It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stop The Nonsense.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Hello.

Why do you dislike the “cop”?

It seems once a day I read a story about how an officer abuses a person or does something that breaks the law.

Why don’t I read a story where an officer saves a life or donates his / her time?
They are not all bad.

I hope you know it is as easy to discriminate against a profession as it is to discriminate against a race.

Stop the h8.

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   
To be honest, and from personal experience the Police have never done anything good for me, in fact the opposite...

But i think that since the Police are supposed to "Uphold the Law" and some do the exact opposite and don't respect a Human life, people wonder why they should respect them. who do they trust? who do they call?

and i don't think every police officer is like that, but a lot are

Here is actually a good article

www.vox.com...

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: highfromphoenix
Hello.

"It seems once a day I read a story about how an officer abuses a person or does something that breaks the law."

I think you almost completely answered yourself. We should not be seeing these stories daily, yet we do. 'Cops' are supposed to be individuals that keep the peace. There are a lot of good ones. However, they have become more militarized and less intellient. They are killing people on camera and in cold blood. They are killing children and babies in cribs. They are held to a higher standard, than say, an accountant.

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: highfromphoenix

Cops do good everyday. However 1 unjustified death is enough to mask all the good work. Plus when over 490 ppl have died at the hands of cops in this calender year alone you can't blame people for hating the cops and the system which allows no accountability. Hell your government don't even feel these deaths are statistically worthy to record, highlighting the true problems within American society.

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   
while i do agree that generalizations are always stupid, cops gets extra heat because there is an imbalance of power that is pretty obvious, they MUST be put under a higher amount of scrutiny.

As to why we don't often hear about "good cop" stories, well the answer is simple:
people love being outraged more than anything else, and bloggers, news channels etc know that.
a Good cop is just a cop doing his job.
A bad cop gives reason for outrage, it gives a chance for people to yell "i am better than that guy!"
and while that may be true, it's done not s people can prove to be better, but to generate network traffic.
it's click bait, basically

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: rossacus

Right and I feel the people who are paid to uphold the law and then abuse the law are trash.

If u r wondering I'm not a cop but my friend is an officer.

He's an awesome person who donates his free time to youth organizations. He doesn't ask or expect anything other than a little respect.

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Who watches the watchman?

They're not all bad, I have a few friends in the force. Great guys.

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   

I happen to agree with you.

And even the most extreme cop-hater here will still dial 9-1-1 if someone breaks into their home.

It's just that hating and being a "victim" has become the "in thing" for people.

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Almost every day I read on ats about another cop shooting unarmed people, shooting dogs, even sometimes shooting kids, hand cuffs and shackles on very young children, I see the elderly being thrown to the ground, I see people in custody being illegaly beaten etc etc etc....

As a uk citizen, if I were to visit the US, the cops are what I would fear the most!

In the uk our cops deal with situations rather differently, for example a dog would be chased away by squirting a fire extinguisher at it (extremely effective), a car chase is stopped by use of a stinger (it punctures the tires), tasers batons and spray are used on those who want to fight, oh I nearly forgot, they dont shoot people either!

Its time the good cops in the US maned up and started reporting the bad cops.

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Haters gonna hate.

To many on ATS, it doesn't matter what a LEO or LE agency does, it's bad. Shoot somebody, it's bad. Buy a kid a cookie, it's propaganda. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Hated either way.

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   
My Dad was a Cop for 30 years.

They did it without Tasers.

They did it without Tanks.

The Cops mostly relied on their wits.

You give someone a toy they will find a way to use it.

My Dad was respected. His Men were different. It wasn't "Us vs. Them".

The Cops rely too much on their gadgets now.

People don't like to be Tazed.

link   
a reply to: beezzer

What about those of us who have been a Victim multiple times?

who do we trust?

link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

The cops in the UK seem much more effective and efficient.

Something needs to change in the US. Things are going from bad to worse.

(I wish they would listen to the people.)

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
Haters gonna hate.

To many on ATS, it doesn't matter what a LEO or LE agency does, it's bad. Shoot somebody, it's bad. Buy a kid a cookie, it's propaganda. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Hated either way.

That is the big problem in my opinion. They're damned if they do something but if they hang back everyone asks why they didn't do more.

It's a double edged sword!

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Hello.

It seems once a day I read a story about how an officer abuses a person or does something that breaks the law.

Why don’t I read a story where an officer saves a life or donates his / her time?
They are not all bad.

I hope you know it is as easy to discriminate against a profession as it is to discriminate against a race.

Stop the h8.

It's not hate. You should learn the meaning of that term if you intend to use it correctly.

It's self defense from an existential threat to this society and our persons. People that put themselves above the law are enemies of the law. Society should purge these criminals and the culture of the "thin blue line" which makes a joke of the sworn oath.

More people have been killed by police since 9/11 than all the American KIA's in Afghanistan and Iraq.

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Darth_Prime

What about those of us who have been a Victim multiple times?

who do we trust?

You should trust the police. I am so sorry you and who ever else have been victims of the police.

I too have been "a target" of the police ( to be honest, I hate that word "victim" and refuse to use it)

There is an effort to undermine the trust of the police, and what do you think they'll replace the police with?

Basically, TSA agents with guns (if you let government take over).

There have been, will always be bad cops. People throw figures of cops shooting people, but how many of those people were attacking the cops?

Our criminal elements have gotten bolder, just look at the gang-shootings in major cities.

And we are emasculating the police.

We'll have to pick a side, eventually. Either join the side with the gangs, or join the side who supports law and order.

By the looks of things, many already have.

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   

I'm talking from personal stories where i have been nonviolent, when i gt attacked by 4 guys walking home and someone else called the police and i ended up getting taken to Jail for "Soliciting" while i sat there bleeding with a concussion, and the 4 guys got let off because they said they were "Threatened"

Or when the Police got called to my home when i was a child, and saw how i was living and being treated and did nothing

i have other stories, i've never been the aggressor...

and i'm not the only one, i don't trust that i can call the police or depend on them when i get treated with prejudice

sorry, this has taken a dark turn from the Original Intent

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: InverseLookingGlass

Hello.

They are not all bad.

Stop the h8.

It's not hate. You should learn the meaning of that term if you intend to use it correctly.

It's self defense from an existential threat to this society and our persons. People that put themselves above the law are enemies of the law. Society should purge these criminals and the culture of the "thin blue line" which makes a joke of the sworn oath.

More people have been killed by police since 9/11 than all the American KIA's in Afghanistan and Iraq.

That, and it's hate. Since, you know, the definition of hate is "an intense or passionate dislike for some one or something."

Definitions and such

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Darth_Prime

I'm truely sorry that has happened to you or to anyone else.

I'd never try to justify it.

It was wrong and those that did act inappropriately should be punished.

I guess I haven't been treated so badly that I'm willing to throw everyone in that profession under the bus.

posted on Jun, 8 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Well then you haven't looked too hard . Despite the time I spend on threads when I feel the police are wrong. I also acknowledge that police aren't wrong all the time . One reason people have a hard time understanding me on this site is because I rarely take a side. I judge each case individually then form an opinion on each issue .

there are good cops out there

top topics

<<   2 >>

join