It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is Microsoft giving away windows 10?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Can't find that particular #. Could it be a different one?

There were about 30 updates on May 28...guess I'm just dumb!

Thanks anyway! It's a good test for me to have to get used to it! LOL

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: dismanrc

They might be giving away Win 10 because Win 8 is incredibly bad!!!

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: TNMockingbird

Can't find that particular #. Could it be a different one?

There were about 30 updates on May 28...guess I'm just dumb!

Thanks anyway! It's a good test for me to have to get used to it! LOL

It's not a different one. It may take a few minutes for all the updates to list. So be patient. Once they list, use the search function at the top right of the open window. Type in KB3035583. It should show up. Right-click, then left click uninstall.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

It should be noted that the notification icon ( the flag ) isn't actually doing anything bad to your computer. It's just there as hype. Mine is sitting there staring at me and I don't feel hyped... but since it's just there I am not worried about making it go away.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: ChiefD

Give OpenOffice a try. It's mostly compatible with MS Office - while it can read most MS Office files you will have to save your files into a format readable by MS Office if you want to take them to school or work. This means saving your OpenOffice documents into .doc or .docx instead of the default open-source formats. It takes a little getting used to, and you will have to pay attention to the file extensions but it saved some people I knew at college a bit of money.

If you just need it to write essays or the occasional powerpoint you could get away with using OpenOffice for sure.

Since you are already paying the subscription for MS Office, try downloading OpenOffice and checking out the compatibility yourself - it might be interesting to see what's compatible and what's not. Make sure you go into control panel - folder options and disable "Hide extensions for known file types" under the View tab. Otherwise you won't see the extensions on any of your word documents or excel spreadsheets.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Microsoft's augmented reality system will be there next big revenue puller in the computing world. Looks very promising. Windows 10 is maybe not such a big deal to them and giving it away free is a way of marketing their products.

I wouldn't be surprised if government access has been implemented into their products since the inception of the Windows OS. I will be using Windows 7 until they stop updating it. Unix like OSes, such as, Linux, CentOS, etc. are just too cumbersome for me to use on a regular basis.
edit on 10-6-2015 by eManym because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   
everything ive read seems to hint at them not using a subscription service,i think its to get as many people off the older operating systems so they only have to offer securty updates etc to one branch of windows vs xp,7,8 etc

www.pcgamer.com...

At its press event today, Microsoft announced that Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for Windows 7 and Windows 8 users during its first year of availability. There was some confusion, however, when Microsoft's Terry Myerson started talking about Windows 10 "as a service." Did that mean that after that first year of free availability, Windows 10 would cost an annual fee? I asked Myerson for clarification after the presentation, and he confirmed that there will be no additional fees attached to Windows 10, whenever you buy it. Myerson clarified that Windows 10 users will still get free updates and support for the lifetime of the OS, exactly like past versions of Windows (like XP and Windows 7's Service Packs, for example). There's no subscription model for updates or support or continuing to use the OS. Myerson's reference to Windows "as a service" simply meant that Microsoft plans to update the OS with smaller, more regular updates rather than the big, chunky updates of past Service Packs. A year after Windows 10 is first available, it will no longer be a free upgrade for Windows 7 and 8 users. Microsoft will then sell Windows 10 the same way it has sold past versions of Windows. MS hasn't set a specific price yet, but Myerson said the price will likely be comparable to past versions of Windows. Windows 8 costs $120 on Amazon, for instance.

www.forbes.com... this one hints at some of their possible motives

www.neowin.net...

www.yahoo.com...

After a year? Still free Woodman clarified for me that if you upgrade your PC to Windows 10 with the free offer, you won’t be socked with a payment demand after some arbitrary period. Windows 10 isn’t “freemium.” It won’t convert from a free upgrade to a paid or subscription-supported operating system. He told me, clearly, “Once you’re on Windows 10, you’re on Windows 10, and there will be no additional charge.”

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

My rational self knows that...

I just don't particularly like things being where they shouldn't or at least where I didn't put them...

A little manic, I realize...

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: RalagaNarHallas

That is true for Windows 10. But Windows 10 is going to be the final and last numbered version of Windows: Once that happens the model is planned ( or expected at this point ) to be subscription based, which may or may not work out that way. What is clear is that beyond Windows 10 ( at some point in it's life span ) "Windows" will replace it and enter into a rolling release format - meaning that new versions no longer come out - updates and changes are simply patched in.

Microsoft has spent a lot of time changing their architecture from an NT based model to a modular model - so that chunks of the O/S can be patched and replaced without having to reinstall or create a new version.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Thank you for your patience (something I lack!), that did the trick!

I suppose if I would have just "thought" about it some more....

Thanks again!

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Additionally, if a user has a USB floppy drive they will need to download the latest driver from the manufacturer's website or from Windows Update. DVDs will also require separate playback software, although Microsoft has not specified what it is or where to get it from.

Windows 10 Updates
So if your laptop or computer has a dvd drive, you will have to find software to run it? I know that laptops don't come with them these days, but my old Acer still is kicking. I also don't like that the media center is/will be gone

According to the Windows 10 specifications page, Windows Media Center will be removed when Windows 10 is installed on computers currently running Windows 7 or 8.1.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

Anyway, let's be honest, if they want in (ABC groups), they will get in.

Without a doubt.

What I find interesting is how we allow and utilize contractors and subcontractors that use foreign manufactures to be build sensitive electronics typically found in DOD systems.

It indicates to me that politician and Corporate Oligopolies greed has exceeded over their own well-being, OR maybe the world gov'ts are really in cohoots with each other?

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: whatnext21

I'll not mourn Media Center. I never liked the way it worked anyway - especially some OEM issues. VLC has always been the better choice IMO.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42
a reply to: Jonjonj

What I find interesting is how we allow and utilize contractors and subcontractors that use foreign manufactures to be build sensitive electronics typically found in DOD systems.

It indicates to me that politician and Corporate Oligopolies greed has exceeded over their own well-being, OR maybe the world gov'ts are really in cohoots with each other?

Finally, somebody is doing what I call "forward thinking" about what is in the works for the entire world. The best evidence is the quiet compliance by all players. Only some higher power can demand such cooperation, and the risk of non-cooperation is not even allowed. The ETs are in charge, folks, scoff at the suggestion, but the evidence is in every aspect of your life and it won't be just in the West. The West, and its supposed freedoms have the longer way to go for total compliance.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Pretty sure it is a cloud based operating system and will be pretty much pay as you go, access to certain components and pay for this and that to do something else. All software makers have a strange interest in making the cloud the only way to compute as it would give them total control over not only their products but all of your information as well....Just a supposition but I think it does have something to do with it.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Ubuntu is offering it's OS free too, so is every other version of linux, you all should try it, it's nice and clean and get this, it actually does what it is supposed too.

Windows 10 is free so they can getcha to buy the hololens so you will stay indoors and spend all your money on virtual world living.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   
It’s probably a crap system like most versions of windows, even though 7 is pretty good; the only version of windows that was great was the old 3.11 and they just passed that through quick to get to 95…

Or it’s riddled with enough spyware to sink a ship

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: dismanrc
Just kind of makes me think.

Microsoft never gives away free upgrade to new platforms. Why now? (OK MAYBE as a promotional item, but not like this.)

They are even talking about giving it away to people with pirated copies of 7 and 8.

Something smells here.

I understand that it is easier to maintain only one platform, but FREE?

Well it's not 100% true re pirate copies but hey why let that get in the way of the manifest PARANOIA many display on here.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Didn't read the whole thread so apologies if this has been mentioned already. There is of course the fragmentation they want to fix, get everybody on one OS.

But also as far as giving it away to people currently using a pirated version, they are, but they will still say they are not genuine copies...so it's not exactly giving it away.

www.pcworld.com...

The hope is that illegitimate users will “realize the value of properly licensing Windows and we will make it easy for them to move to legitimate copies,” the company said.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: dismanrc

And i hate the automatic update feature, you can not customise your update

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join