It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is Microsoft giving away windows 10?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Just kind of makes me think.

Microsoft never gives away free upgrade to new platforms. Why now? (OK MAYBE as a promotional item, but not like this.)

They are even talking about giving it away to people with pirated copies of 7 and 8.

Something smells here.

I understand that it is easier to maintain only one platform, but FREE?
edit on 10-6-2015 by dismanrc because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-6-2015 by dismanrc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: dismanrc

Indeed smelly...surely they have perfected a new spying apparatus, impossible to turn off even when closing your laptop...knowing these people its capable of pirating any and all keystrokes and logging them somewhere for later use. Additionally it can evaluate your most recent vaccine schedule received and notify the local authorities of any known allergens in your childs lunchbox.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: dismanrc
Just kind of makes me think.

Microsoft never gives away free upgrade to new platforms. Why now? (OK MAYBE as a promotional item, but not like this.)

They are even talking about giving it away to people with pirated copies of 7 and 8.

Something smells here.

I understand that it is easier to maintain only one platform, but FREE?

I've had similar thoughts on this. I expect they have massive amounts of spyware installed, probably on multiple levels or tiers. I would have to decompile the entire mess to know for sure however, so at this point I am just speculating.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Agree. Nobody with a right mind would give away and allow illegal users to get a free Windows version. Stinks of alphabet agencies (GCHQ/NSA etc)

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

Indeed smelly...surely they have perfected a new spying apparatus, impossible to turn off even when closing your laptop...knowing these people its capable of pirating any and all keystrokes and logging them somewhere for later use. Additionally it can evaluate your most recent vaccine schedule received and notify the local authorities of any known allergens in your childs lunchbox.

This has been a known issue with Windows for more than a decade. In fact seventeen years ago Windows NT included a file called NSAKEY.

We've been paying a premium for keylogging and back doors this entire time - no reason to change the model over that aspect of it.

What has happened is that mobile computing is seen as the future and Microsoft was losing that war to Google ( Android ), Apple, and even Linux. Windows 10 is their big move to convince people to return to the fold. Oh and it's only free for those who qualify, who ask for the free upgrade within the first year, and they have been very sketchy about explaining how long the "free" part applies.

After "10" there will be no more numbered Windows releases. It'll just be "Windows" and, thanks to auto-update it will be the same O/S on every Windows device ( PC, phone, tablet ) running everywhere. That is also when they plan to introduce it as a subscription service rather than something you purchase.
edit on 6/10/15 by Hefficide because: Typo - cuz I type fast and don't pay attention to most of what I say anyway

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I guess they want to unify old systems on the new os, and it may seem they are giving away their product, but the number of old systems that will receive free os is nothing in comparison to all new tablets, pcs and phones that will pay for the os.

They will sell thousands for every free they give, but free sounds like good pr

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

That is also when they plan to introduce it as a subscription service rather than something you purchase.

This certainly doesn't sound like good news.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 08:36 AM
link   

As far as I'm aware it's 12 months free then you have to pay.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 08:41 AM
link   
So this is going to be one more thing to pay for like Microsoft Office, your antivirus software, etc, you pay for each year of use. Android does not charge for upgrades nor does iOs. If they do charge per year of use, does that mean if you don't pay for the yearly upgrade (if this is in their plans) that the version you are using is 'locked'? I have received my 'reservation' for Windows 10 to upgrade from Windows 7 but am very skeptical of initiating it on July 29th when it is to roll out, anybody else?

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Because everyone hates windows 8

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 08:45 AM
link   
First , the ability for the government to "spy" on computers began in the 70s. An agreement was signed by all OS/App manufacturers to leave top secret backdoors open. That is why you have so many "security updates". As the hackers locate these backdoors ,and it becomes known ,the backdoors have to be changed.

Second , remember Ball stated that they should leave a model such as Microsoft Office in place for Windows. He stated the ability to install Office on multiple computers is what made Office the "powerhouse" it was.

I look at this as a semi-good thing. Ever since the advent of Windows , Microsoft has charged a small fortune for their products and upgrades to them.Think 3 different versions of Windows 95 (or was it 98?) A B abd C. C was the only one that had USB support.So if you wanted USB and had A or B , you had to purchase another Windows full version. And now think Windows 8 and the APP Store. Good model. Now they can basically give away Windows and make more money on the apps as they can be used on tablets ,phones , etc.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

As far as I'm aware it's 12 months free then you have to pay.

No. You have 12 months to take advantage of the "free" upgrade - provided you already have a legal copy of Win 7 -8.1, non-enterprise. After that they'll support it "for the expected life of the device" - which is a slight change in wording from what they'd been saying, "the life of the device".

Windows usually has a ten year support cycle. Five years full support ( functionality and aesthetic changes included ) and then five of just security updates.

This version, by all indications, is slated to have a much shorter "life span" than previous versions.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

Yep, just more signs that Windows is falling behind with the times. I can't see how individual users would put up with a subscription service to use an OS when every other OS in the world allows you to use it forever once you own it.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   

edit on 6/10/2015 by Klassified because: Redacted. Heff covered most everything, anyway.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I could have upgraded to windows 8 for free, so they do give their stuff away when they're looking to get more people to use it.

I didn't upgrade then and I won't upgrade now. As long as Windows 7 is still a viable option, I'll use it.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: CoherentlyConfused

I'm pretty sure that Windows 7 will become the new Windows XP, where everyone just sticks to that OS despite newer options available. Especially now that processing capabilities have gotten to the point that the high user requirements for Windows 7 aren't a problem anymore unlike when it was first released as Windows Vista. Microsoft sure does prove that newer isn't always better.
edit on 10-6-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Because all the g0v agencies have a backdoor to the operating system probably (not that they even need it, but heck, why not)

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Windows 8 was supposed to be used by touch screens and pointing devices. They designed a universal UI. It's very hard to use with pointers if you ask me. I'll take windows 10.

They already collect everything and they will never stop until the whole artifice is a pile of ashes.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   

The NSA backdoor.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I've been running Win10 on a VM for a while. Just about getting used to it.
Think I'll stick with Win7 in the end though.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join