It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Charles Kennedy, former Lib Dem leader found dead , aged 55

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Yikes

Sad thing is I saw this comeing. When I saw he lost his seat I knew he would hit the drink.

He was obviously a troubled man and loseing his career that he put his life in was too much.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 06:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
Alcohol killed my father, he knew it, we knew it, but we all got hammered on the £1000 he'd arranged behind the bar at his wake.
I'd have loved to have got drunk with Charles Kennedy, I bet he was a right laugh out of the camera's eye, he seemed a decent honest bloke, so yes even if alcohol killed him I'll raise a glass for him later tonight.

...I have actually attended a dance party back in the 90's which was in memory of someone who died after taking Ecstacy/MDMA, the siblings of the deceased were there off their heads like everyone else.
What may seem disrespectful to some is a tribute to others. Different perspectives and all that.

My kindest thoughts to the Kennedy family at this time though, I hope the media gives them space at this sad time of their personal loss.

Ah a fellow member of the 90's in UK - off topic, although I never lost a mate from Ecstacy I remember my best mate took half of one one afternoon, we were sat in a mates conservatory and said friend was sat by the window (in winter) with his head steaming like a chimney, i recon if it werent winter and cold and he took the full pill he would be brown bread.

Despite that, in the following summer in Magaluf, he took E's every night (and lived) and because I thought he nearly died it scared me off pills.

So whilst they were high I was drinking loads and waking up # so drinking more, I ended up having to drink half a bottle of tequila to stop shaking every day because instead of pills I drank heaps. I had to drink to stop the shakes so I could put my contact lenses in.

Wait its going somewhere!!!!

Anyway, I am probably an alcoholic, lets call it functioning, I dont wake up craving a drink but I cant wait for a cold beer and then 7 more to drink at the end of a day.

On that holiday, at the time I didnt realise but I was having wierd thoughts about throwing myself of the balcony which went after the 1/2 bottle of tequila, that was the point I came home and was diagnosed depressed and have been on anti depressants ever since and still contemplate suicide (not in a way that i think about doing it, the old brain just does the what if...)

Last year another mate hung himself.

So what is the point in this waffle, well as someone who functions in the alcoholic realm, has some really low points (probably caused by alcohol but saved by anti depressants) to be that low that you can do what my mate did and not ask for help, I really feel for them suffering that torment and that space they were at when it made sense to end it.
(I am assuming he topped himself). It must be truly dark.

So as far as stumason, I disagree with you on this, but that is the point of a forum and it would be boring if we all got on.

To Charles Kennedy, as if you are reading an ATS forum wherever you are! Yeah, although I hate the term Liberal Democrat (i read fence sitting wannabe) I actually didnt mind you, and that is a complement for a politician!

Even though I am an athiest, you might not be so I do hope you are at peace wherever you are.

Sad sh1t, more money to mens depression research please politicians.

(I am jumping to heaps assumptions here, was he a depressed alcohlic who killed himself or did I just make that up - flame me stumason, I am a depressed alcoholic)

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 07:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Forensick

was he a depressed alcohlic who killed himself or did I just make that up

That's the impression I got listening to Lembit Öpik on radio 5 live this morning.
Charles Kennedy had lost much over the last few years I think loosing his seat shortly after loosing his father may have been the final straw.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 07:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Britguy
R.I.P Charles!
He was probably one of the very few politicians I'd ever have supported. Principled, ethical, moral and a good sense of humour, never taking himself too seriously.
I always attributed his fall from the party leadership as having more to do with establishment pressure than any drinking issues. He wasn't one of the yes men drones selected, groomed and controlled by them so had to go.

A proper Gentleman and would have been a great leader for the UK.

Agree.

Jane

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I saw the thread title & have to say I'm shocked & saddened by this news.
I always liked Charles Kennedy for some reason. I never really paid much attention to the why of that.
I fully expect this to be a drunken suicide.
As a recovering alcoholic, I was quietly hoping he would deal successfully with his alcohol issue after he admitted it; too many never do.

As a recovering alcoholic, I'm disappointed with some of the things I have read in this thread.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: stumason

I'm going to jump in here in your defense Stu, as I totally get where you are coming from.

I can think of a few friends who are alcoholics, one departed, two not far off and one who only drinks coffee.

One of them has been diagnosed with liver disease, yet he still drinks his Barnstormer cider, and the circle of friends think it's "cool" to offer him every drink under the sun despite knowing his condition, and that angers me.

The one who only drinks coffee still comes out on special occasions, and people try to force drink upon him (which also angers me), but he always says no...one drop and he will be back on it, ten years sober, he has done well.

I've seen the hurt it causes family and friends to see them drunk, some of the states they get into isn't funny at all.

So yeah, raising a glass to someone who has died from alcohol complications is pretty low....although I'm sure no ill intent was meant by any of the posters.

As for Kennedy, RIP marra, you were one of the few good ones.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Wow, that's a shocker and very sad. Haven't watched the news yet, so this is new to me.

I know it's a bit previous but it looks like suicide at the moment.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: woogleuk

Quite - I wasn't trying to paint a picture of "ill intent", but just a lack of thought, much like those who insist on trying to buy Gazzer a pint because it would be "cool" to have one with him, being a "legend" in that regard and it drives his family to desperation when they're trying to keep him sober.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   

You know this thread isn't about you right?

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: DPrice

Every thread is about me, even those that aren't, are. Didn't you know that? ATS stands for All Talk about Stu.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: DPrice

Yeah, c'mon man, the guy was just explaining himself.
This is a mostly UK based thread so I'm sure we're civilised enough to allow that, and move on?
Like being in the pub really, don't always agree, but we all know when it turns into giving someone a hard time and there is no need for it.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: DPrice

You know this thread isn't about you right?

pft of course this thread is not about stu.

Its quite obviously about me and grainofsand.

tut tut.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Hahaha! I'm staying safe here, I got in trouble in another thread daring to suggest that US firefighters break car windows out of spite not operational need, so I'm being a good boy at the moment.
This thread is about the man Charles Kennedy, who even if you disagreed with some of his policy ideas, he was a definite human being representing the people of his community.
Sad he died so young, sad that he had battles in his personal life, but don't we all, and I wonder would he just have been one of the career clone politicians if he hadn't.

...my kindest thoughts to the Kennedy family tonight x

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 08:45 AM
link   
The family of Charles Kennedy have released a statement following his post-mortem examination , in it they say he death was caused by a major haemorrhage linked to alcoholism.

In their statement the family said the post-mortem report "makes clear his (death) was a consequence of his battle with alcoholism.
"We are grateful to the many friends and also medical experts who sought to help down the years but ultimately this was an illness Charles could not conquer despite all the efforts he and others made."
The family said they had been "touched beyond measure by the outpouring of warmth" from all parts of the country and all sides of politics following Mr Kennedy's death.
"The pain we feel has been at least eased somewhat by the reaction of so many people across Scotland, the UK and beyond, and by the affection expressed by politicians across the spectrum.
"It has become all too apparent to us how much Charles meant to so many people and how many lives he touched."
www.bbc.co.uk...

I think it's some comfort to his family , friends and supporters that his passing was due to "natural" causes rather than the other option.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join