It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drag Queens banned from Pride Parade in Scotland

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I ask this in all seriousness, but how do you adress these cis/trans/gendered/bi/sex individuals?

I'm old school.

I call people "Ma'am" or "Sir".

What's appropriate and what's offensive?

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Darth_Prime

Whew! I wondered when you'd be back online to see it....
glad you're here.

Thanks for the clarification.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Sometimes when you fight a fight for so long. When you start winning, you still have the need to fight in you. So you start turning on each other. Especially when a movement has so many different, self-identifying groups, within it.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
I ask this in all seriousness, but how do you adress these cis/trans/gendered/bi/sex individuals?

I'm old school.

I call people "Ma'am" or "Sir".

What's appropriate and what's offensive?

You would be amused at how much trouble I've gotten into with that.

I refuse to use "they and them" as singular pronouns.

Guess I have my "politically correct" limits as well.

Basically, Beezzer, if you're confused at all, just ask "what pronouns do you prefer"? Or just call them as you see them until you are corrected.

And trust me, you will be corrected. Just don't react as badly AS I did.

The Need for a Gender Neutral Pronoun

THat gives some background on the areas of "contention" ...
edit on 15Thu, 23 Jul 2015 15:12:34 -050015p032015766 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

edit on 15Thu, 23 Jul 2015 15:15:57 -050015p032015766 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Exactly, some are Just Drag Performers, some identify as Two-Spirit, some like me Genderfluid etc

one thing that has to be known is that Drag does not mean you are Transgender

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: karmicecstasy
Sometimes when you fight a fight for so long. When you start winning, you still have the need to fight in you. So you start turning on each other. Especially when a movement has so many different, self-identifying groups, within it.

We still see this in the Black community, where there are all levels of "discrimination" based on the lightness or darkness of skin.'

Also, among Feminists ... as to whether a woman "refuses" traditional roles or not.

As I said, we're all humans; and humans will find any reason to discriminate ... it's our primate xenophobia.

EDIT: I have a personal friend who is an Albino Black ... she is one of the brightest and most caring people I know ... but you would not BELIEVE what some other Blacks say to her face in public.

edit on 15Thu, 23 Jul 2015 15:17:48 -050015p032015766 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: karmicecstasy

Especially when a movement has so many different, self-identifying groups, within it.

Yes. I didn't want to bring religion into it, but that's what the "Christians" are doing, too.

I DO NOT equate the LGBT movement as religious, however. So - I'm trying to get the religious angle out of my head (it keeps popping up, though!)

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Darth_Prime

Exactly, some are Just Drag Performers, some identify as Two-Spirit, some like me Genderfluid etc

one thing that has to be known is that Drag does not mean you are Transgender

I'm sooooo glad you're here. I'm going to (try to) shut up and let you explain.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

That's because it's almost impossible to separate ourselves into discrete groups without becoming "special" at some point.

There's a lesson there for all of us.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Yaaas, us Queens threw the Brick!

Stonewall was a huge moment...

I have always thought a Topic on Drag would be a interesting discussion topic

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Happy too!

i'm glad i found this.. it's a Conspiracy i didn't hear about this sooner!!

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

Especially when a movement has so many different, self-identifying groups, within it.

Yes. I didn't want to bring religion into it, but that's what the "Christians" are doing, too.

I DO NOT equate the LGBT movement as religious, however. So - I'm trying to get the religious angle out of my head (it keeps popping up, though!)

Extrapolating that into the far future. If the battle for equality is won. Could we one day see a Protestant/Catholic like conflict, between people identifying as Transgendered and people identifying as Drag Queens.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

Why would anyone assume you are? It's a valid comparison. The religious do it. Christianity isn't the only one. Look at Islam in the ME blowing each other up over who's Sunni or Shiite.

You can compare without someone thinking you are labeling them as religious.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Frankly, I'm tired of the endless hatred and all the "religious spite".

This thread is about the LGBT community. Thanks though, for your acknowledgement.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   

a reply to: smurfy

Bisexuals are Not Transgender, they are attracted to both sexes Bisexuality is a Sexual Orientation.. not Gender Identity

That's not right, Transgenders can have sexual relations with whoever they like...it's tricky isn't it. Transgenders can also have two birth certificates, and probably do, and they are not cross-referenced on the paper, neither does one replace the other. It's probably a big headache for the legalese eagles

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Just so you all know, I have invited JadeStar to the thread as well (she's busy)...
but I was hoping she and Darth_Prime would participate.

There is MUCH we members need to learn about the community that is LBGTQ+.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy

a reply to: smurfy

Bisexuals are Not Transgender, they are attracted to both sexes Bisexuality is a Sexual Orientation.. not Gender Identity

That's not right, Transgenders can have sexual relations with whoever they like...it's tricky isn't it. Transgenders can also have two birth certificates, and probably do, and they are not cross-referenced on the paper, neither does one replace the other. It's probably a big headache for the legalese eagles

Yeah, what Darth said is correct in generally accepted terminology.

Sexual orientation has to do with the object of attraction/desire/love

homo-sexual (same sex)

hetero-sexual (other sex)

bi-sexual (both sexes)

Gender identity has to do which gender a person most identifies with.

So one could be bisexual AND trans* ... but the two terms are not synonymous.

You could also be trans* and gay (if you are a woman in identity attracted to women)

Or you could be trans* and straight (a transman attacted to women)

As far as genderqueer, genderfluid, non-binary, etc., you'll have to have someone else explain.

But you can use words however you want to of course ...

edit on 15Thu, 23 Jul 2015 15:46:24 -050015p032015766 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Good question for Drag Queens. Thankfully, Darth_Prime is here.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Personally, I'll respond to both Male and Female Pronouns, He She, Him Her Etc.. again it's not a "Drag thing" it's Genderfluid

As far as Transgender, the Pronoun that they are: Trans Woman would be Female Pronouns, Trans Man would be Male Pronouns

Since Cisgender is the gender you identify that you were assigned at birth they would be Man-Male Pronouns Woman-Female Pronouns

Bisexual is a Sexual Orientation, so it would depend on if they were a Cisgender Bisexual or a Transgender Bisexual

there are those that identify as Agender or Gender-Neutral that prefer Gender Neutral pronouns "They, Them" Etc.. but even i get those wrong sometimes

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join