It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We are more than just a body

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on May, 29 2015 @ 11:08 PM
link   
When you think of something, say a red balloon, where is that red balloon located? In the brain? If a doctor decides to dissect your brain to try and find this red balloon that you told him was in your brain, will he find a tiny red balloon inside of your gray matter? If not, then where is that balloon at? How can you "see" it if not with your eyes? If it is not in your brain then it must be "somewhere" right? Otherwise you would not see it.

How does that image pop up and where are you seeing it at/from? Can you hold that balloon you're thinking of in your hand? Do you see it with your eyes? If not, then it cannot be physical, yet it is still a part of your being. How can something immaterial be present within a strictly material body? If we are only a physical body then we would only be able to see physical things with our physical eyes, yet we can imagine anything within our minds, from a teacup floating somewhere out there in our solar system to lost loved ones. How does a strictly material existence account for such immaterial things like intellect, imagination, emotions, memory, dreams, etc.?

We are more than a body, we are also a soul and Spirit. The invisible qualities we possess such as the ones I listed above are aspects of an invisible side that we never see, our bodies tap into it but we can never see it.

In it, all things are possible, and because of it we have had the advances in technology, art, science, etc. we see today. Without the invisible side of existence, we would be nothing more than husks, bodies with no life within them. When the soul/Spirit leaves the body death is the result, when the soul/Spirit enters the body birth is the result. Without that invisible aspect, there is no experience, just as a lifeless rock has no experience.

Those who believe we are only a body, what do you see these things as? What are thoughts, dreams, emotions, etc.? Yes, they have physical processes that lead to their emergence, but the effect is not the same as the cause. What are these invisible effects that stem from physical processes in your opinion?

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 11:17 PM
link   
The problem is for those that cannot experience anything other than the physical realm, there seems no way to make them understand, or attempt certain physical actions to get to the physical OHM vibrational transition.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 11:42 PM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

Well, they experience things outside of the physical realm, they just don't realize those experiences for what they truly are. They're so enamored by their reflection (body) that they fail to "see" the one that is seeing it.

The myth of Narcissus is a good example of materialism in my opinion. Materialists are so focused on the perishable (material/reflection) world that they fail to realize the imperishable (immaterial/source) world within them, thus they commit "suicide" by only seeing the perishable.
edit on 5/29/2015 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 11:50 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Indeed that is sad, but is salvation of others' souls our concern?

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Good luck getting through to hard-line materialists who prefer to bask in closed-mindedness. They await scientifically valid "evidence" to explain the existence of non-physical phenomena that will never come.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 12:14 AM
link   
We are one. I'd like to say more, but that is as simple as it gets. The egg story convinced me.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 12:16 AM
link   
For some reason it's not letting me star posts.

originally posted by: InTheLight

Indeed that is sad, but is salvation of others' souls our concern?

I don't think it's necessarily our concern because all receive salvation anyways, it's inescapable, but nudging them in the right direction can't hurt I don't think.

originally posted by: Dark Ghost
Good luck getting through to hard-line materialists who prefer to bask in closed-mindedness. They await scientifically valid "evidence" to explain the existence of non-physical phenomena that will never come.

I agree, science only deals with the observable, the observer can only see what is observed, not the source of the observation.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 12:18 AM
link   
a reply to: southernplayalistic

I agree, we are all the same "thing" observing itself from infinite perspectives.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 12:23 AM
link   
The year is 1200 AD.

Two men are standing side by side -- one man has an epileptic fit. He's writhing on the ground and foaming at the mouth. The other man, terrified, kills him - because he saw his friend was possessed by the devil.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The human definition and creation of the ideas of soul and spirit are simply manifestations of ignorance.

We just do not know how the brain works, with regards to "imagination". But science will eventually explain this given enough time.
edit on 30-5-2015 by socketdude because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 12:23 AM
link   

I only imagined a red ballon because I have experienced a red ballon before. Someone who has never seen a red ballon before can't make that image.

I can imagine unicorns riding on rainbows
because I have seen it illustrated for me. I can imagine snakes on stones because I have experienced it. My intellect based on experience tells me which one is real or more probable.

I know we are more than just body. But our souls are impacted by what our bodies experience. Our mind interprets back and forth between the two. Like the water cycle it's one and the same. Body, Mind, Spirit.

The question is can your soul experience something outside the body that is only partly understood in the mind, because the body has not yet experienced it. The mind is missing the physical experience, sight, smell sound, etc.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 12:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Observationalist

What about artists who create pictures of never before seen creatures? They imagined something never seen before and turned it into a painting or picture. It works both ways in my opinion.

I don't disagree with you btw, our imaginations are influenced by physical experiences for sure, but the opposite is equally as true.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 01:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Observationalist

I only imagined a red ballon because I have experienced a red ballon before. Someone who has never seen a red ballon before can't make that image.

I can imagine unicorns riding on rainbows
because I have seen it illustrated for me. I can imagine snakes on stones because I have experienced it. My intellect based on experience tells me which one is real or more probable.

I know we are more than just body. But our souls are impacted by what our bodies experience. Our mind interprets back and forth between the two. Like the water cycle it's one and the same. Body, Mind, Spirit.

The question is can your soul experience something outside the body that is only partly understood in the mind, because the body has not yet experienced it. The mind is missing the physical experience, sight, smell sound, etc.

The question you must ask is who made the first red balloon? Saw the first unicorn riding a rainbow? Can you imagine the sun, exploding into the vast space? If yes, where did you see it?

The human mind can imagine things beyond words, beyond pictures sound and fantasy - Basically, anything impossible and BEYOND!

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Artists are very much more in tune with their soul. They can manifest something that is experienced in the soul through their creative process. They create an impression of that experience. Art is an underrated form of communication. Writers search for analogies and allusion to relate to that soul experience. Musicians mine their soul for a melody, to communicate that intangible yet so real experience, and they always come up short. That is not satisfactory for a person of logic.

I think we are all built a bit different some favor the artistic impression side, others strict logic. I was told that when you find yourself lacking In one area, it doesn't help to ignore it, rather spend more time trying to work on the things that are hard for you not just what comes easy. Art comes easy for me, spirit make sense, You know my faith. But I feel I could improve in the logic side of things. One of the reason I stick around here.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Yes, we have a soul, because we are self-aware. The question is - WHEN do we become self-aware (new-born babies clearly are not) and what happens at that specific moment?

My thinking is that human bodies are ONLY bodies at the moment of birth, because we still need to grow the necessary requirements for a soul to attach to our bodies. The brain and all billions of neurons needs to grow and adjust to this world in a physical manner that takes 2-4 years to actually accomplish. Then, in a second of a flash, where nothing becomes everything, the level of perception in the young bodies mind is acutely enough to get to know, that "it" exists.

Unfortunately, I'm not a poet, but that specific moment must be one of the single most important achievements to ever exists in the realm of the Universe! And it happens on earth, hundred thousand times every day!

Or what do you guys think?

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 01:43 AM
link   
we are just a body with a great mind!

originally posted by: InTheLight
The problem is for those that cannot experience anything other than the physical realm, there seems no way to make them understand, or attempt certain physical actions to get to the physical OHM vibrational transition.

Imo everything is in the physical realm, we just don't know how to solve some remaining mysteries yet through science!

So all these religious or metaphysical, superstitious and supernatural thoughts come in our curious human minds, in order to give an answer for all our insecurities and inner fears we have, in this great experience we call life

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 01:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: mryang
Yes, we have a soul, because we are self-aware.

Does a self aware computer software have a soul?
And if it does, who is it's god?
Since it will be a soul like all others, will it go to heaven if it's a nice program?

www.epics-project.eu...

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 02:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dr1Akula

originally posted by: mryang
Yes, we have a soul, because we are self-aware.

Does a self aware computer software have a soul?
And if it does, who is it's god?
Since it will be a soul like all others, will it go to heaven if it's a nice program?

www.epics-project.eu...

Everything that is self-aware has a soul. God must be specified - what do you mean?
edit on 2015-5-30 by mryang because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 02:27 AM
link   
a reply to: mryang
All I mean is if God is the creator and father of all souls, then how can a created soul (human) can be the creator of another soul (Artificial Intelligence)?

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 05:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dark Ghost

And ignore the quantum physics that have been observed the last 100 years. You cannot today really be materialist and at the same time believe in the Quantum Physics. In entanglement energy "can be"/"and at the same time not be" at 2 different places in 3D+1T pendling between not existing and existing decide where to be (quantum tunneling/teleportation).

A scientist who follow observation.

Richard Dawkins a person calling himself a scientist but is a religious materialist who do not follow the last 100 years of observation.
edit on 30-5-2015 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 05:19 AM
link   
This is a deep concept, when it comes to an object such a balloon, there is the aspect that it requires an observer in order to exist in the mind of factual reality, however, one could use their mind to hallucinate an object, the difference between the hallucinatory object and the "real" object is that the "real" object is subject to the laws of reality. If we could alter or warp the rules of reality, then the gap between the observed phenomenon and the observer himself, narrows.

The inability to control reality is what creates a barrier between the two parties.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join