It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drag Queens banned from Pride Parade in Scotland

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Doesn't surprise me much, it's Glasgow.
They still have Catholic/Protestant sectarianism silliness and violence there, and street parades about events in 1690 just to wind each other up.
I'm genuinely not surprised it is Glasgow lol

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

These straight morons

Who? I believe the organizers are LGBT themselves....

Sorry, I don't understand.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   
What? What, what what what?! WHAT?

Umm...

What what what?!

Did I read this right? Drag queens might be offending to transgender?

What, what?!

The world has gone totally mental. Mental, totally mental ....

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
True ignorance. Pride is about inclusion. These straight morons think(well not really) they are doing the community a favor? They just don't understand.

My ignorance is showing. The "organizers" are gay? If so then these folks are complete morons.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   

link   
a reply to: MonkeyFishFrog

Especially now that we are starting to understand and accept gender fluidity more, I always saw it as a way for gay men to express their inner femininity.

Exactly!

Me, too, and I've been acquainted with one or two.....

link   

link   

So, are the transgendered crowd associated with Free Pride actually offended, or are the organizers just so caught up in the fear of possibly offending anyone or anything that they just made an incredibly near-sighted and ridiculous decision?

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: pfishy

I don't know. But like I said, I can't imagine Drag Queens being offended by Transgendered people -

apparently some "transgender and non binary" caucus made this suggestion? I think it's silly.

link   
If you read closely, it's also two "rival factions" in the community in Glasgow.

Trust me, if you thought run of the mill gay activists were extremists ... wait until you become more familiar with SOME (not all by any means) trans* activists.

It's not as "simple" as men who feel like they are in the wrong body, or women who feel the same way, and either want to live out their real gender identity as much as possible, up to and including sex reassignment surgeries.

You've also got "genderqueer" and "non-binary" folks, whose position is basically that all GENDER (as opposed to Sex) is a social construct and that there is not merely "male and female" but a range of both and neither. And this is not as simple as "androgyny" either which has traditionally been seen as a blending of "both" genders.

I will admit, on this issue, I rapidly become just another ignorant Gawga boy, I know the words, but I can't hear the music.

If you'd like an example, look up any of the folderol under use of the term "tranny" ... for any range of transvestite (strictly, a man who enjoys dressing as a woman), transgender, transsexual (if you notice I've started using trans*) ... here's a good basic article: The “Tranny” Debate and Conservatism in the LGBTQ Movement
edit on 14Thu, 23 Jul 2015 14:46:50 -050015p022015766 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

edit on 14Thu, 23 Jul 2015 14:47:45 -050015p022015766 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: beezzer

Probably because they don't want to transition just dress up.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Can you explain "non-binary" some more?
I'd never heard that one.

link   
This is the logical and unfortunate outgrowth of making everyone part of a special snowflake group. Eventually every little difference MUST be divided out and recognized as making someone more special than the rest.

Or this:

Either we need to just have a Pride Parade where each person just shows up and marches on their own. After all, the smallest minority is the individual and we are unique and special snowflakes. Or we admit we're part of humanity and stop trying to lord it over everyone else that one peculiarity or another makes us more special than the rest.

link   

Well, I think the nature of being a drag queen is being male while also being the best-dressed gal in the room. So I don't think it's a matter of being afraid to have gender reassignment surgery. The ones I've known had no intention of getting surgery. Not that there aren't any who wish to, I'd imagine, but transvestites, transsexuals and drag queens aren't necessarily all the same group.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Doesn't surprise me much, it's Glasgow.
They still have Catholic/Protestant sectarianism silliness and violence there, and street parades about events in 1690 just to wind each other up.
I'm genuinely not surprised it is Glasgow lol

I could go on.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I misss the days when there were just the two sexes.

Sex #1, You're not getting any.
Sex #2, You're still not getting any.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join