It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I gave up Ayn Rand for Bernie Sanders

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: LDragonFire
Can you provide a example? Libertarians get elected and do the things your stating?

Nope, I can't. America is too entrenched in the systemic cycle of redistributive handouts to have elected a Libertarian president. The cycle of cowardice and weakness within America must be broken before such a bold step is taken.

I think were on the same page in wishing or wanting change? We may not agree what that change looks like, the change I wish to see is and can be seen in real life countries like Germany, Norway, Portugal and Northern Europe and the successes they have achieved. The countries are not perfect but in some areas they are better than what we are doing. The change you seem to want is based on a chain smoking sci fi writer, that claims "smoking causes cancer a hoax", all public benefits are bad, but once she got lung cancer (because she smoked) applied and received social security and medicare.

The change I wish to see is happening in the real world. We can adopt prison reform based on successes in other countries, we can adopt a better healthcare industry based on real world successes and so on. This is Bernie's message, its real and resonating with people across the country. This can happen and benefit us all.
edit on 24-7-2015 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

Here's my problem.
www.taxpolicycenter.org...
Sanders wants to return to the days of 60 years ago when the upper tax bracket paid 90% on their money. We're not in the 1950s anymore... there were legal and logistical barriers that prevented the wealthy from taking their company to a country which didn't have that tax burden. Today, with free trade and essentially a global economy, a massive tax spike on the wealthy WILL simply see the nation's wealth head straight for the exits. Many jobs will follow.

As to what I've linked above, I'd like to use it as an example of the "anti-Bernie" In 1955, a family of 4 making half the median income in America had a 0% tax liability. Those at the median had a nearly 6% rate. Those making twice the median saw an 11% rate. In 2014, those at half the median income had a negative 8.5% rate on $38,000... that means those families were paid an average of $3,230 per year by the IRS. Those at the median paid 5.34%, and those at twice the median paid 12.4%. If Sanders can stand before the American people and say "We're going back to 1955... with that we will reinstate all tariffs and trade regulations, and return to the tax rates we saw in 1955." I'd vote for him. The problem is, then he'd truly be unelectable because all those four person families making less than $50K per year aren't going to willingly surrender their annual IRS subsidy... they receive that in exchange for their vote for the individuals most greedy in taking money from the above $50,000s to redistribute to those below.

The top 10% in America presently are responsible for 68% of federal taxes... Chasing them off is a brilliant idea. That would create a wonderful world where the rest of us above $50K per year suddenly had to pay 100% of the burden. NOT GOOD. Meanwhile, the subsidies continue and exactly what Ayn Rand predicted in Atlas Shrugged gets closer to happening.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire
I think were on the same page in wishing or wanting change?

We absolutely are on the same page in that book. I think you're at the paragraph headed with "WHAT ABOUT THE MONEY IN THAT RICH BASTARD'S POCKET?" and I'm on the paragraph headed with "WHAT ABOUT THE MONEY IN MY OWN POCKET?"

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
... a massive tax spike on the wealthy WILL simply see the nation's wealth head straight for the exits. Many jobs will follow.

Hello? This has already happened.

Chasing them off is a brilliant idea. That would create a wonderful world where the rest of us above $50K per year suddenly had to pay 100% of the burden.

A burden which would be FAR FAR less than providing them with corporate welfare as they ship our jobs off.

A burden which would be FAR FAR less than fighting their perpetual war.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   
You shouldn't give up Ayn Rand for Bernie Sanders.

You should give up Ayn Rand for ADAM SMITH.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

I agree with this, but a high stock market doesn't translate into any kind of financial victory for people struggling to pay off student loans and not getting good middle-class jobs.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

They should have invested instead of going to college.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I like your style, but invest what?

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake
a reply to: xuenchen

I like your style, but invest what?

It was mild sarcasm.

I know people can't invest money without having any.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join