It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you have to carry ID, License, insurance, documents, blah?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
a reply to: roadgravel

But still you meekly conform?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I follow the law our society has made. I don't do crimes so I prefer to not give some one the chance to waste my time, money and freedom. i don't rob people either because it is not legal to do.

if I was walking around and asked, had no ID, i doubt anything would come of it. An id is not required to walk around.
edit on 7/21/2015 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/21/2015 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Here in the UK a driver can elect any police station in Scotland, England, Northern Ireland, or Wales to prove who they are within 7 days. No crime, just normal procedure because we don't have to carry papers to drive.
...any state of a size similar to the UK could offer the same instead of it being a crime to drive without papers.
It seems we are the land of the free.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   
In Canada, if you're driving, you need to carry your license on you. Just like anything that you need to be licensed to do, when doing it, you have to show the appropriate paperwork to show that you are qualified to do so.
It only makes sense. We have some reckless drivers as it is, and it would be worse if there's unqualified drivers, or drivers that had their license taken away for drunk driving, or just bad driving consistently.
Especially in winter....

I think there's no fine if you forgot your license and show up at the cop shop within 24th hours.

Otherwise we don't have to carry id, but they've always told us it would be wise for identification help if you show up dead, or medical id bracelets/tattoo if you're found unconscious for some reason.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   

a reply to: intrptr

Wow that really does seem to be a police state.
I haven't carried ID 'as the norm' in the UK for decades.
We are not required or have been conditioned to do so.

That really surprised me. West Coast, US is multicultural, has a lot of undocumented people, drugs, gangs, drug/gang wars and a ton of crime, so they've pretty much adopted a guilty of something until proven innocent approach here.

This means first and foremost having Identification. They aren't going to believe anything you tell them, just hand over your ID. They will swipe the magnetic strip on the back into the computer in the squad car that links nationally to see what record you have and any outstanding fines or warrants.

Once cleared of that, then they relax a little, looking at your person, vehicle and circumstance with a fine tooth comb before letting you go on your way. Its all innocuous and buddy, buddy of course, unless they find something illegal or if you resist.

If they don't require valid ID to be carried where you are, they must have some other system in place to confirm who you say you are?

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Here in the UK a driver can elect any police station in Scotland, England, Northern Ireland, or Wales to prove who they are within 7 days.

What is the process for doing so? Please provide the details.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

But still you meekly conform?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I follow the law our society has made. I don't do crimes so I prefer to not give some one the chance to waste my time, money and freedom. i don't rob people either because it is not legal to do.

if I was walking around and asked, had no ID, i doubt anything would come of it. An id is not required to walk around.

So you just meekly 'follow the law' then, because society made it?
If you were a citizen would you agree with the ban on driving by women in Saudi then?

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Here in the UK a driver can elect any police station in Scotland, England, Northern Ireland, or Wales to prove who they are within 7 days. No crime, just normal procedure because we don't have to carry papers to drive.
...any state of a size similar to the UK could offer the same instead of it being a crime to drive without papers.
It seems we are the land of the free.

It is similar here. generally, a person gets ticket and it is waived if they show proof later. People do forget to carry it. The ticket is a document stating you will appear to resolve the issue. It does not admit to guilt of a crime.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Here in the UK a driver can elect any police station in Scotland, England, Northern Ireland, or Wales to prove who they are within 7 days.

What is the process for doing so? Please provide the details.

The investigating officer asks you which police station you wish to present your documents at, nothing too complicated.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Land of the free eh? lol

Believe me, I'm aware of the dichotomy and hypocrisy. Most people are, but we haven't much choice. You don't operate a vehicle, get a job, apply for loans, start accounts, get cell phones, etc., without being able to confirm your Identity. We can't even get a library card here without filling out forms and submitting thumb print and valid ID. Not that I go anymore, we got the interwebz to talk on…

You've heard of the slowly rising frog pond temperature thing?

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
If they don't require valid ID to be carried where you are, they must have some other system in place to confirm who you say you are?

Yep, believing us if the information we provide is the same as they see on the police database.
No discrepancies then they have no reasonable suspicion we are lying.
Ain't rocket science.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Doesn't sound much different in GB than here.

Need a license
Don't have, prove it later.
Can't prove it, pay a fine.

Right?

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Yep, believing us if the information we provide is the same as they see on the police database.
No discrepancies then they have no reasonable suspicion we are lying.
Ain't rocket science.

Well there you go, it ain't rocket science, just trust.

We lack that here. Our rockets aren't doing too good either, lately.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   

The investigating officer asks you which police station you wish to present your documents at, nothing too complicated.

So you actually have to present documents to the police after all?

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Difference I see is any law requiring the carry of papers to drive, we have a week to prove things here in the UK before it becomes an alleged offence referred to the Crown Prosecution Service.
There is NO requirement to carry a drivers license to drive here.

*Edit*
Or insurance documents or ID.
We get 7 days to prove stuff before there is any problem.
...and again, we can prove it in any police station in England, Wales, Scotland, or Northern Ireland which we nominate.
It's more chilled here

edit on 21.7.2015 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   

There is NO requirement to carry a drivers license to drive here.

But you still have to prove it. Sounds like this is all semantics.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Nope, the obvious point is that a cop can't give us a hard time because we are not carrying ID.
Do you genuinely not see the difference?

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
I have to show either a voter registration card or an ID to vote in Alaska. It seems only reasonable, as to get a voter ID card you need an ID or license first anyway.

How else are they supposed to know which ballot to give you with out ID?

You can vote without either, but it becomes a "contested ballot" under state law. That means it gets counted, but only after it has been hand checked against the other ballots cast to ensure it isn't a matter of someone voting twice.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Nope, the obvious point is that a cop can't give us a hard time because we are not carrying ID.
Do you genuinely not see the difference?

No, I do not.

I would not get a hard time either unless I was seriously breaking motor vehicle laws. The worst that can happen (if you are not a criminal) is you will get a citation and you will have to appear before a judge and show your ID. Most likely they will run your name and if your photo comes up and matches you are let go without issue.

Sounds like you were just playing semantics.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

To me that is just so wrong, if ever there was a case where a warning is in order that was it.

Fail on the cop for not having common sense.

BUT, how would flipping out on the cop have helped him.

Don't get me wrong, there are many cops power tripping, with a little roid rage, and add a little narcissistic personality disorder. But how does it ever help getting confrontational?

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

I hail from the U.K also, as to the documentation only because i keep such documents in my wallet. As to a passport, i have not owned one since the last one ran out and my little boy was born, about 3 years. I cant really afford to travel abroad anymore and to be honest, current geopolitical considered i dont really wish to, especially so with two kids in tow.
edit on 21-7-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join