It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

At what point should we step in and say "Stop being religious..."

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2015 @ 11:44 PM
link   
.... (Continued from previous post)

originally posted by: ServantOfTheLamb
a reply to: Ghost147
my issue is you blame it on them being religious rather than them just being irrational people. There are irrational people of all beliefs including atheism.

If the reasoning that they have for their actions is their religion, then yes, it is their religions fault for inspiring them to do it. There isn't one specific sect of Christianity after all. Their view of Christianity may be entirely different from yours. Individuals pick and choose which parts of their religion they want to follow. The individuals in the OP chose this route, and their religion, from their perspective, taught them this is what should be done.

So when I say "Stop being religious", it's not "Stop being a christian, all you christians", it's to those individual people who are unintentionally causing harm and their religion applies to their own personal perspective on what Christianity teaches (in this case).

originally posted by: ServantOfTheLamb
My point was you didn't make that very clear from the beginning of the post, and that you blame it on their religion(which they aren't following by these actions anyways) rather than them just being irrational people.

I did make it clear, the issue is that you're reading the conflict in the OP as if it is YOUR religion. Clearly the individuals in the OP have a different view on what Christianity is and how the world functions. You say "They aren't following it correctly" when you aren't following their view of Christianity correctly. There are over 40,000 denominations of Christianity, you all have different views, some extreme, some not so different. The one thing you all agree on is that you don't agree what details within Christianity are correct. They follow one denomination that you do not. I didn't ever say "Christianity is doing this, end it now!", Their religion on the other hand, yes, I'll say that in accordance to the actions they almost took.
edit on 5/7/15 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   
So....

HOW IS THE CAT?!

Suffering needlessly still?
I hope you called the local ASPCA. Or Animal Control. I've called them many times when animals are being neglected or abused. They do respond. They WILL take the cat regardless of the family's religion.

This makes me so sick.
The poor, helpless creature is enduring torture in the name of "God"?

Horrifying.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Somehow I think if it was the cousin who had been hit by the car instead of a cat, that they'd have hopped right to modern medicine and saved the praying for when they are in the waiting room waiting for the surgery to finish.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
So....

HOW IS THE CAT?!

Suffering needlessly still?
I hope you called the local ASPCA. Or Animal Control. I've called them many times when animals are being neglected or abused. They do respond. They WILL take the cat regardless of the family's religion.

This makes me so sick.
The poor, helpless creature is enduring torture in the name of "God"?

Horrifying.

I mentioned in a topic update (I believe 1 or 2 pages back) that they finally took it to the Vet after a number of friends and family were extremely upset with their actions (or lack there of). I'm still not totally sure of it's current condition, but I'll make sure to post it in another topic update when I do. Be on the lookout for large-red letters

Thanks for your concerns

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
Somehow I think if it was the cousin who had been hit by the car instead of a cat, that they'd have hopped right to modern medicine and saved the praying for when they are in the waiting room waiting for the surgery to finish.

It's possible. But, I still have heard of cases where highly religious individuals still opted for faith-healing and prayer rather than modern medicine (despite a very simple procedure). In all those cases, the family member passed away in extremely poor conditions.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   

YAY!! Peer pressure. I hope they never forget the lesson. I also hope the cat recovers without too much difficulty.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Yea, I've heard of similar instances as well so it wouldn't necessarily surprise me. It's just that you can usually see the true hypocrites when things that TRULY matter are on the line; and, frankly, as much as we all love our pets, they are usually never on the same level as our human family.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I agree.
Although I think their original actions are still just as irresponsible

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Oh totally, it's just easier to rationalize with yourself when seeing an animal suffer or a human that isn't related to you in someway suffer.

Fun Fact: Mother Teresa enjoyed watching the sick she was caring for suffer in agony and shody living conditions. Then when she HERSELF was sick and dying, she, naturally, sought out the best health care money could buy (in the states I might add).

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   

I hate to say this, but it just crossed my mind that they don't think it's worth the EXPENSE of a vet, when "it's only a cat."

People make me sick.
Even if they're dirt poor, they could splint the legs and research best "first aid" practices for an injured animal.

Good grief. Keep us updated on whether they insist that all the 'whiners' help them PAY for the cat's treatment.
Stupid assholes. And, I sure as HELL hope they don't have little kids who are fond of that cat.

I have had more of my animal companions die in my arms than I even want to think about. It's heartbreaking.

One of our cats, still a kitten, came home one night and we found him lying next to the water dish - a quick palpation (feeling around) revealed it had been SHOT. We took it to the vet ER - and I called the police. They said "meh" - property damage. I said, "NO - not 'meh.' It is a FELONY to commit cruelty to animals." The occifer had to call his boss to "check," and sure enough, I was right - because I'd done my legwork and KNEW it was a felony.

The cat survived - although his gut was full of putrid tomato-soup (as the vet described it). The vet removed the pellet and sewed him up, and our kitty fully recovered. We even know who did it - and he's the biggest asshole on the block. NO ONE can stand the guy.

Anyway - it is a FELONY in the US as well as the UK. An accident, like being run over by some asshole who hits and runs, is different - but the driver should STILL have been held responsible.

In
My
Opinion

edit on 7/6/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Oh totally, it's just easier to rationalize with yourself when seeing an animal suffer or a human that isn't related to you in someway suffer.

Fun Fact: Mother Teresa enjoyed watching the sick she was caring for suffer in agony and shody living conditions. Then when she HERSELF was sick and dying, she, naturally, sought out the best health care money could buy (in the states I might add).

That fact is fun! and disturbing at the same time.

a reply to: BuzzyWigs

I feel the same way.

I agree, vet bills are ridiculously expensive, but if that's not acknowledged before someone purchases an animal then they are bound to be irresponsible pet owners to begin with. We have pet insurance for all our animals, costs us a few dollars a month, and has already saved us at least $2000 (All completely unpreventable and unforeseeable accidents).

Animals are treated too often as a form of materialism with little to no realization that they're even alive to begin with. It's very upsetting.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Fortunately, we live in a suburb of the city that is very 'small-town' and all about hospitality and cooperation and help.

It did cost us $1300 (all told) - but it was the vet "ER" cost (and even though we brought him in and told them he had been shot, the doc first misdiagnosed him as having a urinary blockage. I kept calling and calling - finally the doc called me back and said, "You're right! He was pelletized!" As if she were shocked.
) that was the most expensive part of it.

At least they kept him alive long enough for us to get him and take him to our neighborhood vet.
Our vet is a great guy - and he DOES NOT charge insupportable prices. He's kind, and helpful, and reasonably priced.

He knows us by first name, and has been my go-to "petiatrician" for many years.
He has saved the lives of SEVERAL of my animals, and also assisted in euthanasia when it was necessary. We have two pet graveyards on our property. All with memorials (rocks and bricks).

Our pets are, actually, our family. I know how you feel. Thanks for the update, Ghost. (Your avy is icky, but I sure do like you a lot!!! hehe)
edit on 7/6/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: Ghost147Your avy is icky, but I sure to like you a lot!!! hehe

Hahaha, I'll take that as a compliment.

I'm glad you have a great veterinarian near you. He sounds like what every vet should be like

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   
THREAD UPDATE!

Sorry for the delay, but the Cat has been taken to the vet, and should make a full recovery

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join