knowing much. Or you can just call BS without knowing much.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   

i dont know much about this subject because i think its a load of BS

Yeah. There are more than a few like you out there.
Thing is, you can do something about not knowing much. Or you can just call BS without knowing much.

i mean i recycle, and try not to fart too much so i do my part, my carbon footprint is pretty low cuz i mostly cycle everywhere, but thats only because its easy soooo altho i might think its BS i still contribute

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I heard ladies don't fart at all.
Slacker.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join