It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sorry Fast Food workers. You absolutely do not deserve $15 an hour.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Learn how to do your job and then maybe I'll support your cause. Until then, you deserve what you are getting payed currently. Learn how to take a customer's order and give it to him correctly, how he ordered it and then maybe I'll support your cause.

That includes not chocking burgers full of tomato slices, when the customer asked for "no tomatoes."
That includes not giving the customer Dr. Pepper when he asked for Coke.
That includes not giving the customer an attitude when you got his order wrong.

I understand that these might sound like petty things to complain about, and they are, I agree. However your job is to get customer's orders correctly and not mess them up.

I don't know the consequences for fast food workers when they get orders wrong. But I can say that if I screwed up at my job at the same rate that fast food workers get orders wrong, then I'd be fired on the spot.

Get a GED and work your butt off in college and you won't have to be begging for raises. They'll come to you on their own if you deserve them. Or maybe if you don't want to go down that route you should work your butt off flipping burgers and stop getting orders wrong and maybe soon you'll be promoted to manager.

+8 more 
posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Somebody got serve a bad burger and now has to tell us how he really feels. Great rant bud, be careful you don't fall off your high horse.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 01:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969
Somebody got serve a bad burger and now has to tell us how he really feels. Great rant bud, be careful you don't fall off your high horse.

no high horse here pal, I believe you deserve to get paid according to your job performance and skill.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 01:59 AM
link   
I always ask for mine with no tomatoes so it's fresh...no heat lamp stuff here for me.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 02:04 AM
link   
/signed

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 02:05 AM
link   
In a way, I can say I agree to an extent to these terms regarding your post.
Should minimum wage be raised? Yes, but it will eventually even out with the cost of living.
Should Fastfood employees get paid $15 an hour? Yes if they are managers and have been with the company for years, then id say they deserve that for their time with a company. Should new employees start at $15 ? Heck, no. I have a degree in my field and currenlty dont make that much.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 02:05 AM
link   
a reply to: muse7

Oh my bad, i didint know you decided what someones work is worth, a cashier at a gas station in switzerland makes 18 bucks an hour, a mc donalds employee in australia makes 15 bucks an hour.

But im happy that your rant opened my eyes lol

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Oh my bad, i didint know you decided what someones work is worth, a cashier at a gas station in switzerland makes 18 bucks an hour, a mc donalds employee in australia makes 15 bucks an hour.

The market decides what someone's job is worth. Here in the USA the market has decided that entry level jobs that don't even require a high school education are worth minimum wage.

And good for them, maybe these burger flippers demanding $15 dollars an hour should move to Switzerland or Australia.
edit on 9-8-2015 by muse7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Some one has to flip burgers, in case you didn't notice there is a huge demand for it in our nation since those companies are doing quite fine for them selfs.

Must be nice to have never made a mistake at yor job. Because I guess that would mean that you don't deserve your pay either.

Have you worked a retail job? If you have, have you really never ran into an issue where the customer says they said one thing but you don't think it happened that way?

Eta: I will say 15 may be to much. But a living wage that is equal to inflation would be good.

edit on thSun, 09 Aug 2015 02:16:55 -0500America/Chicago820155580 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 02:16 AM
link   

When cost of living adjustments are factored in the US has a higher median middle class income than AUS, so they pay for that high minimum wage by lowering the income of the rest of the middle class.

No thanks.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 02:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

I have worked retail, I definitely did not deserve $15 an hour for it.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 02:17 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

That was more about the mistakes.

I don't think 15 a hour is the answer either. I did put an edit.
edit on thSun, 09 Aug 2015 02:18:04 -0500America/Chicago820150480 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 02:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

[quote[Some one has to flip burgers, in case you didn't notice there is a huge demand for it in our nation since those companies are doing quite fine for them selfs.

Yep there's a lot of demand for them and the fact that a kid in high school can do the job should be enough to settle the debate whether they deserve 15 an hour or 7 an hour.

Must be nice to have never made a mistake at yor job. Because I guess that would mean that you don't deserve your pay either.

People who are prone to mistakes where I work don't tend to last very long, they also don't tend to get raises often.

Have you worked a retail job? If you have, have you really never ran into an issue where the customer says they said one thing but you don't think it happened that way?

I worked at a hardware store in my junior year of high school, never did I give a customer attitude while working there.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 02:21 AM
link   
I think they deserve 15 an hour, in fact I thin a lot of positions need raises. Not only do they deal with "The Customer" Some people that's their lively hood. A person who lost their job of 20 years two old to get back into their profession, to old to learn a new skill.. a person who lost their pension or retirement ran out.. a single mother or father who doesn't have time or money for "GED" or college education. In-fact a lot of these people including most mid level managers and shift managers live at the poverty line if not below it. It's not going to make or break anyone, compared to most of the world we underpay our employees especially the service industry. Before you rant and complain and bitch, maybe walk a mile in their shoes, get to know them before you lump them all together.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 02:26 AM
link   

That is quite a pious attitude there. Do you know what a fast food worker in China makes? How about Brunei or Zanzabar? Are their human lives worth more or less or are your blanket statement at risk of falling apart?

Bottom line is $15 per hour in some places is worth more than in others. As such, Oligarchies (federal government) make blanket statements to fix something and create more unintended problems.

Then there is this:

It's also possible that McDonald's keeps its prices down overseas by squeezing more productivity out of its workers. Researchers studying the impact of minimum wage increases on American fast food chains in the Deep South have found that while restaurants mostly cope by raising prices, they also respond by handing their employees more responsibility. It stands to reason that in places like Europe and Australia, managers have found ways to get more mileage out of their staff as well.

Or if not, they've at least managed to replace a few of them with computers. As Michael Schaefer, an analyst with Euromonitor International, told me, fast food franchises in Europe have been some of the earliest adopters of touchscreen kiosks that let customers order without a cashier.

So after your euphoria and equalization you realize that you have just doomed the job; good job but don't worry because the workers that have been replaced can always take up computer programming or robotics training…

wait….

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 02:26 AM
link   

I didn't ask if you gave them attitude, of course you didn't. I asked if there was ever a difference of opinion when a mistake was made.

If they are working 40 hours I think they deserve something that doesn't force them to get a second or third job.

edit on thSun, 09 Aug 2015 02:32:19 -0500America/Chicago820151980 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 02:30 AM
link   
If for any other reason, fast food workers deserve $15/hr just for having to put up with arrogant customers who have nothing more important to worry about in their lives than the nasty tomatoes on a disgusting piece of meat that's going to give them colon cancer in the first place.

Just so they can feel right and superior.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 02:34 AM
link   
a reply to: notmyrealname

Not sure if i get what you mean, so your saying big corp wants more money and has to make there employees work harder so they make more money.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 02:41 AM
link   
It isn't just about burger flippers.
What about people who care for others? Do you want a carer worrying about money while looking after your elderly parents?.
No matter what you do as long as you do a good job you desearve a living wage.
9 quid an hour soon fir the uk.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Yes for the occasional one who couldn't give a damn but has to be there in order to get some other piffling benefit to live you are probably right - but!

Its a big 'but, things to complain about may not be so petty.

Its not the exact low wage that's part of the problem you highlight for the individual working flipping burgers, its a number of other things such as not being able to earn enough to support either yourself or your family. Its also VIP the cost of living plus its rumbled in the UK the bank rate is going up which will effect so many costs and it always comes out of the pockets of the poorest, never the richest. Working family tax credits etc etc are all frozen for four years so the bank rate and inflation will really hit the low paid.

Also not everyone is equipped for college and we don't need everyone to have a degree. We need people doing the mundane but essential jobs in the community that don't require qualifications, but do require being done regularly and well. We need to have an affordable cost of living in our cities for these people and to respect the work they do…. How often do I actually value a rocket scientist - I don't to be hones, because most of us don't have a personal need for rockets and we managed with better reception for our phones and tv's prior to the digital age (sorry to say it but its true). How do I value a road sweeper, rubbish collection team and a lot of other workers 'mundane jobs' - damn high because they affect my everyday life.

We are getting to the point whereby our lives are being affected only by the very rich who call the shots and the governments have to manage on ever decreasing budgets simply because of the money bled from society and the increasing birth rate and flood of immigrants who often come empty handed with dependants all of whom need financial help to set up. Its time we looked at the money sequester away by this 'precious little lot of greedies who couldn't count all the money they have in any case, rarely pay their taxes on it or let alone spend it.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join