It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you have to carry ID, License, insurance, documents, blah?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I'm typing this after inspiration from another thread but with respect to the OP, pulled away instead of going off-topic or being a troll.

The thread was about a guy who got shot and killed after a traffic stop, and mentioned issues with him showing ID/license so I asked if that is the law in some US states, maybe a federal law?

There is no problem in the UK if the driver tells the constable the same details as his/her police radio has told them about the car's number/license plate registered keeper, and the driver looks the right age.
If there was a difference then the constable has reasonable suspicion to detain for purposes of identification, but it still is not an offence until the police can prove the driver has lied.

I have a British passport and driving license but I only need to show them if I want to leave the country or within seven days of being involved in a traffic stop by a police constable.

So what's the deal in your country or US state folks?
I don't have to carry any ID in the UK, even as a car driver.
edit on 21.7.2015 by grainofsand because: ...last sentence

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   
There used to be laws that said if you know your information and the LEO could verify that you were fine. Now, LEO push laws that say you have to.comply with their every request.

Our protection as humans and US citizens aren't as important as their power trips. I mean the fear of their safety.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   
In the USA you must show ID if driving and stopped . Oftentimes you must show ID at the bank and the store
But one can vote with no ID
Yes one must have insurance papers in the auto
edit on 2Tue, 21 Jul 2015 14:22:17 -0500pm72107pmk212 by grandmakdw because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

My experience in the US: You are supposed to have your driver's license on you when you drive. If that is the only issue in the stop, the officer will likely let you go with a warning,verify by computer with other documents, give you a ticket or ask you to bring the item to that jurisdiction's police station within 24-48 hours.

Same with insurance and registration. Now you can show proof of insurance on your smartphone. Source: I used to be really, really disorganized.

For banks, I am usually asked for ID for anything other than small deposits. At the store, to purchase alcohol - though I am obviously over 21. At ehe E-cig shop, I am not asked, though anyone that even might appear to be under 18 is asked.

I keep thinking of more. I need a driver's license to get on a plane travelling within the country. To go to Canada, a mere 20 minuteas away, a driver's license used to be good enough, now I need a passport or Enhanced License (fancy term for an extra $50 to get) or an express pass if I work or go there often (another $50 or so), puts you in an express lane. I would need a passport to travel to Mexico or a express pass if I work and do business there often, costs about as much as a passport.
Most bars/restaurants will not ask me for ID for alcohol.

edit on 21-7-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Iamthatbish
That sounds horrible, our police usually stick to 'reasonable suspicion' while following the law.

a reply to: grandmakdw
Is that Federal or by state? We only have to show ID in the UK if the constable has 'reasonable suspicion' and although it probably is pushed to the limit, they still need to show that 'reasonable' suspicion. Case law ties their hands.
I haven't carried any ID for years because I am not required to.

edit on 21.7.2015 by grainofsand because: ...changed 'don't' to 'only' lol rushing

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Lol, I liked you reason

That all seems totalitarian and police state to me though, we don't have to carry any documents here.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: grandmakdw
In the USA you must show ID if driving and stopped . Oftentimes you must show ID at the bank and the store
But one can vote with no ID
Yes one must have insurance papers in the auto

I have to show either a voter registration card or an ID to vote in Alaska. It seems only reasonable, as to get a voter ID card you need an ID or license first anyway.

How else are they supposed to know which ballot to give you with out ID?

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I was out with my sister in her car once and she was hungry and I was in a hurry to get home. We stopped at Dairy Queen for her to get a quick bite and I suggested that I would drive while she ate. She said ok so we switched seats and I drove her car while she ate.

Next thing I know I had blue lights behind me and quickly realized my sisters inspection sticker was behind. I didn't have my wallet with me but I knew everything was good.

Long story short, I caught an $80 fine for not having proper ID. My sister caught a WARNING for her sticker. Isn't that a crock of crap? My sister did pay my fine for me and while waiting for the courtroom to open I did catch a great anecdote when some stoned dude left his packed metal bowl in his pocket when he went through the metal detector so it wasn't without some form of enjoyment.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   
As far as i know in the US you need ID on you while driving..but it is not awful. Wallet? Purse? Lol. I am a bit jealous of the lax in other countries.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

I agree ID is needed in certain circumstances but only when it benefits the citizen.
Carrying ID as a condition to drive or travel the roads (as a privilege) is an alien concept to me in the UK.
Is such a controlled mindset normal to any ATS members?
I find it interesting, and I couldn't see it wash here to be honest.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Terminal1

lol, glass pipes FTW.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Terminal1
Long story short, I caught an $80 fine for not having proper ID.

See that is exactly what shocks and surprises me.
No criminal offences like that for us here in normal day to day life UK.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

I'm pretty sure it's Federal. All states within compliance of course, tend to juridic their own way.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Lol, I liked you reason

That all seems totalitarian and police state to me though, we don't have to carry any documents here.

In regard to the driving documents. Depends on the jurisdiction, who pulls you over and why. I was once pulled over--well I actually was over--my old Cadillac broke down, I slowly rolled into a parking lot. I had a suspended licinse- due to non payment of insurance and my registration just expired. I begged the officer to let me have the car towed to my mother's home, 3 blocks away. He looked unhappy, but said "Yes. I will wait with you and I never want to see you again."

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: slapjacks

Sounds horrible if that is the thing in Federal law..."Show me your papers!"
Nothing like that here in the UK without 'reasonable suspicion' in the cops argument.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I don't think I should have to carry an ID...

Everyone should just recognize me because I'm so awesome!

Okay, sorry...I had to inject a little humor, it's getting depressing on here as of late. In all reality though having some form of ID to prove who you are isn't a terrible thing. What if someone else claimed to be you and neither had documents to prove it?

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Nice 'good cop' story

I've got loads more myself than the 'bad' cop ones.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   
No doubt... though I'd have left it in my car...

Must have been good stuff... lol.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Terminal1

...but wherever it is you live you are required to carry ID if you are driving yeah?
Police state don't you think?

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Lol, I liked you reason

source

"When You're Driving...

Driving without a license is a crime in all states and in Washington, D.C. This means you need to have your valid driver's license on hand if an officer stops you while driving. Failing to show proof of a valid license is a lesser offense than not having a license at all, but it can still be a crime"

Normally other paperwork can prove who you are and they run your plate, so just not producing the physical thing results in nothing, unless they want to be a jerk.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join