It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sorry Fast Food workers. You absolutely do not deserve $15 an hour.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 04:01 AM
link   
a reply to: muse7

Pay isn't only for skill; it's also for jobs that are crappy and undesirable. You complain that they don't deserve more money yet the people who supply them and the corporations themselves get TONS of "undeserved" money through subsidies and tax loopholes.

The ones doing the crappiest work in that industry are the ones getting paid the least. How many CEOs could do their job for more than a month?

It's not all about skill. When I see the crap those guys go through and hear the stories, I ask why they stay there. There seems to be a miasma of hopelessness that surrounds a lot of people. The only way out for many of them seems to be to accumulate tons of debt getting maybe an associates and then trying to pay off their debt with what will likely be another minimum wage job.

Bottom line is those places need those workers and will get by just fine paying them more. The small franchise owners will get likely get reimbursed by the corporation they belong to otherwise they lose footholds.

We will eventually hit a threshold with our ratio of automation vs organic workforce and we'll need to shift into a post-employment economy. Until then, people gotta eat and I don't like that my taxes are currently paying their wages (through the welfare they likely need to resort to) when it should be paid by the employers.

You guys want to see less "entitlement" programs? Make minimum wage high enough to where we stop seeing full-time workers needing government programs just to eat.

And besides, I wouldn't do their job for $20/hour so I don't think it's unreasonable to pay somebody 15 for slaving away in your best interests.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 04:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Theprimevoyager

I hear you mate..but you do deserve your $15 an hour putting up with customers that continually stuff up their orders and complain.

Most of the time its the dumb flamin customers who send 15 old kids home crying and then its up to dumb flamin parents like myself to convince them to go back to work because its better than welfare.

Stupid, stupid customers,

Bally

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 06:16 AM
link   
a reply to: muse7

I said something like this the other month.

Amount of times some pox faced dip# gets my order wrong is infuriating!

I did fast food when at uni, i got orders right and guess what? I was supivisor in 6 months on £9 a hour....
edit on 9-8-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 06:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: bally001
a reply to: Theprimevoyager

I hear you mate..but you do deserve your $15 an hour putting up with customers that continually stuff up their orders and complain.

Most of the time its the dumb flamin customers who send 15 old kids home crying and then its up to dumb flamin parents like myself to convince them to go back to work because its better than welfare.

Stupid, stupid customers,

Bally

Maybe that attitude is why you earn minimum wage!

What happened to the customer is always right?

I did my job without that entitled attitude and shot up the ranks promotion wise.
Before I quit and got a real job I was on nearly twice the hourly rate at the newbies.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 06:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

I couldn't have said it better myself!

originally posted by: crazyewok
Maybe that attitude is why you earn minimum wage!

What happened to the customer is always right?

I did my job without that entitled attitude and shot up the ranks promotion wise.
Before I quit and got a real job I was on nearly twice the hourly rate at the newbies.

Speaking as one of those customers, no, we are absolutely not always right. Unless "always right" is supposed to mean "entitled pompous dick looking for people to treat poorly to make themselves feel better about their miserable self." Then it applies, to the pompous dicks who want to make an absolute ass out of themselves publicly. Plenty of those end up on Youtube for everyone to mock (and earned every ounce of scorn)
Every single time I see & overhear someone acting like a jackass to a service worker, I want to make them crap teeth for a week. Just who the hell do those people think they are? No one special, that's who. You want good treatment from an hourly worker? Dish some out, or you don't deserve it yourself.
edit on 8/9/2015 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 06:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

wow talk about miss the god dammed point.

I was not talking about being out right rude, in which case a company reserves the right to remove you from the store.

What I mean by right is getting a customers order right.

If I place a order I expect the company to get it right. Not consistently make mistakes then get snarky if I complain (Respectfully) when they do get it wrong!

IF you are respectful to the staff then YES the customer is always right.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 07:01 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

A real job?.
Didn't think you were an elitist ewok.
Disappointed. ..

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 07:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

A real job?.
Disappointed. ..

I should qualify that as real "career".

Come on one doesn't get into flipping burgers for a long term career do they now?

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 07:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

A real job?.
Disappointed. ..

I should qualify that as real "career".

Come on one doesn't get into flipping burgers for a long term career do they now?

Well that's really the core of the issue, isn't it? People are trying to take entry level, menial jobs that used to be considered a way to work through school or pick up some cash for summer break or whatever, and turn them into a career.

I was always told there's a difference between a "job" and a "career." And now some people are trying to blur that line.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 08:04 AM
link   

For some it is a career.
Just because some look down on the work doesn't mean it is a worse career than others.
Not everyone can go to uni and it has been shownn even when people do they can not get the job to do with their degree.
I do a job you lot may think is beneath you but it is a vital job I do very well at. I bet if any of you did it for a day you would agree I deserve double pay.
Like I said all cogs in the wheel lets show people respect for whatever job they do.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Because the very rich - who govern us regardless of our electoral system have to put their money somewhere. It probably mostly goes into shares in the companies they then protect with various legislation they pass and a blind eye to the tax situation - why pay taxes when you can pay bigger dividends to your beneficiaries etc? There are a lot of elitist late comers to the tax situation that the poor have been lashed to since year dot.

Big business which has been allowed by governments to kill off opposition regardless of the monopolies Boards and fair trading practises, has taken over so many businesses that its their say over what a government can and can't do and especially when the government lets them off the hook but takes tax payers money to give back to the low paid which benefits the companies wages bill. Less money is in circulation because we are finding that the wealthy tend more to keep their money locked away in tax havens so it doesn't percolate into a country's economy to boost the living standards of workers and their quality of life. Why we bother with politicians and elections when its not the politicians who decide policy is another topic. Well time it got media coverage to.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 08:10 AM
link   

For some it is a career.
Just because some look down on the work doesn't mean it is a worse career than others.
Not everyone can go to uni and it has been shownn even when people do they can not get the job to do with their degree.
I do a job you lot may think is beneath you but it is a vital job I do very well at. I bet if any of you did it for a day you would agree I deserve double pay.
Like I said all cogs in the wheel lets show people respect for whatever job they do.

I know what you do and I have full respect for you as to me it is a vital service. The fact you get paid as little as you do is a symptom of how neglected our social services are.

But for fast food? There is no reason to make it a long time job. You dont need a degree to get out of fast food.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 08:12 AM
link   
It´s a never ending spiral:

Customer: I always have to check my order and more times than not, something is missing/wrong/looks like eaten before("made with love"). If they would do a decent job, they would get paid more (#1)

FastFoodWorker: Why should I work my ass of for that money?

Customer: Well, you applied to the job, didn´t you?

FastFoodWorker: Because I have to live from something!

(#1 is an assumption made by the customer and not self fulfilling)

There is also the other side of the coin.
When I order something, I always say (translated from German) "I´d like to have this this and this please".
I´m polite. More often than not, the cashier/servant at the window is also polite.
But when you have to complain because something is missing, done wrong ("Have it your way") or the icecream is made at the moment you order and you get it 10 minutes later and is more like a milkshake, it´s the hot weather, you did not say you "without cucumber" or you ate it.

One time there were three women pressed into that little space behind the window screaming at me because I dared to tell them that I will not accept that four icecreams (in a polite way, I asked maybe there ice machine is broken) and that I do not want another batch because the second one was also not ice more like milky water. The people with me also did not want it anymore.
The refused to give me my money back and accused me it was 15 minutes ago when I had the recipe with timecode and was told to wait at the parking lot and the recipe was handed to me that moment.

I understand there are pricks on both sides but if things finally start to function at those places, it could be that customers are getting more happy at the drive.

When I occasionally drive through McDonalds to get some fast breakfast for friends that stayed (5 McCrossaints, not all for me), you can count on that douchebag in the kitchen to take his time to check WHO ordered 5 McCrossaints. You get ridiculed by them! And dare you to say something before you get your order. That meat patty might hit the floor one or two times. And until such persons get filtered out, it will always be the same.

In my eyes, it´s the fault of those franchises. Because they started putting desperate people into work for that money.
I would NOT mind paying more if I can rely on a decent service. But then, I also can go to a nice restaurant, IF I have the time.

Then there are people like my Ex-Boss, who, from the first second shows them their opinion about them. And he wonders he always gets the extra cucumber or hamburger instead of cheeseburger.....
edit on 9-8-2015 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 08:13 AM
link   

For you maybe. My mate runs a macdees and would disagree with you in that he has worked there ten years and does cpnsider it a career.
Just because you got out doesn't mean everyone sees it as a crap career.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 08:15 AM
link   

For you maybe. My mate runs a macdees and would disagree with you in that he has worked there ten years and does cpnsider it a career.
Just because you got out doesn't mean everyone sees it as a crap career.

Ahh well thats different.

He obviously put his effort in and got into management. I would say that is a career.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Ok, I worked at Dairy Queen in high school. It took about 15 minutes to master the deep frier. A monkey could run it if you had a big enough hair net.
Now the real important part of the story.
When I was at my next interview a year later, the lady says. "You worked at Dairy Queen for a year."
Yes I did.
"You opened and closed, ran the register and have a good reference letter from your manager."
Yes ma'am
"Can you start Monday?"
Yup......

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   
ill just say the golden rules of fast food if u dont wanaq get sick and have ur order wrong

1 turn ur damm car off u may think its quiet but u can hear a pin drop on the other end so ur car is louder than u
2 turn ur radio off even if ur the car behind them
3 speak up and at the box the mic is not that good its like talking to ur cell from 10 feet away
4 i dont know why people think this is a good idea IF YOUR NOT THE DRIVER DO NOT TRY TO PLACE UR OWN ORDER U WILL NOT BE HERD
5 be really nice u get 100 aholes a day but only 1 or 2 really nice people
6 if u dont want to fell like u are tacobell at 3 am hand they some money they wont see it comeing and will be shure ur food is fresh

u do all that ud be amazed how good fast food can be

but ur a aggorgent ahole with a lkoud car geting frustrated and sreaming at the guy yea ur getting that old burger pattie 1/2 asses

remeber everything u say the cook hears to and acts acordingly so dont say things like dont let the spick touch my burger caz thell be uceing the bun as tp befor u eat it

and yea iv only had 1 job worse than fast food and it was soveling horse #

well atleast as orer taker cooking was cool since i have been a cook my whole life but dealing with the people is the worst

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Hahaha I am just waiting for this to happen so I can have a good laugh. I wonder what these people will do when they lose there jobs to people with much stronger work ethic. Whats going to happen is a bunch of hard working construction workers will take those jobs. Why work in the sun busting your ass for less or equal amounts of money when you can work in the AC and only have to deal with #ty customers?

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: theyknowwhoyouare

Tbh I bet most would pick construction over serving folk.
But if it makes people with good wlrk ethics get jobs good.
It is not just about burger flippers many types of hard work get min wage not a livable one.
edit on 9-8-2015 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   
EVERYONE deserves a LIVING wage. Period.

Do you know how much it kills me to pay my starting employees $15 an hour? I die inside every friday. BUT THEY CAN NOT SURVIVE ON LESS IN THIS ECONOMY.

Here in Denver, it is next to impossible to find a one bedroom apartment under $1,000. You can room with others, but an average room for rent is $700. Adding in the other basic necessities of just SURVIVING leaves most who make less than $10 an hour with not very much. And that's assuming we are talking about a single person.
I absolutely support minimum wages be raised to $15 an hour in bigger cities. And all the other guys up the chain should get a pay bump as well.

Not everyone can be upper management, CEO's, business owners, skilled tradesmen, etc. We need dishwashers, servers, cooks, cashiers just as much as we need the big guys for this world to go round.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join