It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drag Queens banned from Pride Parade in Scotland

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Or it could be that society is learning to "allow" people to be who they are without requiring (or trying to enforce) any one position about what is right and wrong.

... and as someone who constantly complains about Christians being "attacked" and "victimized" ... you don't need to toss the "special snowflake" slur very far.

Also, you want to dictate what people can do at the Pride events they sponsor? How utterly totalitarian of you.

I'm all in favor of stopping the Lording of our differences over one another ... when are you starting?

edit on 14Thu, 23 Jul 2015 14:52:30 -050015p022015766 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
I misss the days when there were just the two sexes.

Sex #1, You're not getting any.
Sex #2, You're still not getting any.

Bravo.

Just ... bravo.

link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Either we need to just have a Pride Parade where each person just shows up and marches on their own. After all, the smallest minority is the individual and we are unique and special snowflakes. Or we admit we're part of humanity and stop trying to lord it over everyone else that one peculiarity or another makes us more special than the rest.

Lol, true, I don't see the relevance of 'pride' marches in the UK now all discrimination has been covered from adoption of children to marriage.
Should I feel 'proud' that I'm heterosexual?
I don't feel any particular pride, it is just one tickbox of everything that makes me, maybe it's boring to be hetero?

link   
a reply to: pfishy

Hey, if some guys have fun dressing up in wigs, makeup, and women's clothing, WHO CARES? It's play-acting. It's fun for them. I like dressing up in costumes, too.....

It's like (try this as an analogy) - a Feminist Pride parade, where women aren't allowed to wear dresses.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

... and as someone who constantly complains about Christians being "attacked" and "victimized" ... you don't need to toss the "special snowflake" slur very far.

Yup. That. I typed it out twice and decided to leave it alone.
Thanks, Gryph.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Binary = male OR female, black or white, two totally different qualities.

Non-binary = all ranges and mixes of "maleness" and/or "femaleness" ... an individual sense that you are something other than either.

As I said, this area is beyond my expertise ... I'm just a cisgendered man who loves cisgendered men.

(Cisgendered means that gender and biological sex agree.)

link   
I wish i knew about this topic sooner!!

First, Us Queens are one of the main causes of the Gay rights Movements in the 60's with Stonewall...

Second...There are many different kinds of Drag Queens

www.huffingtonpost.com...

A good starting point..

Us Queens have been under fire recently as being "Misogynistic" and Appropriating "Female Gender" by Straight Female ""Feminist""

now this is a discussion for another topic, but it's important to note because of the reasons why Queens got "Banned" from this pride event.

Drag is serious to me, i don't do Camp/Comedy drag, it's not only a way for me to perform and entertain onstage but because i am Genderfluid i get to express my authentic self, so i don't necessarily identify as a "Drag Queen" although that is the easiest way to describe what i do

The people that want Queen banned from that pride are the ones that don't want to be part of the GLBTQ+ community because they don't want the Transgender Label, but are the same ones who complain that we are not doing enough for Trans rights

link   

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Aren't drag queens/female impersonators typically gay men? Most "men" have no desire or intention to "go under the knife". Even the majority that consider themselves transgender don't.

I have no particular association or insight into LGBT matters than anyone else so have no idea about this. Maybe it's considered akin to performing in blackface or something? A characterization rather than authenticity perhaps? It does seem a little silly.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: EKron

Maybe it's considered akin to performing in blackface or something?

I thought of that, too......
I don't know.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   

link   
I've known more than one drag queen or drag performer.

Many of them live "day to day" as men. (Some really attractive men!)

Some view drag as something that they "do", rather than something that they "are."

I've known straight male transvestites (literally, changing clothes or uniform) that simply derived ... pleasure of whatever kind ... from wearing some or all of a typical woman's clothing (Gender, socially defined attire).

Remember, there's a difference between sexual orientation (what sex you're attracted to) and gender identity (what gender you feel yourself to be most authentically).

The Native Americans had the concept of the "Two Spirit" which help me understand some of these distinctions.

link   

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

from your source. . .

"Drag queens have been banned from performing at a Pride event in case they offend transgender people."

That line has to be the funniest damned thing I've read in a while.

Do drag queens offend transgender people because they are too gay, or not gay enough?

*I think I caught gay reading this thread!*

Your right, transgender carries the whole gamut of sexuality, I would consider a drag queen as transgender in that respect, Bisexuals are transgender, there are people who dress as a man in the day and a woman at night and vice versa. Whoever this committee is, they have lost the plot.

meaning of transgender,
denoting or relating to a person whose self-identity does not conform unambiguously to conventional notions of male or female gender.

Transgender is independent of sexual orientation; transgender people may identify as heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, asexual and so on.
edit on 23-7-2015 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

Bisexuals are Not Transgender, they are attracted to both sexes Bisexuality is a Sexual Orientation.. not Gender Identity

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Darth is right. The American Gay Rights Movement is usually considered to have started at Stonewall Inn in New York, after Judy Garland's death, cops came into a gay club to arrest people for sodomy and public indecency or lewdity (the usual charges) and these "ladies" had just had enough and resisted.

And, now that you have an expert here in Darth, I will hush, and go back to my garden-variety cisgendered confusion.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy
Bisexuals are transgender

What? Bisexual is an orientation, not a gender issue.

Edit: Beat me to it Darth!
edit on Thu Jul 23rd 2015 by EKron because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join