It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There are still some good cops out there.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   
This happen within 50 miles of where I live. I debated making a threat on this article because I didn't think it would be received well. But I decided hatred is not going to stop me from posting this. While I am against the militarization of police and the excessive force they've been using lately.

I am completely relieved that there are still some officers out there that hold human life in high regard. This officer confronted a double murder suspect by himself. The suspect charge the officer in an attempt at suicide by cop. Officer kidder backpedaled away from the charging suspect telling him he didn't want to shoot him. It continued for quite some distance at one point the officer even fell but still held his fire. So thank you Officer Kiter for showing us there is still some good in the police ranks.

The following footage is from his body cam.

The body cam makes no difference in this officers reactions because he was well within his rights to shoot and would've been vindicated by the body cam.

The kicker to this ordeal was that he was supplied with the body cam by what he said was a relative. I'm not positive but I'm willing to bet that relative was his mom.

So thanks mom!!!!
edit on 22-4-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse
And that cop will sleep better at night knowing that he did the right thing.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   

It is not the uniform. It is the man.

The police is supposed to be a task force designed to protect the people, to protect human life. I am glad to see that many still understand that.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Of course there are. It still amazes me that people think otherwise.

If they were all like the ones we see in all too many Youtube videos, we'd all be in jail, or tased, or dead...

Good on that police officer. He's to be complimented, and commended for his restraint.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: swanne

One thing that blew my mind was this officer was a marine that served in both Iraq and Afghanistan.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse

One thing that blew my mind was this officer was a marine that served in both Iraq and Afghanistan.

It may be the fact that he has been in or seen more dangerous situations that helped him make the decisions that he did in this one.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   
People want to see these good cops cross that blue line and take care of the bad ones.

It is nice to see that a cop can in fact deal with an unarmed man running at him with out shooting him.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   

I believe this man has true courage. I also believe he will be run out of the department for doing what he did.

Good cops.... not cops for long.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

Of course there are. It still amazes me that people think otherwise.

If they were all like the ones we see in all too many Youtube videos, we'd all be in jail, or tased, or dead...

Good on that police officer. He's to be complimented, and commended for his restraint.

I believe there are a lot more good cops then there are bad cops. But it's just that the bad cops make them look so very very bad.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse

That's it right there. He probably faced more dangerous threats in Iraq and Afghanistan and knew that he didn't have to shoot to eliminate this threat.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   

It only takes one. That's true enough.

I just wish more would realize that...

In my own person, I've had many more good interactions than bad. I've had bad, and he paid for it with his job. The rest? Mostly people doin' their jobs, maybe they could have been a tad more professional at times, but most of the time, total professionals.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   

s&f

Score one for the good guys!

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
People want to see these good cops cross that blue line and take care of the bad ones.

It is nice to see that a cop can in fact deal with an unarmed man running at him with out shooting him.

Who supports them when they cross that line? Do people protest when a police department gets rid of a good cop? Does the justice system or union protect them when they cross that blue line?

Believe it or not the movie "Serpico" was based on a true story, and even though it is ancient history as far as movies goes it still goes on today.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I'm always shocked by what I see happen between your cops and the people!
And I hope people are right when they say "There's more good cops than bad"
but!!!
For every video of a bad cop being bad, there's probably hundreds of other incidents that didn't get filmed!

I'm in the uk and at the moment the vast majority of cops dont have guns. They've got spray and tasers but hardly ever use them. In the uk you've got to be a real idiot before they get nasty.

MESSAGE TO BRITISH COPS.
You guys are great! Please dont turn into american cops!

link   

It is a simple fact that the majority of police and even special agent's are actually good people, they want to catch the bad guy's but it is equally a fact that when you are part of the fraternity it can all go wrong as a group mentality take's over and good intention's are often buried or lost.

There are and always will be bad people as well who seek out these job's, stress and the apathy that can seize any human mind may also effect the way an officer performs there duty's and remember also they are in the front line so are constantly exposed to the very worst that human nature can offer up with these experience's either causing trauma, shock or even total personality alteration over time as well as making these people lose there perspective in many cases.

It is a stressful and often dishumanising career choice and no one can dispute that but there are just too many cases that are heilighted in which corruption seem's to have gotten the upper hand or else an officer has acted in a way they were never trained to do.

That bring's up training, many modern police forces in the west are being trained as paramilitary, in part this is to combat a very real upsurge in dangerous extremism but in other cases it is uncalled for and is totally inappropriate training for a civilian law enforcement officer who is meant to be there to reasure all innocent regardless of where they stand on the wealth scale and to worry all criminal's, likewise regardless of were they stand on the wealth scale.

link   
a reply to: InverseLookingGlass

This was pretty big local news. The chief of police and fellow officers all stood behind his action. The suspects mother even thanked the officer for not shooting.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   

The body cam makes no difference in this officers reactions because he was well within his rights to shoot and would've been vindicated by the body cam.

Within his right to shoot? If the suspect didn't appear armed and was rushing the cop, a Taser would have been the safest bet. With that said, putting your hands into your pockets is probably the worse thing he could have done and I'm surprised the officer showed restraint. That guy's luck was running out fast.

edit on 22-4-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

If I remember correctly, the officer noticed that there was no weight in the guys pocket like there would of been with a gun.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   
This is good. Thanks for this post. I want to believe there are more good police than bad. Would be good if MSM would report good police as well.

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis

Within his right to shoot? If the suspect didn't appear armed and was rushing the cop, a Taser would have been the safest bet. With that said, putting your hands into your pockets is probably the worse thing he could have done and I'm surprised the officer showed restraint. That guy's luck was running out fast.

He was well within his rights to shoot at a double murder suspect (The murders happened the same day) that led police on a high-speed chase then started charging . Yeah I would have to say well within his rights.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join