It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you have to carry ID, License, insurance, documents, blah?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
I don't think I should have to carry an ID...

I agree with you there. I am glad I do not have to.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   
In my state, you have to have ID on you when stopped. Driving without your license on your person carries a fine.

However, insurance has now gone to companies reporting to the tag (license plate) department. As long as you are in their electronic file, you don't need to carry insurance cards. It's still a good idea for some, the cops don't like having to look you up. I don't carry them.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   
To be honest I don't know what the actual law is, I have been driving since 1981.

I never gave it a second thought when I got pulled over, I just figured it is what you do, License, registration and insurance.

I never heard anyone protest this procedure until recently, and I still don't see what the big deal is to be honest.

I have always been VERY polite to police, it was just the way I was raised. And for myself it has never failed me. I just do not understand the people who get belligerent and are anything but cooperative.

It is ALWAYS a major FAIL to test their authority.

Having said that, after all we have seen posted in the last couple years I will NOT EVER call the police for assistance unless it is for an ambulance and my wife or son is dying. I avoid police at ALL costs now.

But when an encounter is out of my control, ea; traffic stop, I am a very humble, cooperative citizen.

I do wish I had a surveillance camera at all times to keep everyone honest.

Hope I wasn't to off topic OP.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I walk everywhere, and never "need" my ID, I make my spouse buy drinks, it gets scanned. I walk to work, no ID needed.

if you drive a car you have to have a license, that is also a form of ID, it is state by state but must meet a minimum federal standard (what ever the current ones are).

there is no federal law in the US that you must have an ID.

there may or may not be state laws that require it. (bars, buying tobacco)
edit on 21-7-2015 by thedigirati because: spelling

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

originally posted by: grainofsand
a reply to: reldra

Lol, I liked you reason

That all seems totalitarian and police state to me though, we don't have to carry any documents here.

source

"When You're Driving...

Driving without a license is a crime in all states and in Washington, D.C. This means you need to have your valid driver's license on hand if an officer stops you while driving. Failing to show proof of a valid license is a lesser offense than not having a license at all, but it can still be a crime"

Normally other paperwork can prove who you are and they run your plate, so just not producing the physical thing results in nothing, unless they want to be a jerk.

I'm still shocked it is a crime in the US to not be carrying 'your papers' while driving though.
Really surprised it snuck it's way into law there before the UK, it's usually the other way around, but I'm pleased to say there are no plans to make carrying ID the law here.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   

I don't have to carry any ID in the UK, even as a car driver.

I have no ID in the UK .... Best I have is a credit card. I dont drive, or travel abroad or shoot things so I have no need for any form of photo ID which I do not have and will never, on a point of principle, have

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64
To be honest I don't know what the actual law is, I have been driving since 1981.

I never gave it a second thought when I got pulled over, I just figured it is what you do, License, registration and insurance.

I never heard anyone protest this procedure until recently, and I still don't see what the big deal is to be honest.

I have always been VERY polite to police, it was just the way I was raised. And for myself it has never failed me. I just do not understand the people who get belligerent and are anything but cooperative.

It is ALWAYS a major FAIL to test their authority.

Having said that, after all we have seen posted in the last couple years I will NOT EVER call the police for assistance unless it is for an ambulance and my wife or son is dying. I avoid police at ALL costs now.

But when an encounter is out of my control, ea; traffic stop, I am a very humble, cooperative citizen.

I do wish I had a surveillance camera at all times to keep everyone honest.

Hope I wasn't to off topic OP.

You are playing it safe and that is perfectly normal. There are others who test the constitution, and we are allowed to, like the people you see on youtube testing checkpoints and such.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: AndyMayhew

I don't have to carry any ID in the UK, even as a car driver.

I have no ID in the UK .... Best I have is a credit card. I dont drive, or travel abroad or shoot things so I have no need for any form of photo ID which I do not have and will never, on a point of principle, have

What if you hit your head and forget who you are? It can be common sense, like I wear a bracelet saying I have an allergy and such.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: thedigirati
I make my spouse buy drinks, it gets scanned.
WTF???!!!
I am unaware of any scanned drinking government control in the UK.
Would you be kind enough to expand on that story please?

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

A lot of bars in the United States use image scanners due to the drinking age being 21 and people using fake ID's. If the bar is raided and an underage person is found the owners can use the scanned image to prove they checked ID. The person who then presented the fake ID is responsible and typically not the bar.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Thanks for the answer....scanned purchases are not 'a thing' here in the UK, we can drink at 18 anyway and the responsibility is down to 'does the person look 18' in bars.
I guess the litigation industry in the US forces bars to be more strict in the US to cover their arses?

Sounds a hell of a lot more strict and controlled in the US with carrying and showing ID though, bigtime.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: grandmakdw

Yes one must have insurance papers in the auto

In New Hampshire there's no law on insurance (you can drive UNINSURED, can you believe that!?)

I got pulled over for speeding just yesterday and was struggling to find my insurance, only to find out that they don't care lol

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   

I guess the litigation industry in the US forces bars to be more strict in the US to cover their arses?

In my opinion that is a major part of it as the proprietors want to cover themselves from any possible legal action.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

In my opinion that is a major part of it as the proprietors want to cover themselves from any possible legal action.
So, regarding carrying ID to travel by car without fear of being arrested or charged with an identity crime, what's your thoughts?

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Me neither in the USA. Yes, I said USA. Yes, I meant the USA!!!!!! Too bad we have been Iconisized. Because I really meant the USAAAAAAAAAAA.

Oh edit to say I really meant the USAAAAA..... Oh was that the US AAAAAAAA. Ohhhhh, I get it! The USAAAAAAAA. Don't forget it.
edit on 21-7-2015 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: StoutBroux
Me neither in the USA. Yes, I said USA. Yes, I meant the USA!!!!!! Too bad we have been Iconisized. Because I really meant the USAAAAAAAAAAA.
Hmm,have my references to the US been inappropriate in your opinion then?
Just checking because I didn't quite get the point of your post.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   

So, regarding carrying ID to travel by car without fear of being arrested or charged with an identity crime, what's your thoughts?

Since driving is considered a privilege I have no issue carrying a license. If you are actually pulled over without your license most officers will run your name and if your photo and information your provide (address, etc.) match will typically write you a summons.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   
All it takes is one time for a police officer to stop someone, take their word and let them go only to have them be an escaped convict who murders an entire family the next day and BOOM all the same people are complaining police aren't doing their job.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
Since driving is considered a privilege

Wow!? The land of the free considers driving a vehicle as a privilege?!
We don't here in the UK, it is a right if you show yourself to be competent.

...so you are happy with "show me your papers or I'll arrest your ass" type situations?
Genuinely curious as it is alien to life in the UK, I'm blown away by the privilege thing lol, pass the test you can drive. No requirement to carry identity papers.
Sounds like a police state to me.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
All it takes is one time for a police officer to stop someone, take their word and let them go only to have them be an escaped convict who murders an entire family the next day and BOOM all the same people are complaining police aren't doing their job.

I'm not aware of any historic stories like that in the UK, so it probably explains why we don't have to carry papers to drive.
Must be a US thing or specific to certain states?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join