It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

At what point should we step in and say "Stop being religious..."

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 02:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

As long as it's not forced in your life I guess we can't. I think having a faith is part of many lives, and it mostly help people to grow, sometimes by seing how wrong it is... Anyway, as for the cat well, maybe you can insist on bringing it home to pray on it overnight, like in going to the vet with it

Jeff

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Stop being so religious.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Not off the top of my head but I'll think on it and come back if I think of anything.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 02:16 AM
link   

The cat should not suffer if at all possible. That should be the primary consideration. As custodians of the cat, it is their duty.

Beyond that, prayers are not causing harm. At the least, they are giving comfort that the praying person is 'doing all they can'. At the most, well, who knows?...

Is your indignation about your relatives doing anything for the cat?

edit on 4/7/2015 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 02:18 AM
link   

You could point out to the religious persons that the cat also is one of God's creations, and that God might not be so happy that they let it suffer and it should be taken to the vet..................

edit on 742015 by BobbyRock because: felt like it

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 02:22 AM
link   

I understand your quandary, and sympathize with your familial plight. It is difficult to interpret their actions based on a belief system that is foreign to those that don't ascribe to said beliefs, BUT, an animal(I have 3 dogs who are a central part in our lives) is a whole lot different than one's child when it comes to life-and-death decisions. Are you and your wife willing to burn bridges in your family by interceding on the cat's behalf? Is it possible their faith wouldn't waver if their child was in a critical health situation?

I consider myself a spiritual man, and a big part of my life is my faith in something bigger than the whole. I would never push my beliefs on others, nor judge if different than my own--all I ever asked is to be extended the same courtesy. I hope this situation gets resolved without unnecessary suffering of the cat, or an all-out family war.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 02:24 AM
link   
At what point should people step in and tell you 'stop being an atheist'. When you figure that out you will have the answer to your question.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 02:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: WakeUpBeer
Just ask them when the last time they saw God answered prayers of health etc. without the aid of modern understanding was, and there you go.

Quite a few christian churches have specific 'healing services', periodically.

I see a 'healing' nearly every month or so but I suspect many of these have an entirely natural explanation.

I have, however, seen healing that cannot be explained from natural standpoint (about once every few years).

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 02:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147

originally posted by: WakeUpBeer
Just ask them when the last time they saw God answered prayers of health etc. without the aid of modern aid was, and there you go.

If only it was that easy to enlighten a highly religious individual. Unfortunately, they will try their hardest to alter reality in order to protect their faith.

Do you realize how condescending the above sounds? You don't know the truth any more than I do. Stop being so pretentious.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Report them to the Humane Society or whomever in your jurisdiction can deal with this in a legal fashion.
It's one thing when the religulous make themselves suffer for their willful ignorance but to allow that defenseless animal to suffer needlessly for their stupidity is beyond wrong.

K~

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 02:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
At what point should people step in and tell you 'stop being an atheist'.

Only when they are telling someone with a dying toddler to stop being religious.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 02:32 AM
link   
You did read the topic farther than the title, did you not? Your comment makes no sense in the context of this thread

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 02:59 AM
link   
That is a point, right there. That cat is in horrible pain. It needs treatment or needs to be put to sleep. There are no ifs, ands or buts about this. If they aren't told this about a cat, who knows what they will do with a child? If they continue in this manner, I would call animal control/humane society.
I hate government involvement, and if you think their home is ok for any scrutiny otherwise, call.

edit on 4-7-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 03:29 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Yup call the rspca if a cat and social services if a child. I consider it neglect.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 04:08 AM
link   

The bit about the cat reminds me of an old story/joke that I've heard multiple versions of (not that I am religious). Here's the first one I found on Google, taken from a user post on ebaumsworld;

One day a man was in his boat sailing in the ocean when all of the sudden the wind tipped him over and the boat sank.
A big boat passed by and asked the man, "do you need any help?" and the man said, "no thank you, God will save me" and the sailor went on his way.

Another big boat came by and asked the man the same thing, the man replied, "No thank you, god will save me"
later that day the man had become to exhausted and finally drowned.

He arrived in heaven and said to god. " God! why didnt you save me?!"

God Replied...

"I sent you two big boats you dummy!"

Edit: I guess what I'm saying is they should be thanking God for vets instead of praying to him for miracles if that's what they believe.
edit on 4-7-2015 by BelowLowAnnouncement because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 04:34 AM
link   
I am one of those strange Reiki people who to lay off hands to make the body relax and self heal. Here is what I would have done if I had a animal that was harmed.

Push energy into the animal to relief the suffering as much as possible while taking it to the vet to get the technological help.

There is no reason to not use both spiritual and physical knowledge in unison for bets result. The point is to remove suffering is it not.

I would also call in a few more Reiki friends to help out to increase self healing (placebo effect) by adding more energy to the body.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Anymore, I'm on the fence when it comes to God and religion. While I've not called myself a Christian in a very long while, there's something about it that still resonates with me. That said, I think I can call the types of people who only pray and wait for healing ignorant.

I'm reminded of the analogy of a man treading water in the ocean praying that God would save him. A man comes by on a boat and offers him assistance. The man in the water declines and says that God will save him. Awhile longer, another man with a boat comes by and offers help. Still, the man in the water declines and says that God will save him. The man finally drowns.

You would think these people praying for healing would recognize the possibility that doctors and modern medicine are the answers to their prayers. They're too busy praying for something that's already been answered.
edit on 7/4/2015 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 04:47 AM
link   
a reply to: BelowLowAnnouncement

I just saw you used the same story I did.

At any rate, it's spot on to the OP. Willful ignorance at its finest.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Assuming that their beliefs are correct, why the hell would God magically fix their cat's broken legs when they have it fully within their own power to drive it to the vet? That's like asking God to microwave your dinner for you because you don't feel like getting off the couch for 30 seconds.
Being Christians though, logic isn't exactly their strong suit.

The sad thing is, when the cat's bones don't magically piece themselves back together, these Christians will attribute the failure of healing to one of them not having enough faith.

These people are insane.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 05:35 AM
link   

if it was not praying but herbal medicine or naturopathic or something along those lines
that they were suggesting

what would you think.. how would you feel

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join