It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We Knew it was coming: NAACP wants Stone Mountain CARVING removed.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Why don't these people that have a problem with every little thing in existence move somewhere else where they won't be offended by others even taking a breath?

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Voyager1
OMFG! This gets more ridiculous as it goes. When will the maniacal hysteria end?
I hope they don't win this one. What they don't understand is that all, everyone, every race will always secretly be slaves.

Your micro aggressions toward the perpetual victim classes have been duly noted.

edit on 15-7-2015 by MoreBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 07:54 AM
link   
50 cent offends me.
Can we have him removed?

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 08:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: Liquesence

Why is it only when a part of history that Southerners care for is in danger that all of a sudden "preserving history" is suddenly SUPER important, but up until then Southerners have been leading the way in masking and white washing history? Where was all the outrage for losing history when Oklahoma looked to ban AP History? Thankfully the guy pushing this controversy backed down, but I didn't see NEARLY this level of outrage of that event as I see over these ridiculous Confederate symbols.

Probably because most of us hadn't heard of it. You can't point to people discussing something that is national news and call them hypocrites for not discussing something that wasn't national news. I for one have not heard of this Oklahoma issue.

Oklahoma is not in the South, so I don't get the jab against Southerners.

The article you posted is rather biased and full of leftist hyperbole but I do see where its mentioned that the educators in Oklahoma were objecting to the course's contents. I've taken many a history course and sometimes they are indeed biased and painting the US as the root of all evil is one of the biases I've seen. Is it possible, just maybe, that they were objecting to a course they thought as biased?
edit on 15-7-2015 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Kromlech

Yea i know.. Sad isn't it. And some jihadi's in arab land wont allow their own people to build SnowMen either, they must be RACIST. Unbelievable i'd say, that in this day and age grown men won't let people build snow men simply because it might upset their pretend sky god. Sigh...

Next it will be the White House... I guess the English and Canadians will just have to burn it down again so they can change the name to suit their silly agenda.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Bicent76

You do know that the KKK marched around carrying US flags don't you? Or that Delaware fought for the Union, but didn't get rid of slavery until after the civil war.

Or that Ulysses Grant had slaves? It is apropos to compare this hand shaking and call to get rid of monuments and take flags down to ISIS erasing history. Why? Because the civil war was a horrible messy situation, and as it always goes in war both sides committed atrocities against the other. It helps the federalists and central Government types maintain their encroaching power to portray the Union as this holy slave-rescuer, and the rebels as these racist evil enemies when in reality they were just as complicit in doing horrible things as the south (more-so arguably, i.e. the native population).

But hey, the south lost so of course anything other than what you were spoon fed in the public education (indoctrination) system is the only truth.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 08:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

It is a Memorial.

Presumably, people in Germany, you know, real people, fought in the war, and they died. They *gasp* had families, and I am guessing those families like to remember their fallen loved ones, even IF they fought as Nazis.

Just like people today have large, elaborate funerals for their fallen loved ones who died as a direct result of their gang activities.

Who are you to tell people they cannot have memorials for the dead, even the dead who fought on a side whose cause you disagree with? Are you going to get similarly upset with war memorials in Germany and Japan?

Are you going to get upset that people memorialize criminals? Suicide bombers? Others who do things that others might think of as shameful?

Again, this is history. It deserves to be remembered with all its warts, even if it makes you butt hurt to do so. No one forces you to go there.

Actually there are many memorials to war dead from WWII in Germany and there is a very concerted effort to this day to recover and properly inter the bodies of war dead still left on the battlefield.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
50 cent offends me.
Can we have him removed?

He is headed out the door. Bankrupt.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I don't understand where this has all come from.

The flag has been there and used without any fuss being made about what it represents. I appreciate there probably will have been but none so great that it has been brought to my attention here in the UK as an issue.

Here in England, it was seen as racist to fly the English flag, due to the use of it by racist white bigots in marches. We took back the use of the flag and now people dont associate it with anything racist. A different senario but surely it all comes down to what the majority opinion is towards its meaning?

edit on 15-7-2015 by ProleUK because: T

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

originally posted by: butcherguy
50 cent offends me.
Can we have him removed?

He is headed out the door. Bankrupt.

He claims it is a 'strategic business move'.

In May, Forbes named 50 Cent as one of the five wealthiest hip-hop artists in the United States with a net worth of $155 million, largely from his business interests in clothing, beverages and music technology.
William Brewer, an attorney for 50 Cent, said in a statement that the bankruptcy filing would allow him to “continue his involvement with various business interests and continue his work as an entertainer” while he reorganizes his financial affairs.
Monday’s bankruptcy filing lists his liabilities as in the region of $10 million to $50 million and his estimated assets in the same range.

Yahoo Music

Sounds like he needs some kind of new strategy.... down $100 million in the last 2 months.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 08:51 AM
link   
No better than statues of Sadam Hussain tear down those statues.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Hushabye

And why not take down MT. Rushmore?
Half those guys had '' SLAVES"!
edit on 15-7-2015 by tinymind because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-7-2015 by tinymind because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 08:57 AM
link   
What next?
Do we take up all the maps of Africa and rename all the countrys and rivers?

Maybe our local DJ was right, we should rename Cracker Barrel to White Guy Barrel or some such silliness.
At first I could understand the stance against the Confederate Battle flag, but lets don't get rediculus.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   

What do you think the American Flag stands for?

I wonder why no one is mad about the American Flag flying for the last 150 years since the end of the Civil War and all of the atrocities that it has seen under that banner.

Africans think that the Confederate flag had something specifically to do with them, but they fail to see how they have equally been raped and pillaged under the American Flag. They couldnt vote or even sit at the front of the bus until after 1960 something, but they are mad at the Confederate Flag for doing that to them when the current American Flag flew that whole time. They were still being segregated 100 years after the end of the Civil War and that all happened under the current banner. Plus I have observed hundreds of pictures of the KKK marching behind the American Flag which more explicitly represents racism and hatred than the Confederate Flag could ever conjure.

Just like how homosexuals can only just NOW be married legally. What about their persecution under the American Flag? Made to be segregated against and treated unequally? What about women's rights that have ALL been stomped on under the American Flag? They STILL arent paid as equally as their male counterparts AND barely have the right to choose what to do with their own bodies. I dont see people whining that the American Flag held them down while all of this was happening?

I mean how can you sit here and blindly accept that we kill thousands of innocent people all over the globe under the banner of the American Flag and not be ashamed and pissed off about that? Who gave us the right to police the world and decide that someone else minding their own business is in the wrong?

In short, if you are ashamed of the Confederate Flag, you better be prepared to stand up against what the American Flag stands for or you have no clue what is going on and are just ignorant of the world around you. Which in that case, your opinion immediately ceases to retain any value.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
Everyone just relax. Nothing is being banned or torn down or removed or stopped from selling.

It's just one flag in South Carolina!

Sheesh people!

And until it actually happens, this will remain true.

I take it you do understand the difference between actual reality and pointless fear mongering?

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

The thing is, no matter how irrational these people want to be, there is a massive difference between removing an association to a symbol of hate from the seat of an elected government and removing the same symbol from a historically relevant site.

The NAACP will not win this, and those within the organization pressing for anything like this are just embarrassing themselves and doing this debate no favors.

I was all for the removal of that flag from the premises of an elected government charged with representing all of its citizens, but the removal of history because it's "uncomfortable" is not acceptable to any rational person.

The NAACP will fail in this, because the majority of decent people can tell the difference between these things.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   

In short, if you are ashamed of the Confederate Flag, you better be prepared to stand up against what the American Flag stands for or you have no clue what is going on and are just ignorant of the world around you. Which in that case, your opinion immediately ceases to retain any value.

Dude if you commit a crime you dont say hey what about the other guy he did bad stuff too. . . You own up to the vile wrongness you have done.

The confederates were fighting to enslave thier fellow human beings, and it was the country of America that freed them.

Sure America has done wrong and continues to do so, karma is a Bit## and its still in a constant state of change.

Could be a change for the better or for the worse, we have yet to see. . . . .
edit on 15-7-2015 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc
Probably because most of us hadn't heard of it. You can't point to people discussing something that is national news and call them hypocrites for not discussing something that wasn't national news. I for one have not heard of this Oklahoma issue.

It certainly WAS national news.
CNN
Huff Po
Washington Post

Hey look, it was even discussed on ATS.

Oklahoma is not in the South, so I don't get the jab against Southerners.

It's about defending history in general, regardless of whether it is culturally important to your region of the US. Besides, Oklahoma is DEFINITELY in the south according to every measure we've invented to determine Southern states (Missouri Compromise and the Mason Dixon line).

The article you posted is rather biased and full of leftist hyperbole but I do see where its mentioned that the educators in Oklahoma were objecting to the course's contents. I've taken many a history course and sometimes they are indeed biased and painting the US as the root of all evil is one of the biases I've seen. Is it possible, just maybe, that they were objecting to a course they thought as biased?

Lol ya right. The teachers thought this was a terrible idea too. But hey, maybe you are right. After all, we all know that politicians ALWAYS know better than SME's right?
edit on 15-7-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Take them down and auction them off to the highest bidder. All confederate memorbelia needs to go from public funding. We dont celebrate symbolism of slavery. It may have happened in the past but it needs to stop period.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I hope GA never lets this happen.
It reminds me of the Taliban.

This guy thought it was ok to stop and point a gun at a guy's head because the guy had a flag.
wtvr.com...
I want to know why he's not in jail.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join