It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Charles Kennedy, former Lib Dem leader found dead , aged 55

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 02:54 AM
link   
In a shock turn of events it has been announced that Charles Kennedy has been found dead at his home in Fort William , Scotland.
No cause of death has been revealed by the police but in a statement they said it was not suspicious.

Mr Kennedy lost his seat in the recent election after being an MP for 32 years and lost his father at the beginning of the election campaign , its thought that along with his continuing battle with alcohol may be behind the sudden turn of events.

Mr Kennedy's family said in a statement: "It is with great sadness, and an enormous sense of shock, that we announce the death of Charles Kennedy.
"We are obviously devastated at the loss. Charles was a fine man, a talented politician, and a loving father to his young son."
A Police Scotland spokesman said: "Police officers attended an address at Fort William on Monday, June 1 to reports of the sudden death of a 55-year-old man. Police were notified by ambulance service personnel. There are no suspicious circumstances."
www.bbc.co.uk...

Sad news.
RiP Mr Kennedy.

edit on 2-6-2015 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 03:16 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Just seen this on the news too.

RIP.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 03:27 AM
link   
wow!

Really!

Very sad, always thought he was one of the good ones, well at least the best of a very bad bunch.

RIP

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Here's to a proper lad, a bloke who could share a pint with a common man, and drink it as if he meant it.

I vote we all raise a glass to send him off today.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 03:42 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Exactly , Charles Kennedy was in my view a rare breed amongst politicians in that he seemed to be a real person who had a real sense of humour , I was of the opinion that he was one of those who were in it for the right reasons rather than self gain.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Always sad when someone dies at such a relatively young age - not that much older than me.

I think Charles Kennedy was well intentioned and genuinely had the best interests of his constituents at heart, something that can't be said about the vast majority of politicians.
I may be wrong but I think the realities and double dealing of parliamentary politics weighed heavy on him.

A sad loss.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 03:53 AM
link   

yup if i recall he was one of the few who was very vocal about his opposition to the Iraq war, always had my respect for that.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 04:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Here's to a proper lad, a bloke who could share a pint with a common man, and drink it as if he meant it.

In bad taste, surely? He was a recovering alcoholic, so no, not really someone you could "have a pint with" and no, I don't think we should "raise a glass" as that is probably what killed him.

You wouldn't salute someone who got hit by a bus by having the local Bus line honk their horns at the funeral..

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 04:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

I vote for this as his Eulogy.

Odds for alcohol related complications anyone?

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 04:24 AM
link   
a reply to: stumason

In bad taste, surely?

Not really.
I had a friend with alcohol problems who ended up killing himself , at his wake we had a table set in the pub where people could buy and leave him a Guinness , his favorite tiple.

I think Mr Kennedy would understand and appreciate the sentiment.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Same here - when someone who loved booze dies from booze - the funeral is generally full of people who love booze saluting the booze lover, with booze.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Someone very close to me is an alcoholic and I would be deeply offended if, at her funeral (god forbid), someone set up a table with bottles of vodka in her "memory". Chances are, I'd physically remove them if not lamp them.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 04:33 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

Let's flip this around - would you condone someone who died of a drugs problem being "saluted" with a drugs binge? Same thing, different poison.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 04:36 AM
link   

It's a culture. Boozing is part of a culture you enjoy with other people. Those of us who do it too much know it's terribly bad but it's a connection between comrades which possibly hides a feeling of failure to abstain.

All situations are different and your friend doesn't sound like a comrade drunk... more of a troubled soul.

Would I have a drugs binge if someone overdosed? No, because it is not acceptable by the majority of society.

If this offends you please leave. I think it's obvious how much time you spend at the pub with friends.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 04:40 AM
link   

I can understand what you mean but I think you are going a bit overboard getting pissed at the "Raise a glass to him" thing. I don't think the member realised that Kennedy was a recovering alcoholic and was just trying to show his respects, I have raised many a glass to a fallen friend over the years as a mark of respect.

I doubt any disrespect was meant, and I think you know that so you could really have let that one go.

Now thanks really to you making such a big deal about what is really quite a innocent comment we are already digging up Kennedy's past drinking problems. I would say that is more disrespectful, we should be talking about his accomplishments and his career, not starting a discussion about his alcoholism
edit on 2-6-2015 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 04:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: and14263

It's a culture. Boozing is part of a culture you enjoy with other people. Those of us who do it too much know it's terribly bad but it's a connection between comrades which possibly hides a feeling of failure to abstain.

All situations are different and your friend doesn't sound like a comrade drunk... more of a troubled soul.

All alcoholics (and anyone with a substance dependency) is a "troubled soul". No one is an alcoholic because they enjoy it.

Likewise, going down the pub with your mates and enjoying a some beers with "comrades" does not make you an alcoholic. Someone who cannot even start the day without a drink is an alcoholic.

Would I have a drugs binge if someone overdosed? No, because it is not acceptable by the majority of society.

Neither is getting totally crapfaced or, indeed, being an alcoholic.

If this offends you please leave. I think it's obvious how much time you spend at the pub with friends.

What? Going to the "pub with friends" is a world apart from being an alcoholic - the fact you seem to conflate the two shows you don't truly understand what it is you're chatting about. I enjoy "going to the pub with friends", although I never drink to excess, yet because of my "friends" problem, going to the pub is now much harder than it used to be to the point where we do not bother.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Fair enough. We'll agree to disagree, Champ.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 04:47 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Indeed, as have I "raised a glass" at many a wake, but to do so in honour of an alcoholic is just crass.

I'm sorry, but this sort of thing is close to the bone for me, so I'm not going to let "one go".

He was a good chap, Mr Kennedy, which is why I felt the need to address the post. I felt it didn't honour him as the man he was and instead just serves as an awful reminder of what not only brought him down, but what affects a great many people up and down the country only made worse by a piss poor understanding of Alcoholism.

Did you know people will go up to Gazza and offer to buy him a drink, because they think he's one to "have a laugh with" in the pub and someone to "have a drink with", but it only makes the problem worse and belittles the struggle that hundreds of thousands with deal with every day in this country.
edit on 2/6/15 by stumason because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Probably the last Lib Dem with principles.
Flawed, certainly, but who aint?

RIP Charles, a rare politician who was honest.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 04:48 AM
link   

.....would you condone someone who died of a drugs problem being "saluted" with a drugs binge?

I've seen it happen.

I've been unfortunate enough to see more than just a few friends / colleagues etc die from drink / drugs - I've always raised a glass in memory and gave them a good send off.

If their direct family ever expressed their desire to give them a 'dry' send off then I would of course respect their wishes.

And to be honest, this all detracts from the OP - Charles Kennedy seems to have been a well regarded and respected person who has died too young.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join