It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

At what point should we step in and say "Stop being religious..."

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 01:30 AM
link   
My wife and I are both atheists. Just like a lot of atheists, we both state "believe what you wish so long as it isn't pushed on others, or harms something else".

Her relatives, on the other hand, are excessively religious, to the point that it has become a threat to the lives of others in the name of their faith.

This may seem insignificant to some, but what if this next incident were to happen to one of these people's children?

Her cousin just posted on facebook that her cat was hit by a car, and is currently unable to walk, or even stand up. Several of it's legs are broken and it is in extreme pain and misery. The cousin asked her family to help pray for her cat to get better. The family as suggested a number of specific prayers in order to faith-heal the cousin's cat.

Some of my wife's other family members (whom are "averagely" religious) are saying that they need to get the cat to the vet as soon as possible or it will die. The cousin and her family insist on praying alone, and although the cousin is following her family and doing the prayers they have suggested. *Spoil alert* The prayers haven't worked....

The cousin is becoming more and more frantic and has been considering taking the cat to the vet, like the other relatives have been stating. However, the direct family continues to insist on the prayers alone.

What makes it worse is that both my wife and I are very deeply involved in animal care. We just recently adopted a cat from the humane society, just brought 2 newborn kittens that we found in an abandoned garage to the humane society, have previously worked at the humane society and see just the amount of terror in the lives of some of the animals that the humane society receives because of animal abuse, among other animal-related conservation work outside of country.

Again, can you imagine if it wasn't your cousins cat that had this happen, but your cousins toddler?

At what point is it acceptable to step in and say "Stop being religious"?

EDIT: Will keep you guys updated on the situation
edit on 4/7/15 by Ghost147 because: Will keep you updated

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 01:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

Never. It is not your place to say that. Everyone has the right to do as they wish. While just praying alone is ignorant in my opinion I would go about it in a different way. Sometimes people fail to realize God can't do everything and anything but requires the individual to have the will power to do something to get the prayer done if that makes sense.

God or any other form of higher being is not there to do whatever we pray or hope for. We have to do some legwork to help make it happen. I was taught this. Now I may not be uber religous or anything but you need to tell your family member that going to the vet to get the cat some needed help is a step in the right direction. Pray all you want but if that cat isn't going to the doctor it will die...

As for my religeous preference. Science and Religion go hand in hand in some way in my opinion.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Your going to have to wait for God to heal them. I know that is not much help for an athiest.

They live in fear of not following the rules. When they should be following the rules out of love for humanity and not out of fear.

Their fear of God is greater than your fear of their irrational decisions.
edit on 4-7-2015 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 01:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Isurrender73

Very poetic and true

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 01:44 AM
link   
a reply to: 4N0M4LY

Interesting view. Although if you're doing the legwork by bringing it to the vet. and the vet is doing the legwork in helping save the life of an animal, then what part did god really have a hand in?

If the family decides not to do anything but pray, and the cat suffers a horrible, long death, then should they be punished by law in accordance to unnecessary suffering of an animal? Or should they get a free pass simply because it's their right to do as they see fit according to their religious ideologies?

Again, if this were to happen to a child, would you feel the same way?

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 01:45 AM
link   
a reply to: 4N0M4LY

The Levites were the doctors of the old testament. So yes, we are supposed to go to a doctor when we get ill.

I don't know how they miss that part.

You can go to the doctor and pray. Not one or the other.
edit on 4-7-2015 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 01:51 AM
link   

God I was told works in misterious ways. Bringing it to the hospital so that the vet can operate on the cat is not Gods work, Gods work is whether or not the cat lives through it or not. The vet can do the best job hes ever done on that cat and God could make that cat die anyway.

Now if the family decides to let the cat die anyway. They wont be arrested because they did not injure or abuse the animal as well as their religous view. They will get a free pass simply because of that. If it was a child it would be different. Most laws are obligated to do whatever it takes to keep the child alive, no matter what religious view you have. If they refuse, criminal charges may be set against them. That is just how the world works.
edit on 4-7-2015 by 4N0M4LY because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Just ask them when the last time they saw God answered prayers of health etc. without the aid of modern understanding was, and there you go.

edit on 7-4-2015 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 01:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: 4N0M4LY
Now if the family decides to let the cat die anyway. They wont be arrested because they did not injure or abuse the animal as well as their religous view. They will get a free pass simply because of that. If it was a child it would be different. Most laws are obligated to do whatever it takes to keep the child alive, no matter what religious view you have. If they refuse, criminal charges may be set against them. That is just how the world works.

I was asking about your opinion. If they do nothing but pray for the cat to get healed, and it dies, is that not a negative thing in your eyes? (again, same thing would apply to an incident involving a child)

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 01:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: WakeUpBeer
Just ask them when the last time they saw God answered prayers of health etc. without the aid of modern aid was, and there you go.

If only it was that easy to enlighten a highly religious individual. Unfortunately, they will try their hardest to alter reality in order to protect their faith.
edit on 4/7/15 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 01:58 AM
link   
James 2 14-17 says

14 What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? 17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

They can pray all they want, but if they don't act on that prayer/faith, well...*shrug*.....what can one do?
Gotta have the action in order to receive a reaction.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Maybe point out that they go to the doctor too?

Unless they don't. In which case, good luck. That sounds intense.

Sounds like that cat needs help one way or the other though..

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 01:59 AM
link   

It is a personal decision. I won't feel bad because I do not share an affection towards pets like some people do. Children in my opinion are different simply because the humanity factor plays a major part.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Not sure if this will help or not, but if it was me.. I'd search my mind for scriptures and religious perspectives that I could use to argue a case for taking the cat to the vet. If they want to believe in God etc. fine. Use their beliefs to your advantage if possible.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Children in my opinion are different simply because the humanity factor plays a major part.

Then you must be able to sympathize as to where my wife and I stand on this exact issue

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 02:03 AM
link   
a reply to: WakeUpBeer

I agree on that part strongly.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Absolutelty

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 02:04 AM
link   

As for my religeous preference. Science and Religion go hand in hand in some way in my opinion.

This is very interesting, can you elaborate? Won't force your hand though 'cause it's slippery subject. In my humble opinion, the more we open doors in sciences, the more we find other doors. The more we answer, the more we get other riddles. It's like universe in universe in universe...

Jeff

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 02:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: WakeUpBeer
Not sure if this will help or not, but if it was me.. I'd search my mind for scriptures and religious perspectives that I could use to argue a case for taking the cat to the vet. If they want to believe in God etc. fine. Use their beliefs to your advantage if possible.

Will give it a shot. Any other scripture-based arguments anyone has on the matter?

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 02:08 AM
link   
a reply to: LoveSolMoonDeath

As in somehow science could one day fill in the gaps that the bible cannot explain. Vice versa for religion.

In my humble thoughts...I tend to be logical when it comes to alot of things in life.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join