It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Satan Statue to be unveiled in Detroit

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 09:09 AM
link   
This doesn't bother me. It's so stupid they might as well erect a statue of Bart Simpson.

But this is interesting:

The group went on to say the unveiling event “will serve as a call-to-arms from which we’ll kick off our largest fight to date in the name of individual rights to free exercise against self-serving theocrats.”

And who is more self-serving than Satan? Not too bright, are they. Maybe they can add Hitler and Bin Laden and have an unholy trinity.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: zbeliever

you mean - your " liberalism " doesnt extent to people exercising thier freedom of religion ??????????

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Hey, as I stated I am questioning my liberalism.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   

We are in Detroit area....wife and I hit all fairs and festivals 50 mile radius...were shocked when their booths popped up at 2-Dally in the Alley at Wayne State and Ferndale DIY Fest....but now? We just keep walking by...I guess all Americans have the right.

They are usually next to the abortion and right to lifers and Basement Waterproofing companies...

We now just keep walking right by all of them...

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   

I'm personally creeped out by this, but it is a free country.

If people want to have a statue then fine, I suppose.

I'll never go visit.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: [post=19617382]mysterioustranger[/p
Have you heard anything in your area against this statue? or is everyone just excepting the sign of the times?

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   
They are having a event where the statue will be shown. It's not being permanently placed somewhere though, right?

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   
So much speculation, untruth and jumping to conclusions, when all the information speculated on is freely available, on a site with a motto of deny ignorance...

The Satanic Temple is not to be confused with the church of Satan, although both use the biblical figure as a symbol of their respective branches of humanism.

The Baphomet is NOT Satan, the statue is NOT the christian devil.

It IS a rather blatant and (in my oppinion) cheap marketing gimmick, to draw attention, which it is succeeding in.

The Satanic Temple's tenets are not secret and easily accessed online, but for those who dont wish to seek, or those who revel in alarmism, it boils down to this.

The usage of self evident morals, as opposed to those put forth by spiritual religions, (with the majority being the same,) with the one difference being that as a human being you are to blame or praise for your actions, and cannot claim you did evil in a deitys name, but rather you did it because you are immoral, and you do good not because you are told it is good, but because you feel or know it to be good. (sorry for the awful and long sentance!)

Another tenet, if you wish to call it so, is that blind belief should not overshadow scientific fact or truth, nor should religion dictate morals that (under the satanic temple) areonly of importance to the individual (i.e. abortion/circumsicion/euthanasia).

That the body is yours, not god given, and as long as you do not cause alarm, injury or loss to another (yes abortion does involve another life, but im not saying it is a flawless philosophy, by any means) then others have no standing to dictate what you can or cannot do based on their own values.

I understand Christians will jump on the fact that many humanist groups use the term Satan, and imagery from pre-aramaic religions/cultures as proof they represent the evil and foul, and im sure said groups rely on that for publicity, but it is merely a symbol or metaphor for self responsibility.

Humans have done great and awful things, often in the name of God (any, not just the judeo-christian), but many humanist or 'satanic' groups have founded for themselves a religion with no higher power, and therefore any ills or great works they do, they attribute to their self evident moral compass.

I know i sound like im being nasty and condescending but i really dont mean to, and i hope the followers of Christ such as the op dont worry themselves unduly.

But to recap, Baphomet is NOT satan, and (at least this 'satanic' temple*) do not believe in any deity. Admittedly a cheap shot, but far from the only group to take one.

*although i know of none, i am not arrogant enough to think that everyone who claims to be a member of any 'Satanic' church does in fact not believe in a deity, there may well be people who worship the biblical satan and believe in the judeo-christian God.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
This doesn't bother me. It's so stupid they might as well erect a statue of Bart Simpson.

But this is interesting:

The group went on to say the unveiling event “will serve as a call-to-arms from which we’ll kick off our largest fight to date in the name of individual rights to free exercise against self-serving theocrats.”

And who is more self-serving than Satan? Not too bright, are they. Maybe they can add Hitler and Bin Laden and have an unholy trinity.

Agree.

I am a follower of Christ, however, I defend the right for anyone to worship whomever or whatever they want. "Do What Thou Wilt." Aleister Crowley

Hey, it is their souls. Let the wild rumpus begin...sincerely, I hope it works out for ya. Scares the hell out of me, but it is what it is. Satan/Baphomet is cool with me as long as it doesn't mess with my beliefs or those of my loved ones. If it does, then we have a problem.

Just two thoughts, from very different sources, that have always made me stop and think (JMO):

"If you dance with the devil, the devil don't change. The devil changes you." Max California - 8 MM

"... the devil walketh about as a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour." 1 Peter 5:8 King James Version

I will say that adding little kids to the "statement art" seems pretty slim shady.

Peace.

edit on Jul4638380746383846America/Chicago by Missmissie173 because: name change

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Missmissie173

I think you have hit the nail squarely on the head! I myself am not a religious man but your open-ness and willing to separate what affects you from what you find disdainful is admirable

Also not to be a grammar nazi but Crowley's first name was Aleister, and even as a non religious person I find his ideals and works to be genuinely evil.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: zbeliever
a reply to: threeeyesopen

I understand the moral majority is against the statue, my concern is how long will it take for a satanic temple to pop up in every city. Just think of all the taboos through out history that are now main stream.

So, you think that it is ok to deny a organization the right to build and have a place of worship...just because you might not agree with it and it might go against your and others' beliefs?

That's not very American, or tolerant, of you, but so very "Christian."

"Burn 'em at the stake!"

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: threeeyesopen

To be fair there was a lot of outrage over the statue to begin with, it's not like everyone just flat out accepted it.

Kind of exactly like Kaitlyn Jenner.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: ugmold
Tickets $25 each. Guess they want to keep out the Riff-Raff.

This is where they lose me.
If this was all about principle and expressing religion then why such a steep cover charge?

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP

To be fair there was a lot of outrage over the statue to begin with, it's not like everyone just flat out accepted it.

And that has to do with the topic how?

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

originally posted by: TinfoilTP

And that has to do with the topic how?

It has everything to do with the topic.

It's recent
It's decadent
It's unprecedented
and it's being publicized to increase acceptance.

edit on 26-7-2015 by TinfoilTP because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

How is it unprecedented?
You do know Jenner wasn't the first and won't be the last right?

And it being decadent is relative, what you may see as such I and others may not.

Still has nothing to do with the statue.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Learningman

Learningman, thanks for the kind words - changed Crowley's name.

I don't want to "see" Satan/Baphomet or whatever he/she/it is called, but if Detroit gets a % of the $25 a pop entrance fee, than I can see Detroit saying "Satan it up". Not my belief system, but meh, whatever.

After all Detroit is already called "Hell on Earth" by people that live there, and if you can't pay water bills or City Retirement/Pension funds, I guess you can't be too picky about your icons.

I find it scary, sinister and sad...but I am a Christian.

Are there a whole bunch of Satanist in Detroit? Seriously, I am just curious. Is Satanism more common in some cities/areas than in others? Is this a traveling road show or just Detroit - as in "coming soon to a city near you" type of deal or just Detroit?

Hmmm.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Their Freedom of Religion ends where another's begin. If they try to make satanic rituals or satanic prayers at school a law then that is just as unconstitutional as if any other religion did it.

Instead of the government becoming like Rome, full of statues, why not just keep it secular? Then again, there would be another problem. I think there are some Pagan gods made on the design of some government buildings.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I think the title of the article, or the billing by the Satanic Temple, is misleading.

A group is planning to unveil an 8-foot-tall bronze statue featuring a goat-headed Satan in Detroit during a gathering that’s being billed as the “largest public satanic ceremony in history.”

BUT

The Satanic Temple has said Saturday’s private event will be open only to people with tickets,

So, it's a PRIVATE, ticket only event:

The event location is not being announced publicly and is known only to those with tickets.

And:

The Satanic Temple says it advocates for the separation of church and state. It now wants to erect it outside Arkansas’ Statehouse where a Ten Commandments monument also is planned.

Their actions are a DIRECT response to the proposed 10 Commandments at the Arkansas Statehouse. Didn't we see this or something similar regarding the 10 Commandments on State/Public grounds?

a reply to: Missmissie173

Detroit was ultimately selected for the unveiling because The Satanic Temple in the city has a “strong congregation,” with more than 200 registered members.

edit on 26-7-2015 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Thank you for providing some #s.

Interesting.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join