It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is Microsoft giving away windows 10?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   
To lock you into their product.
So they can continue to dominate the computing space for another decade or two.
a reply to: dismanrc

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   
from what I heard... the windows 10 returns to the Start Menu theme instead of the 'tiles' and the 4 times redundant cross-connecting of all those social-media interfaces...8.1 is good for little more than that....

I only accepted this all-in-one to replace my now off-line XP, office PC/work station...because it was 150$ less than I expected and was 'built-in' WI-FI capable....

my disposable fixed income is limited !
and if Win 10 will be the new fundamental OS, I might just step down to the Tablet next... the old HP running my Office/XP and pictures is over 10 y.o. & rickety-parsnickitty... so this 8.1 will be my new office/works off line device, taxes & such... good luck all
edit on th30143397683210532015 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Can anyone who used 10 tell me whether it is much more resource intensive? I have a laptop from 2010/2011 I might want to put it on. It was a fairly powerful machine at the time.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 02:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Boeing777

And they don't turn your pirated Windows 10 into a valid installation, they just allow you to install the OS but at the expense of having no updates.

Now, why does Apple provide free updates since 10.9 (mavericks) and no one gives a # about it?

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 03:50 AM
link   

I have read on anohter site that its going to be loaded as a service and not as platforms normally are and yes, you will have no control over the computer. MS can update and install changes anytime they want.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 04:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

From what I can gather, it is only the basic version of 10 that will have mandatory updates, and I'm sure someone will work out how to turn them off.

As for the OP, Microsoft have been giving away Windows 8.1 (with Bing) for quite some time now to OEM manufacturers....that is why we have seen a sudden surge in cheap tablets and notebooks/netbooks.

I've been running 10 preview for a few months and to be honest, I like it.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 04:59 AM
link   

I love the way they imply that Windows 10 will not just be another upgrade for pirates. Whats the bet its cracked on the first day of release? I also predict any pirated version will contain rather less intrusive DMCA regrading there media player.
edit on 11-6-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Um its because they need to compete. Win and mac aren't the only kids on the block anymore. And the new kids on said block are dirt cheap if not free. If Microsoft wants to stay relevant they gotta get in you computer at any cost.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 05:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boeing777

Agree. Nobody with a right mind would give away and allow illegal users to get a free Windows version. Stinks of alphabet agencies (GCHQ/NSA etc)

Except a company whose real money is in the corporate sector and relies on the run of the mill office staff being familiar with their operating system, particularly when this operating system is no longer the only horse in the race.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 05:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

Source please because this reads like absolute BS.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 05:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: starswift
So they can continue to dominate the computing space for another decade or two.

No one is "locked in" to windows. You are free to install any compatible OS you want.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 06:22 AM
link   
I have tried 10 and do not like it at all. It looks like a total Apple fork. Like they copied and pasted code right from Apple's model. It makes me ill to even think about..

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 07:25 AM
link   
I'm not sure you are replying to what I said.
They are dominating the computing platform which includes business, industry, government.
I didn't say anything about locking in,
If that is your inference.
a reply to: GetHyped

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: starswift

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: starswift

Yes, their core market share has always been business, but they aren't exactly dominating the computing world anymore. I would give that distinction to Google.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Soon....
Then it will be Gevil
a reply to: Krazysh0t

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I meant in the cosmic and collective sense...
; )
a reply to: GetHyped

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Definitely a little odd but people are trying all kinds of new odd things these days. Being oneof the biggest and best these days means putting more out there and hooking people intentionally or otherwise on your product. They'll release it like a first time drug buy then it'll get more expensive intrusive and less user friendly.
edit on 10-04-08 by Beach Bum because: More information added.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

Apple's IOS is ripped off from Linux - so maybe their both nibbling from the same place? Open source has one great advantage in that professionals and hobbyists, the world over, work on it - many obsessively. People are always checking and rechecking the work of others to make sure that it works right and that nobody has stuffed any malware into the code.

Several times in the past few months I have referenced that, IMO, Windows 8.1 feels and performs a LOT like the Gnome 3 desktop environment. It is very obviously influenced by it if nothing else. This happens to be why I like Win 8.1 - I was used to using Gnome 3 already.

Apple's desktop and functionality ( menu's included ) can be reproduced in some variants of Linux in about five minutes. So much so that Apple owners will swear screenshots of the Linux DE came from an Apple PC.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

You should try Elementary OS. One beautiful OS (on win10 now but thinking about jumping ship), it's a linux derivative, not a resource hog and did i say it's simply gorgeous? IMO beats OSX hands down, unfortunately doesn't have the hardware support of OSX but it's better in that it's not locked down like OSX.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join