It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drag Queens banned from Pride Parade in Scotland

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: JadeStar

True, and to be fair Transgender people have said mean things about Drag Queens as well.. Just as much as Gay people can be 'Transphobic' Transgender people can be "Homophobic"

All the Queens i know are nothing but supportive of all Trans rights and issues and have never been 'Mean', but you are correct in saying that there are some out there, same with Transgender people.. it goes both ways

i mean, just because we are in the GLBTQ+ community doesn't absolve people from being Bigoted,Racist,Transphobic Etc

However I do see a point in keeping drag performances out of an event which might draw a lot of young impressionable transgender people who are still dealing with issues of gender identity.

This i can't agree with, there should be no reason to not allow people to express themselves at an event that is supposed to be inclusive

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   

I don't think anyone enjoys "offensive" performances. What would an offensive Drag Queen performance look like?

I'm sorry to hear that some are mean.
And I totally respect your position and self, I hope you know that.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Darth_Prime
Thank you, Darth. I have learned a lot from you.

You'd also think by now I would have learned to keep my mouth shut on things I know nothing about. Sorry.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Personally i don't think any of it would be Offensive outright.

Drag is not "Mocking" transgender people or Gender Identities. it's an expression of "Character"

for me personally it's a way for me to live and express my 'Feminine Self'

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: EKron

Likewise!

No need to be sorry, we all learn from each other... plus you should never feel you should keep your mouth shut

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Darth_Prime

Thanks for the response, but I guess I just don't quite grasp why other parts of the community would be offended by a drag performance. But I am not familiar or part of that community, so the confusion is expected.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Okay, so - from the original source in the OP:

Here is something I learned -

LGBTTQQIAAB (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, transsexual, queer, questioning, intersex, asexual, ally, panssexual) “community”

I know Darth always uses an abbreviated version, but I had NO IDEA how many different hats one could wear!

Can anyone explain some of these more 'tacked on' adjectives? I am a post-menopausal hetero woman who has lately become 'Asexual' for the most part (bummer!), and also Questioning (inasmuch as I am asking questions, at least), and an Ally, I guess......

So - I'm under the umbrella as an QAA?
What is 'intersex'? (Hermaphrodite? I know a little about that.) What is a 'pansexual'? (Is that like, gets aroused at everything from grass to rocks to kittens to humans????)

edit on 7/23/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

I Can't understand how a Drag Performance, or Queens in general would be offensive either...

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

yeah, that is why i use the GLBTQ+ the plus sign for other identities

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: JadeStar

Personally I have no problem with them banning them if they had problems in the past with them. I do think it would probably be better for them to vett the performers and performances so they only had non-offensive drag queens present but since they often bring entourages of other people from their drag scene who would be offensive then maybe they decided to just ban them entirely?

Should this apply across the board to any parade?

Personally I have more of an issue with the "Leather Bondage".

Should public parades be completely G-rated as to not offend anyone?

What about Mardi Gras and Rio? (Those are most famous, but there are a lot more over-the-top parades and festivals in the world).

Should ALL acts be vetted?

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Darth_Prime

True, and to be fair Transgender people have said mean things about Drag Queens as well.. Just as much as Gay people can be 'Transphobic' Transgender people can be "Homophobic"

I agree.

No one has a monopoly on cultural insensitivity and bigotry and no one is immune to cultural insensitivity and bigotry either.

All the Queens i know are nothing but supportive of all Trans rights and issues and have never been 'Mean', but you are correct in saying that there are some out there, same with Transgender people.. it goes both ways

I agree but you have to admit the drag queens are more visible so if they are mean and hateful they will stick out and people will remember what they did longer than if some random transgender person does.

i mean, just because we are in the GLBTQ+ community doesn't absolve people from being Bigoted,Racist,Transphobic Etc

I agree.

However I do see a point in keeping drag performances out of an event which might draw a lot of young impressionable transgender people who are still dealing with issues of gender identity.

This i can't agree with, there should be no reason to not allow people to express themselves at an event that is supposed to be inclusive

Where do you draw the line though? If one group has a record of offending the other publicly for comedic and financial benefit then I see no problem. All inclusive does not mean all ideas are equally valid. Would they let someone from Westboro Church put on a performance? No because it would offend a lot of people.

I will say this, drag queens whole reason for existing often is to draw attention to themselves and to make a scene. most transgender people mostly DON'T want to draw attention themselves and just want to be left alone so this does not shock me that the two would in some cases not get along. It also would not shock me if the drag queens started whatever issues which lead to this but without knowing the backstory I can't really say that they did.

edit on 23-7-2015 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: Darth_Prime

yeah, that is why i use the GLBTQ+ the plus sign for other identities

I like that one. I think I'll start using it.

I read an article recently on all the additional "Letters". The plus sign is a good idea.

link   

blinks - stop the freaking planet - i want to get off

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

I don't think there should be special rules for parades as long as they don't break the law, people have the choice to attend or not

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Awww...no, just keep your arms and legs inside the ride. This is actually quite interesting!
Seriously.
I find it to be a timely, contemporaneous, learning experience.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

I don't think anyone enjoys "offensive" performances. What would an offensive Drag Queen performance look like?

How about putting on black face paint and pretending to "be black"? They frequently have done this.

Or how about singling out identifiably transgender women in the audience and refer to them with male pronouns? They've done that.

Or how about trivializing or turning into comedy the medical/surgical treatment of some transgender people? They've done that too..

I could go on, the list is long and it's common. People who the offense does not affect just laugh and clap and not know that they just empowered ignorance.

I'm sorry to hear that some are mean.
And I totally respect your position and self, I hope you know that.

I know now and thank you.
edit on 23-7-2015 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   

never mind. clarified.
Thanks, Jade

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Drag Queens are not all Attention Whores, we are performers yes, we perform in Drag, i guess the goal of a performer is an audience and applause, but it's not our whole reason for existing... the History of Drag is deep, and the different kinds of Queens as well.

The way you put it was that Drag Queens victimize Transgender people and are too ignorant of Trans issue to refer to a trans woman in male pronouns, but i tell you every queen i know personally, and even those I've interacted with online are nothing but supportive of Trans issues.

Where do Drag Queens have a record of offending Trans People publicly?

And what about us Genderfluid people that do perform in Drag but also outside of performance live in 'Drag" and identify as Male and Female?

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

Wait, honey, I'm confused.....

This was what you posted in your first entry ^^^

But now you are saying

as though someone else said it????

?

The 2nd quote was from Darth not me. I probably messed up quoting again.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   

How about putting on black face paint and pretending to "be black"? They frequently have done this.

Or how about singling out identifiably transgender women in the audience and refer to them with male pronouns? They've done that.

Or how about trivializing or turning into comedy the medical/surgical treatment of some transgender people? They've done that too..

Those things would be offensive to just about EVERYONE, though.

Those things are just wrong. I had no idea.
Rude, offensive, and hateful.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join