It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We Knew it was coming: NAACP wants Stone Mountain CARVING removed.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

That's essentially what I meant. haha
Re-writing it/erasing it.
Both are stupid, and accomplish nothing but make the re-writer/eraser look like a moron.

I am very concerned about people trying to re-write history, and not just in the sense of these situations.

posted on Jul, 14 2015 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Oh man let the hyperbolic ISIS comparisons roll in!

Guess that fact that ISIS does so at gun point doesn't matter.

One organization speaking its mind about what it wants is just like ISIS.

I don't think it should happen and don't think it will either.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 12:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

So people who want to keep history, to keep it relevant are drama queens and the people who want to erase it are. . . . progressive?

Making comparisons to ISIS over calls for the removal of a 43 year old carving built by people affiliated with the Klan and with the support of the Klan? Yea, that's melodramatic drivel. All things aren't equally worthy of preservation and there's absolutely no loss to history by the removing the carving.

Exactly what history are we "keeping relevant" with the carving and why is this carving a necessary part of doing so?

The Sons of Liberty pulled down a gilded statue of King George III in New York in 1776, melted it down and made ammunition. Are you shedding a tear over that? When Ukranians pulled down that Lenin statue in Karkiv last year, did they "erase history?" Maybe we should be funding Iraqis reconstructing all those Saddam Hussein statues that have been toppled? The difference is obviously that unlike with the above, the conservatively correct opinion on the leaders of the Confederacy is that they are deserving of veneration.

Anyway, as I stated above, I think it's unreasonable to expect the carving to be removed or replaced, even if it's perfectly reasonable that the man should want it to be done. As for Confederate memorials and graves; I'd say that common decency dictates that graves should be left untouched and a call for the unilateral removal of memorials is completely irrational grandstanding.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 01:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence
Ok, so, some of us in jest mentioned this in other threads. Now, it appears that some people are pressing to make it happen.

I'm raising my hand as high as I can.

I called this #, As soon as SC removed that flag I said it would "set a precedence, doing everything short of offically criminalizing the flag" But, thankfully the state of Georgia's not gonna budge on that, i think that would literally start the next civil war.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 02:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Bicent76

you do know the confederated had black slaves right?

They also had black fighters, and you do know the North had slaves too...so do we remove the American flag also?

slavenorth.com...

Guess that get's forgotten.

I also drive by Stone Mountain daily and enjoy the fact they have it as it is part of our history.
edit on 15-7-2015 by tsurfer2000h because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 05:09 AM
link   
OMFG! This gets more ridiculous as it goes. When will the maniacal hysteria end?
I hope they don't win this one. What they don't understand is that all, everyone, every race will always secretly be slaves.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Everyone just relax. Nothing is being banned or torn down or removed or stopped from selling.

It's just one flag in South Carolina!

Sheesh people!

What do you mean? Did they start selling confederate flags again online? Just about everywhere originally stopped selling them. This isn't just one flag. I live down south, and I can see how it is affecting the community here. The NAACP and other groups are definitely trying to get the flag erased from history. They don't want it shown ANYWHERE. The problem with that is, the flag is a SYMBOL for a way of life, a persons identity and heritage. It has nothing to do with "racism" or "bad stuff".

By the way, I'm originally from Chicago, Ill.....so I'm not bias one way or the other. I don't own, nor ever payed attention to the confederate flag. I DO see how important it is to those who DO fly the flag.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Yes because being grabbed forcefully and move to another land and forcing them to work is so different.

The English pretty much depopulation Ireland at one point..

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 07:05 AM
link   

And it's time for you to study history.

Your ignorance is embarrassing.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 07:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Hushabye

Great idea, maybe they can replace it with the Muslim God - /sarcasm

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 07:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bicent76

originally posted by: pheonix358
How is this any different from ISIS destroying historical sites in the Middle East.

It is the same mind set!

It is a stupid mind set.

P

you do know the confederated had black slaves right? They held that flag up, and that flag represents their dogma right? Part of that dogma, was to dominate another race beating them, raping them, and forcing them to work, oh and not to mention MURDER THEM!!

I think it is about time to grow the hell up in AMERICA....

Yes, the Confederacy did, so what? That happened over 100 years ago. It was shameful, but it was also history.

The pyramids in Giza were also built using slave labor as were many of the most famous buildings in Rome like the Coliseum.

Should we all demand those things be destroyed too? No, they are history. We learn from history. We do not destroy it because it has uncomfortable aspects we would prefer to forget. Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it. Haven't you also learned that?

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 07:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

I often wonder if they read forums like this one for their 'brilliant ideas' and say hey that's a great idea lets destroy the monuments too, who's gonna oppose us? We've got the LGBT and the LIBERALS and other Gov't NumbNuts on our side and everyone is bat sh*t scared to oppose them because they've all become pussies. Lets do it!

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 07:13 AM
link   
yeah they are obviously so UPPITY.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 07:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Why is it only when a part of history that Southerners care for is in danger that all of a sudden "preserving history" is suddenly SUPER important, but up until then Southerners have been leading the way in masking and white washing history? Where was all the outrage for losing history when Oklahoma looked to ban AP History? Thankfully the guy pushing this controversy backed down, but I didn't see NEARLY this level of outrage of that event as I see over these ridiculous Confederate symbols.
edit on 15-7-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 07:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Seeker Mom

And it's time for you to study history.

Your ignorance is embarrassing.

UM black americans are not isis.... I do not understand what the big deal is, removing symbols of hate, from government facilities it only exist in the south it appears, the same region that has a ugly history of racism.. The last outbreak in the 60's. I don't really care but I sure as hell know my history. I think most people with an opinion on this topic, have more emotional attatchments to this topic, and not enough facts about it or the history of this flag... Also some people cannot wrap their heads around the fact that the natzi's and the American, confederation have similarities in their dogma's.

I dont see any natzi flags flying in BERLIN...

edit on b202015-07-15T07:20:12-05:00America/Chicago73176 by Bicent76 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: jellyrev

yeah.. sounds like humanity is Rype for the NWO. Delete it all and start over.
edit on 7/15/2015 by awareness10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 07:26 AM
link   

a reply to: beezzer

so did the swastika, what is your point?

You sir, are a liar.

Prove it.

I hope that is just a jester's model of thread mayhem. I should I call it a gesture....

You can't prove it and you aren't man enough to admit you were wrong.

the natzi's were rebels bunny...

google can prove it ask her..

The "natzi's", spelled Nazis, were the duly elected majority party of Germany. I can understand that you have difficulty "googling" facts because one assumes that one has to actually spell the point of interest correctly to get the correct information back.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 07:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

originally posted by: stosh64
Here is the video of him talking about it.

Better burn those Civil war books too!

ISIS would be proud

Thanks for the video.

That carving is so offensive I cover my kids' eyes. Yep, burn the books, erase the past.

Do it all over again.

ETA: And I don't even have kids, so I have to cover other people's kids' eyes!

Stone Mountain is off the beaten path. If it bothers him so much, he doesn't have to go there and see it.

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 07:38 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 15 2015 @ 07:42 AM
link   

It is a Memorial.

Presumably, people in Germany, you know, real people, fought in the war, and they died. They *gasp* had families, and I am guessing those families like to remember their fallen loved ones, even IF they fought as Nazis.

Just like people today have large, elaborate funerals for their fallen loved ones who died as a direct result of their gang activities.

Who are you to tell people they cannot have memorials for the dead, even the dead who fought on a side whose cause you disagree with? Are you going to get similarly upset with war memorials in Germany and Japan?

Are you going to get upset that people memorialize criminals? Suicide bombers? Others who do things that others might think of as shameful?

Again, this is history. It deserves to be remembered with all its warts, even if it makes you butt hurt to do so. No one forces you to go there.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join