It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USA Today: Millions of fish dead in Pacific Northwest — Ocean conditions have ‘gone to hell’

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+27 more 
posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 10:47 PM
link   

USA Today, Jul 31, 2015 (emphasis added): … weather in the Pacific Northwest is killing millions of fish…

AP, Jul 27, 2015: More than a quarter million sockeye salmon returning from the ocean to spawn are either dead or dying in the Columbia… wiping out at least half of this year’s returning population… [NOAA's Ritchie Graves] says up to 80 percent of the population could ultimately perish.

Spokesman Review, Jul 24, 2015: “Never in my entire (29-year) career have I seen anything like this,” [Jeff Korth, fisheries manager] said. “A minimum of 300,000 adult salmon have died… We’re seeing big gaping sores… 15,000 sockeye tried to go up the Okanogan last week… They all died… My goal was to retire before ocean conditions go to hell again.”

Eureka Times Standard, Jul 29, 2015: With recent fish counting surveys on two Klamath River tributaries showing alarmingly low numbers… fisheries experts are growing increasingly concerned… The South Fork Trinity River is also showing a low presence of wild Chinook salmon adults… Fisheries experts are not certain why the tributaries have such a low salmon population…

Link to article

It seems to me that people are tuning out the death of the Pacific Ocean because they want to ignore the effects of Fukushima. Why can't people look at these two issues as separate things if necessary? Yes, there's three ongoing China Syndromes at Fukushima spilling untold amounts of irradiated water into the Pacific Ocean constantly. Lots of people want to downplay the significance of that.

However, evidence is mounting daily that the Pacific Ocean is dying. Maybe the Fukushima disaster has caused most of that, maybe not. Either way, there should be far more cognizance and concern about what's happening. The lack of concern over the death of the Pacific Ocean is irking me a lot. Where are the environmentalists on this issue?

Look at the following video, the fish are GONE right off the coast of Canada. Why isn't everyone worried?

Fukushima Underwater Canada Queen Charlotte Langara Island 2015

www.youtube.com...

edit on 1-8-2015 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I've also read that the river conditions are warmer than normal this year because of the El Nino, and this is playing havoc with the salmon because it's too warm for them.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Yeah its not good...and dont forget all the tonnes of plastic that is dumped into the ocean each year,that is being ground to sludge,and of course all the chemicals from industry and farming which leech into the rivers and end up in the ocean ....

We will see many more die off's both in the ocean and land within our lifetimes as the rates seem to be increasing every year

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Where having issues with heat and low river runs, alot of salmons and trouts spawing areas are so low that alot are dying.

This dry spell has been crazy this year.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 11:05 PM
link   
a reply to: dukeofjive696969

Nino years tend to do that with various fisheries. It just depends on the year. A lot of times, it'll hit the sardines really hard, but this time, it looks like it's going to be the salmon that are taking it on the chin.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Sockeye Salmon is a very good tasting fish. I feel sad. Hopefully this isn't happening all over. I don't think that we will be told the true reason for this. Either it will be in conflict with economy or it is from pollution that we can't easily fix. I doubt if this is from raising temperature, it does not match symptoms I would think would think come from warmer water. The fish are soft and more tired when the water gets warmer.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Living extremely close to the Pacific Ocean my entire life, it doesn't look like it's dying at all. I understand there is a warm water mass moving down the coast and, along with the El Nino conditions forming, the water is warming. I have heard nothing about irradiated ocean water at all. No signs of deformations here.

+23 more 
posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 11:22 PM
link   
the sores and bloated belly's the fish are displaying is very telling that something besides warm water is at play here.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 11:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion
The silvers are in the valley and their strong so I don't know what the hell you're talking about because the Pacific Northwest would include us and you're wrong, do you care to revise your topic?

or like most people do you think the Lasko is not a part of the United States yet their own country? I think what you stated in your thread is a little preposterous and media candy filled and fed the little children

edit on 1-8-2015 by AK907ICECOLD because: (no reason given)

edit on Mon Aug 3 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: Quote Crash Course

+18 more 
posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 11:45 PM
link   
a reply to: AK907ICECOLD

i live here, by the columbia river and i have been watching this story for a while now.
i can assure you the salmon story is true.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 11:53 PM
link   
What soars that aren't natural from predators or disease and bloated belly's on what fish? Thanks OP for the news update but I'm not seeing how this is at all related to Fukushima. The Pacific Northwest had a horrible winter and this spring and summer have been very warm/ hot with little rain. Salmon are some of the most interesting creatures in the world with their amazing ability to return back to their origin at the end of their life cycle. They could be out in the ocean for up to 7 years so possibly if they can sense they cannot make it back to their original nesting, maybe they die. Last year there was a ton of wild salmon, so the fukushima argument makes no sense.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 12:03 AM
link   
the f argument makes sense....common sense, no media coverage....at all.....not even a bit.....
salmon stay north in the ocean.....what about the other species.....i'm curious

+8 more 
posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 12:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Ultralight

Living extremely close to the Pacific Ocean my entire life, it doesn't look like it's dying at all. I understand there is a warm water mass moving down the coast and, along with the El Nino conditions forming, the water is warming. I have heard nothing about irradiated ocean water at all. No signs of deformations here.

Maybe you should invest in some scuba gear!?

I'm sure the waves that are rolling in won't look any different to you. But there is more than meets the eye on the surface.

The ocean is a whole 'nother world.

Ghost

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 12:17 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

You bet, the water temps have much more to do with this than Fukushima..it`s really bad news.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 12:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: GBP/JPY
the f argument makes sense....common sense, no media coverage....at all.....not even a bit.....
salmon stay north in the ocean.....what about the other species.....i'm curious

How does the Fukushima argument make sense? You didn't even say why specifically it makes sense? Can you explain it scientifically in a few paragraphs? Using your own words? Since Fukushima killing Pacific Northwest wild salmon is common sense after all and not any other reasons.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 12:37 AM
link   
This has little to nothing to do with Fukushima. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe those are Crown of Thorns starfish that you see in the vid. They're extremely destructive to coral reefs and wipe out every thing in thier path.. They're also becoming a major threat to the Great Barrier reef.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 12:46 AM
link   
a reply to: mtnshredder

Well those starfish thrive in warmer waters so they could be a part of the problem...

One of the biggest natural threats to the Great Barrier Reef will find it easier to survive if sea temperatures rise, researchers say.

www.abc.net.au...

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 12:58 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

ya..i kinda dont think thats what they are.
being how we dont have any coral up here and the ocean isnt all that warm.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 01:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: autopat51

ya..i kinda dont think thats what they are.
being how we dont have any coral up here and the ocean isnt all that warm.

Hmmm are you sure about that ?

Acanthaster planci, more commonly known as the crown-of-thorns, is a large sea star found throughout the Indian and Pacific Oceans.

www.eoearth.org...

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 01:11 AM
link   

ya im sure.
they dont get this far up, from what ive read.
the pacific is huge, and we are pretty far north.

unless you lived in this area you may not understand what the video was portraying.
its what you DONT see that is what the video is about.

edit on 2-8-2015 by autopat51 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join