It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USA Today: Millions of fish dead in Pacific Northwest — Ocean conditions have ‘gone to hell’

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion

Look at the following video, the fish are GONE right off the coast of Canada. Why isn't everyone worried?

Hyperbole exhaustion?...Environmentalists have been shouting about the end of the world for so long that we have become deaf to legitimate crisis?

Propaganda exhaustion?...Big Oil and Energy companies have been conducting a semi-successful propaganda war and confusing and lying to the public.

Despair?...The propaganda that their is nothing we can do to reverse the crisis? True in the short term, but not true for our grand-children. Suck it up, prepare for the worst.

Hotter climate, rising sea levels, wilder more dangerous weather, less water, less food. That is the short term forecast. the long-term forecast is up to us.
edit on 3-8-2015 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

So with Climate Change and heat and drought in WA...it is possible that the Salmon are moving North to cooler water?

Alaska sockeye salmon glut expected to lower prices
www.adn.com...

Ironically both WA and AL suffer as in WA their industry dries up and in AL the market prices drop for Salmon.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   
And to think this is the salmon we eat..

Even if they are caught alive and sold seemingly satisfactory.. are they ok to be sold?

Big gaping sores? What could be causing that?

----

There are other great ocean health issues that makes Fukushima pale in comparison. Ocean acidification due to too much CO2 in the atmosphere is killing off phytoplankton (which generates half of the worlds oxygen), and is a base of the food chain. This is turn reducing numbers and health of organisms higher up in the food chain. Oceans have supposedly risen 30% in acidity in the last decade.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I think it's from the radiation from the Fukishima Power Plant, what else could do this? Not warm water, that's a bunch of BS. We already got a lot of Japan's stuff from over there. a reply to: rickymouse

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   

The governments will find a way to blame anything else including Global man made warming rather than take responsibility for fukushima fiasco, they will play along like is nothing until humans starts to spawn three heads

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: LindaMC1947

Having grown up fishing Wa rivers and having spent time in AK fishing rivers for salmon, I have some insight and knowledge of salmon and their spawning migrations up rivers.

WA is having a drought, low water makes for more scrapes and abrasions. Low water means warmer in the summer heat, warm water not only makes infections more likely but also more aggressive. Warm is low on oxygen and that causes die offs. We had die off here SE AK about 12 yrs ago, rivers were low all summer and water temps were way up. The area of Brewster and Pateros are in E WA where summer temps are most often near 100 f, so without the snow pack we are talking very warm water for migrating salmon.

While I am very suspicious of FU-shima, I do not feel WA's die off is related.

Edit: I have seeing lots of chroming bright silver salmon coming from our bays and river, if this was an FU-shima problem our salmon would be showing the same symptons.

edit on 3-8-2015 by AlaskanDad because: Edit as stated

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Of course massive amounts of nuclear run off would not have any effect on sea life! What a joke!

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   
the sad thing is that not just salmon, but many different fish,and water life are suffering and dying.
all the lakes, streams, rivers, and ponds are running hot. then there is all the wildlife that depends on the water life for food.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Sockeye Salmon is a very good tasting fish. I feel sad. Hopefully this isn't happening all over. I don't think that we will be told the true reason for this. Either it will be in conflict with economy or it is from pollution that we can't easily fix. I doubt if this is from raising temperature, it does not match symptoms I would think would think come from warmer water. The fish are soft and more tired when the water gets warmer.

Of course, it will be blamed on man made climate change. As if droughts at the west coast have never, ever happened before man. As if fisheries have never been stressed before. Everyone knows that fish have never gone extinct prior to man... ooops

Like Katrina was blamed on climate change (and Bush), and how massive hurricanes such as katrina would become common place...remember that? How effed up was all that propaganda? The exact opposite has happened. Yet immediately after Katrina the virtual extinction of man in coastal areas was predicted......

So much BS floating around these days I can only shake my head and wonder why people swallow crap by the mouthfuls and agree its a good thing.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

Just an FYI: There are no salmon in Alabama (AL)... at least not in rivers. In grocery stores, yea.

Alaska, (AK) on the other hand, has lots of Salmon.

Salmon return to their spawning grounds...they do not search for "better places". Hence the die offs in WA. If they searched for ideal spawning grounds then they would not be choking rivers in the NW.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 01:15 AM
link   
This is not Fukushima it is the consequence of a three state drought of the area, in OR, ID and WA causing this. From the lessened snow packs from a dry winter last year to yes, to the record temperatures as of late. Actually The record temp just dropped today from 90s plus, doubt it's going to mean much if the damage is done. Later in the month, as last year's temps, doubt it will stay under 90s plus degrees. The record temps are already said to be projecting another dry winter.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 01:52 AM
link   
So, the oceans are crap now, and yet they keep drilling for oil, selling our water off to the nearest bottled water, pop maker and hersheys #e bar maker so they can suck as much fresh water away from people who consequently need water in order to live and breathe. Yeah makes sense.. But the people partying and enjoying their fill won't complain because why... that would take away from their 'have to have it' lifestyle.

My Gawd, the world isn't going to Hell in a handbasket, it's been there for decades!
Hello tap tap, anyone fricking home?

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 02:23 AM
link   

People in general seem oblivious to the delicate position all life on earth is subject to. Consider that temperatures have been measured at a few billionths above absolute zero and the millions of degrees as we try to attempt nuclear fusion in labs. Consider that we can only breath (humans) up to roughly 30,000 feet above the earth without extra help, a mere 5 miles or so. Consider that water freezes or boils within a small scale of only 100 degrees celsius. Consider that the air we breath in our contained atmosphere has an oxygen content of about 21 percent. So what happens when we add all our pollution to the mix? What happens when natural geological changes occur? Life ends for many creatures. How much does man have to do with our own potential extinction? Obviously a matter of contention... but why pull the tiger's tail? We are treating our environment as though we can ask for a Do Over or go back in time and act more intelligently. As it is.... we may very well be screwed. Today I heard a report about renewable energy with someone defending the jobs in Appalachia coal mines. SOMETIMES..... old ways must end, PERIOD Fukushima? Do you know how many nuke plants are next to the oceans? In earthquake zones? El Nino? Maybe. But we better start using our heads and change our habits.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: awareness10

Yes, by all means we should eliminate the bottling of fresh water for drinking use. How dare people desire fresh, clean water for their personal consumption. You do realize that water will be consumed by people whether from the tap or from a bottle.... the consumption of water would likely not change if one eliminated the bottling of water.

Of course, we could just prevent farmer's access to water. After all, who needs vegetables?

We should also shut down all drilling and pumping of oil. We will teach those horrible oil companies a lesson!!

We should, by all means, return to the horse and buggy era. When men were men and so were women

edit on 4-8-2015 by bbracken677 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 08:45 AM
link   
This is very depressing. My son and daughter in law live in western Oregon. My daughter and future husband in Seattle. I lived in Washington state for 22 mostly miserable years-mostly miserable because mostly miserable is the way people are there. Too expensive. Too crowded. Too many gangs. Too much crime. Crazy witchcraft activity going on. Way too liberal. Earthquakes. Volcanic activity. Pollution of all kinds.
The Pac Nor is dying. Been dying for a long time. Best thing anyone can do for themself and their family is leave. I keep hoping and praying my children get out before it's too late.
Very, very sad!

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: bbracken677

hm yes .. i'm afraid that If we wanted, insisted on any kind of 'Normalacy' here on planet Nuthouse we'd have to change planets, and even that isn't a guarantee i would seem.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: sirlancelot

Because there are already gods cleaning it up. If radiation had such a big effect, then why only salmons? The timing and location are also inconsistent. You know, it's not as though we have not seen mass deaths of fishes before.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: autopat51

Do you have a link that other species were also affected? As far as the sores, my theory is that they couldn't clean it all up, and the salmons aren't able to fight it.

edit on 4-8-2015 by ffx6554 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Retire before the oceans go to hell "again", what does he mean again? Well retire, as it seems this is just a normal cycle...

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: bbracken677

originally posted by: rickymouse
Sockeye Salmon is a very good tasting fish. I feel sad. Hopefully this isn't happening all over. I don't think that we will be told the true reason for this. Either it will be in conflict with economy or it is from pollution that we can't easily fix. I doubt if this is from raising temperature, it does not match symptoms I would think would think come from warmer water. The fish are soft and more tired when the water gets warmer.

Of course, it will be blamed on man made climate change. As if droughts at the west coast have never, ever happened before man. As if fisheries have never been stressed before. Everyone knows that fish have never gone extinct prior to man... ooops

Like Katrina was blamed on climate change (and Bush), and how massive hurricanes such as katrina would become common place...remember that? How effed up was all that propaganda? The exact opposite has happened. Yet immediately after Katrina the virtual extinction of man in coastal areas was predicted......

So much BS floating around these days I can only shake my head and wonder why people swallow crap by the mouthfuls and agree its a good thing.

I highly doubt that climate change would do this particular thing. I could see new chemistry introduced into the water doing this, like the new fire chemicals they are using to fight forest fires or new chemicals for agriculture or home use that are used in high amounts. If everyone in Cali is using antidepressents, which get peed out unchanged and are not detoxed in the sewer plants, that could even have some effect. Add all this stuff together and the chemical cocktail could be deadly. It could also be gasses escaping from volcanic activity or it could be the radiation from Japan.

I highly doubt climate change, the fish would just move to cooler water.....unless they are all doped up on antidepressants.

I'm pretty sure that somehow mankind is contributing to this though.
edit on 4-8-2015 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join