It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My generation didn't do the green thing.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   
It's true. I was brought up in a small town that still did much of what's said there in regards to bottling, bags, kitchen chores, etc.

Make cars and trucks similar to how they did then...metal and with a little plastic as one can. So much disposable stuff these days....

Not saying make them exactly as they were (vehicles) - but a page can be taken from them, most certainly.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Leonidas

Not to mention, everyone has seen the pictures of the air quality in Beijing or heard the horror stories of what the water in the rivers on India is like ... well, those were the battles the previous green generations in the US fought. Those were our skies and rivers. Those are things our generations never grew up with thanks to our elders who fought those battles on our behalf.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Those are things our generations never grew up with thanks to our elders who fought those battles on our behalf.

The clean up of the River Thames

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   
As a young person, I think it's safe to say that we don't need to save the earth. The "green thing" its all hype. Earth doesn't need saving, we do.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 07:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
It's a nice little attempt at a guilt trip, but the older generations do have to remember something -- they let the times change first, not us. We were born into it. They had the original eco-friendly ways, then tossed them to the wayside for conveniences. Convenience foods, convenience products, cheap goods that break fast, etc. This whole mess of throw-away consumerism is, to be blunt & utterly honest, the fault of a previous generation, not the teens/20-somethings/30-soemthings trying to undo all this crapping where we eat.

If you like the way it used to be when you were young, make it happen again. Don't snub the kids trying to do exactly what you used to have, help them achieve it. Or is the "older & wiser" idiom bunk?

They also were the ones who went down the road of abject environmental destruction WAY WAY WAY Before us. Factually, the industrial revolution was already destroying the environment in multiple countries as of the late 1800's, most notably the original industrial centers of Western Europe. There are entire studies on it.

Not only that, it most surely was not my generation who started the fossil fuel addiction.

It is important for people to realize that it was my parents generation, born in the 50's, that had far bigger engines for their cars, with far lower gas mileage, etc. Their cars also didn't last as many miles as newer cars. Talk about "throw away culture."

Hence, without any doubt the PATTERN of over-consumption, unsustainable production, throw away, and exploitation of the environment has been happening for over 200 years. It is just that it took until the 60s/70's to begin catching up with us fully and at a global level.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 07:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: 8fl0z
As a young person, I think it's safe to say that we don't need to save the earth. The "green thing" its all hype. Earth doesn't need saving, we do.

Hmm, that is your opinion. Yes, the Earth shall probably survive most things we could do, excepting maybe some insane nuclear war.

However, I really press you to base your opinions on the scientific data and studies (ecology, biology, environmental science, agriculture, climatology, etc) rather than what you want to be true.

The "green thing" is supported beyond any reasonable doubt by virtually all sciences now. To ignore it is not just irresponsible, it is reprehensible.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

originally posted by: mahatche
I don't care for the rant shared in the OP. Most of it is the result of having no other choice. It's not like having no electricity or the technology that came with it was a conscious decision. I do agree that things were built to last in the past, but it was also the older generations who developed planned obsolescence. It was the older generation who raised entitled children. This is the society you designed.

So, where is the responsbility for self-correction in the upcoming/newest generations? Where is the desire for change and the gumption to get up and make those changes for not only the young, but for all?

the current generation is extremely entitled in all things, depending on how that entitlement develops they could feel the world owes them and do nothing for it, or they could cry their way toward major changes.

For the most part I think they are to distracted for the most part, but it's not something they designed. If people of the goldend ays had less distractions and still left a mess, i don't know what to expect from this batch.

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

I don't care for the rant shared in the OP. Most of it is the result of having no other choice. It's not like having no electricity or the technology that came with it was a conscious decision. I do agree that things were built to last in the past, but it was also the older generations who developed planned obsolescence. It was the older generation who raised entitled children. This is the society you designed.

So, where is the responsbility for self-correction in the upcoming/newest generations? Where is the desire for change and the gumption to get up and make those changes for not only the young, but for all?

the current generation is extremely entitled in all things, depending on how that entitlement develops they could feel the world owes them and do nothing for it, or they could cry their way toward major changes.

For the most part I think they are to distracted for the most part, but it's not something they designed. If people of the goldend ays had less distractions and still left a mess, i don't know what to expect from this batch.

One has only to look at the trash left behind at an Earth Day celebration.

Mass consumerism, and careless regard for where it ends up.

Liberals, especially young ones tend to be the exact opposite of what they preach. IMO

You just can't rush wisdom I guess, sadly it just takes time.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Infinitis

Our generation GAVE YOU LIFE!!! So show respect to those who did not abort you, didn't prevent YOUR birth. We knew what toiling and work was; what respect was; and we didn't blame the older generation for our own misguided, self-absorbed, gimme-gimme-gimme, entitled mentality.

"... before the older generation destroyed it ?"

Puhleeeze!

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 01:03 AM
link   
BBoomers eschewed the cattle industry over more sustainable and ethical models. This one item alone did more damage to the ecosystem than all those others combined.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

You need to realize that your generation is also at fault quit blaming everyone else

Was that statement meant for me or for the person from the story?

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Why don't we all unite to clean up this mess and call ourselves "Bloomers"?

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 09:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Infinitis
a reply to: Greathouse

You need to realize that your generation is also at fault quit blaming everyone else

Was that statement meant for me or for the person from the story?

Not really sure I don't feel like looking back at the thread. But I think it might've been my wording of the statement. I should've use the word "people" at the beginning instead of "you" my apologies .

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join