It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Updated: Cops Say Video of Them Eating Marijuana Edibles During a Raid Violated Their Privacy

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Yeah....just read my signature below. It sums up my thoughts on this matter.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 01:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: AlaskanDad
It gets even better:

The three officers have received threats since the raid and have incurred damages, including attorney’s fees and lost wages, according to the suit

source

Sounds like the officers want some money besides their jobs back!

Are they getting 40 hrs a week in paid leave and suing for lost overtime, (scratches head) I really do wonder about that?

Any other job where smoking marijuana is not allow on the job(even before hand) employees would be reprimanded and possibly by law enforcement themselves. Guess somehow they think there is immunity from the smoking to being unsafe on the job after to the camera tampering.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 02:02 AM
link   
a reply to: SecretKnowledge

Why yes of course and that is the law in every state. The reason why you see signs informing you upon walking into a store that you are being recorded and once you cross the threshold you have provided your consent to not only being recorded, in some cases being searched. Some states allow a person to be recorded as long as one party in the conversation is aware of being recorded but this is very steep ground and one could fall down hill very fast.

These officers may gain a little ground using this argument in the legal arena but not for long, it is basically a defense lawyer throwing in an off white flag attempting every trick in his or her arsenal in a futile attempt to save the clients behind

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: AlaskanDad

So it literally is one law for them and one law for everybody else? That is disgusting, none of that muck over here in the UK.

Why do departments of the American police force who have sworn to protect the public and uphold the law act unlawfully?

Such displays of unprofessionalism. I know they are people at the end of the day, but if someone was filmed commiting a crime against their knowledge does that make it illegal?

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Wait a minute, citizens have to get permission from a cop to record them during their interactions? I didn't know this.
edit on 05amWed, 05 Aug 2015 11:32:35 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 11:31 AM
link   

I still laugh at those idiots for using the battering ram on the door that opened outwards. They could barely get in the damn place, all they had to do was pull the door open.

Now this almost tops that lmao!

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Involutionist
Yeah....just read my signature below. It sums up my thoughts on this matter.

whats mad is that only in this country would these cops get paid leave and have 'like-minded' attorneys defend them.

so if I get caught on video doing drugs I wont get fired? or is this just a LEO privilege?

there has to be something our water ... because if this entire story was in a movie plot it would be a comedy...
but this is reality..

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   
The U.S.A. should establish a special unbiased federal judge and prosecutor specialized only in law enforcement and public servant crimes

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: DJMSN

"As long as on person in the conversation knows they are being recorded"

This may be a stupid assumption, but let's say that I owned a store with hidden surveillance but no signs saying so. In some states this may be legal, because one person in the conversation, me, knows they are being recorded?

If this were true in these idiot cops case, they're permission to be recorded wouldn't matter because one party in the conversation (store owner) knew they were being recorded?

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Here a little info from: VideoSurveillance.com - Security Camera & Video Surveillance Systems Experts

Risks of Department Store Security Cameras

Privacy – While video surveillance in public areas throughout department stores is a widely accepted security measure, it's considered a potential breach of privacy to install cameras in areas such as employees break rooms, bathrooms, and dressing rooms.

Vandalism – In the event that a thief or employee tampers with a store surveillance camera, other security measures should be in place to make up for the lost signal.

source

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
They will lose on this claim.

California case law is overwhelming in this area of privacy claims.

Business owners will have to claim it was for security purposes only and not ease-dropping, the case will be tossed out of court and ruled in favor of the business owners.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

Thank you for posting this.

When this first happened one of the FIRST things I said was that this is video proof of them doing illegal drugs while on duty.

They should be fired. But I am glad they were at least suspended (with pay?).

That said, once again, the rationale is not that what they were doing was illegal, but they got caught.

Scum.

That's right ! They're no better than the people they were raiding. And, how was their destruction of the remaining video cams legal ? Does a search warrant give them the all clear to destroy someone else's property ? It's a sad, sad situation.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   
The boys in blue.

Bad boys bad boys..........

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi
The boys in blue

Now days don't you mean "the boys in black tactical military gear"?
edit on 5-8-2015 by IslandOfMisfitToys because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: real_one

I still laugh at those idiots for using the battering ram on the door that opened outwards. They could barely get in the damn place, all they had to do was pull the door open.

Now this almost tops that lmao!

Looks as thought their door bashing training didn't include that doors on commercial building are suppose to open out.

If they win this then every criminal should be able to claim any witness invaded their privacy and it is not valid evidence or testimony.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   

So in other words, they committed a crime, were unprofessional
and made jokes about wanting to beat up a disabled lady in a wheel chair,
and they think they were the victims? HA HA HA HA HA

Great Post OP

Rebel 5

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I'm willing to bet it wasn't their first time getting high. Just like the ding dong that shot cop over 2 grams of weed. I wonder is smoking weed impaired their judgement at all? I know I did a lot of stupid stuff because of getting high.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: wantsome

First time....haha...not hardly.

The fact that they "tried" to break down a door that they only needed to pull open makes me think they were high before they even entered the place.

There is no set standard for drug testing police officers in the country. They are managed by their local districts.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 03:57 AM
link   
I've read my statements on this thread and the previous thread over this instance of stupidity...

As much as I love seeing these "figures of authority" make such asses of themselves, I am left with a nagging suspicion that this video will be used for training purposes with the "new model"....

Soon I feel that these dispensaries will be destroyed completely to assure that this mistake does not happen again.

What these pigs displayed was a momentary lapse of humanity... They wanted to use a little pot and bask in the glory of their victory...

This is where I am torn at the moment on the subject of this offense.

I generally argue that if cops would just smoke/use/ingest some refer, they would understand and stop being such douche-nozzles in the "war on drugs"....

Now I realize that many use it, and few care enough to back it.

This whole instance makes me sick... I would have considered a softer punishment for these corrupt swine, but with their counter suit, I hope they have the book thrown at them...

If the justice system fails the people in this instance, then I hope that the people take justice into their own hands and end the lives of these swine...

It's no different from the elite viewing us as cattle or sheep.. Cops have become swine...

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 04:37 AM
link   

You know, this isn't unlike the arrogance you see from politicians and the wealthiest people when they're caught out doing something criminal, they truly believe they are so privileged that they don't need to answer to people for what they do. It's like the politician who gets caught in a hotel room with prostitutes and a bag of white powder but then rails against the papers for reporting on it...

It seems to me that when some people are given so much freedom to do what they want, pandered to for years, they come to believe that they are "above" all others and entitled to more, even to the point of breaking the law.

It's very interesting from a psychological perspective and I think it says a lot about how police in the US have been used to being almost a criminal gang in themselves, without ever being challenged.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join