It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge Rules Man Can Open Carry at Daughter's School

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 09:58 AM
link   
(I think this is the right forum)

source

What could go wrong? Other than it is also scary, it is not concealed, but OPEN. It means he can walk around holding a gun or have it in a holster uncovered? The school district is clear in their policy, but this guy went to court and a judge decided in his favor.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Yeah, now he can shoot all the children which is undoubtedly his evil plan.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Meanwhile, children are getting suspended and expelled for chewing Pop Tarts into the shape of a gun, or making finger guns during recess!

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: greencmp

Yeah, now he can shoot all the children which is undoubtedly his evil plan.

I didn't say that.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: windword

Meanwhile, children are getting suspended and expelled for chewing Pop Tarts into the shape of a gun, or making finger guns during recess!

The irony is astounding.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   

It means he can walk around holding a gun

No.. That's called brandishing a weapon, and is frowned upon in most jurisdictions... No matter where you are..

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 10:14 AM
link   

I fully understand the importance of private firearm ownership but this place is truly insane.

I can only imagine how confusing this must look to a child. Will children feel more secure or will they learn that the very definition of safety is the threat of instant lethal force? When an armed man shows up at the school gates, how are people supposed to react? Maybe the students should take cover and neutralize him? When you think about it, that is a very sorry life to be presented with.

In the midst of all this hyper violence culture and narcissistic display of guns, parents are faced with the task of explaining why problems must be solved without resorting to violence and war. A daunting task for parents in the US. Good luck.

Fear is a dead end America.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: CrawlingChaos

It means he can walk around holding a gun

No.. That's called brandishing a weapon, and is frowned upon in most jurisdictions... No matter where you are..

Carrying a gun in an elementary school unless you are a police officer is 'frowned upon'. I have no idea what he is doing.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: InverseLookingGlass

I fully understand the importance of private firearm ownership but this place is truly insane.

I can only imagine how confusing this must look to a child. Will children feel more secure or will they learn that the very definition of safety is the threat of instant lethal force? When an armed man shows up at the school gates, how are people supposed to react? Maybe the students should take cover and neutralize him? When you think about it, that is a very sorry life to be presented with.

In the midst of all this hyper violence culture and narcissistic display of guns, parents are faced with the task of explaining why problems must be solved without resorting to violence and war. A daunting task for parents in the US. Good luck.

Fear is a dead end America.

That is an excellent description of this situation.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Why is it OK for a police officer and not for a private citizen?

Seems like a double standard to me.
edit on 11-8-2015 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

source

What could go wrong? Other than it is also scary, it is not concealed, but OPEN. It means he can walk around holding a gun or have it in a holster uncovered? The school district is clear in their policy, but this guy went to court and a judge decided in his favor.

Open carry does not allow for him to hold or brandish the weapon, it allows for holstered carry in plane sight. It would also suggest that he is more than likely give that the judge ruled in his favor, trained and competent to own and operate said weapon. Why are you one of those no guns hippies?

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

source

it means he can carry a handgun in a holster. he cannot hold it in his hands. holding it in his hands is called brandishing. that's illegal whether you can open carry or not. permit or not. brandishing alone is usually several charges in the penal code if the authorities wish to pursue it. for example; if you do that you can and most probably will lose your carry permit. you can also be charged with various forms of assault and other crimes.
edit on 11-8-2015 by stormbringer1701 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I have no problem with him open carrying . It isn't like some School District rule proclaiming it to be a "weapons free zone" is going to stop some psycho from shooting up a school if that's what the voices in his head are telling him to do.
I would hope there would be someone sane with a weapon to stop the carnage.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   

You're attempting to envoke an emotional response with the statement 'he can walk around holding a gun.' Which is completely untrue. You also seem to be misinformed on open & concealed carry laws. They vary from State to State, but most often hold several items/thoughts in unison.

Depending on the State, for example my State it is not a criminal action to have a weapon in a school if you have a concealed carry permit.

Without a permit, that's another story. However what this man is doing, and what the judge has declared is nothing to "frown upon."

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Hi...in Michigan we can carry concealed dropping off or picking up our kids to and from school, but not carry ONTO or INTO a school. And thats for licensed carriers like myself.

Im not clear if he had a CCW/CPL and just wanted to carry it openly? Because even those of us carrying concealed legally, know we cant carry into school property.

Also, I don't think many of us licensee's would WANT to change the way we legally carry...

Thanks Reldra....MS

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: InverseLookingGlass

II can only imagine how confusing this must look to a child. Will children feel more secure or will they learn that the very definition of safety is the threat of instant lethal force? When an armed man shows up at the school gates, how are people supposed to react? Maybe the students should take cover and neutralize him?

another parent with a gun will think he is a threat...and boom.....

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Are you guys ever going to stop freaking out about this sort of thing?

How many times have you expressed your fears and concerns about law-abiding citizens carrying guns and how many times have you been proven wrong?

Concealed carry and open carry are now legal in nearly every part of the country but there hasn't been a problem from people LEGALLY exercising their rights.

It's about time you found something else to worry about.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Answer

that's pretty obvious circular reasoning - everybody is law abiding until they start shooting - so the obvious answer is no law abiding citizens every shoot people illegally!!

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aloysius the Gaul

that's pretty obvious circular reasoning - everybody is law abiding until they start shooting - so the obvious answer is no law abiding citizens every shoot people illegally!!

I'm talking about people who are licensed which means they are carrying legally. I'm also talking about people who possess their firearms legally.

People who carry without a permit in a state that requires a permit are breaking the law. Felons who possess firearms are doing so illegally.

Nice attempt to dismiss my point, though. It's tough to face facts when they completely disprove your world view, I know... it's ok.
edit on 8/11/2015 by Answer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   

not at all - certainly people owning guns illegally commit a vast majority of crimes - but of course most of those illegal weapons used to be legally owned before they were stolen, and guns can sometimes be bought legally in one jurisdiction and be counted as illegal in another without changing hands at all!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join