It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My generation didn't do the green thing.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Well the older generation seemed to get rid of "acid rain" that was killing our lakes in North America, they put in stricter protocols, and when is the last time you heard about acid rain? I remember it was one of the biggest environmental issues in the 80's. There were documentary's showing "dead" lakes, today those lakes have healed themselves.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 08:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: gentledissident

It's going to take something cleverer than old folks' homes to solve the ancient problem of few enslaving many. Trashing the planet seems to be a byproduct of this greed; whatever it takes.
Quit blaming "them."

That about sums it up.

Interesting thread especially the responses.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: corvuscorrax
Moral of the thread. Humans just suck.

Regardless of when you were born.

True, and the continuing mentality seems to be economics first, environment last (or not at all).

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

continuing mentality seems to be economics first, environment last (or not at all).

Heartbreaking, isn't it? Our beautiful living planet, and most of us don't give it's care and nurturing a second thought.

No matter what age group we belong to, we should focus on changing our nonchalant attitudes towards our wonderful home. But you are absolutely right. We are ever finding new ways to rape and kill it. It's hurtful to see it happen.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 08:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting

continuing mentality seems to be economics first, environment last (or not at all).

Heartbreaking, isn't it? Our beautiful living planet, and most of us don't give it's care and nurturing a second thought.

No matter what age group we belong to, we should focus on changing our nonchalant attitudes towards our wonderful home. But you are absolutely right. We are ever finding new ways to rape and kill it. It's hurtful to see it happen.

Yes, it is heartbreaking, but I know I do what I can, within my limited freedom to do so, to plant a tree, or not use harsh cleaning chemicals, or pull weeds by hand, or repeatedly ask my mother, for over twenty years, to stop pouring harsh chemicals down the drain and switch to cleaning with vinegar. Well, within the last year she finally listened and only uses vinegar for cleaning now.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: mc_squared

And if you know that, then why are still participating in it?

Where is your sense of personal responsibility?

Stop blaming everyone else for what a few simple steps can take you back to. Stop blaming everyone else for your consumerism. No one takes those dollars our of your pocket but yourself.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: mc_squared

Actually, I'm reading your posts and I see plenty of you blaming us for all of it, even for your own generations' issues. Of you blame the favorite alternate boogeyman - the evil conservatives.

As an "evil" conservative who was raised with the old mindset that you don't use up or buy new unless you have to ... it's offensive.

You don't know half of what you think you do and yet here you are lecturing as though you have all the answers. It's not as simple as old/new, left/right, but it makes you feel good because I notice you aren't taking one single jot of the responsibility on your own shoulders.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   

ITL, yes, me too. I try in the small ways I can, but it seems so insignificant at times. Now they are even destroying our oceans, and our marine life. There seems to be no end to the insults the greedy hoist upon our planet. And the sad part is....it won't stop. It will never stop. They will never stop, and we seem unwilling to demand that they do.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Oh, I spent MANY a day sorting and packaging used pop bottles working at Big Bear grocery stores here in Ohio.

When I was young, we used to "hunt" pop bottles to turn in for the refund. Doing a civil service by cleaning up the city in the process. We ALL did it.

Nobody cares anymore. Those plastic bottles are just too convenient. Just throw it away, and you never have to think of it again. Ah...progress...eh, Progressives?

Yeah, I love how the greenies spread it around that the previous generations didn't recycle. And now it's somehow better?

I honestly miss the simpler times. I'd give up my cell phone, my computer, and everything else to have the world be like that again.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   

ITL, yes, me too. I try in the small ways I can, but it seems so insignificant at times. Now they are even destroying our oceans, and our marine life. There seems to be no end to the insults the greedy hoist upon our planet. And the sad part is....it won't stop. It will never stop. They will never stop, and we seem unwilling to demand that they do.

It seems the leaders don't want to insult/step on other leaders' toes, so events like Fukushima are curiously swept under the rug (out of sight, out of mind?). We need a new organization dealing directly with environmental responsibility, but it will never happen when war/acquisition of resources (due to economic survival?) is at the top of the list for so many nations.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: poncho1982

Yes, we have a local dairy that gives bottle deposit for that glass bottles. There is something nice about handing those bottles back in after a few weeks and getting your deposit back. It's nicer than simply throwing the plastic jugs.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I understand the economy is important, but when washer and dryers, computer monitors, air conditioners, and such become near disposables, with simultaneously rising costs, isn't it time for us to stand up on our hind legs and say "ENOUGH".

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

You can also learn how to fix or repair.

There are a lot of things in a washer or dryer that you can repair or replace yourself with a little elbow grease and research. You can keep some things going for a long time that way when other people would have thrown them out for a new one a long time before.

Cars are similar. You may not have the easy time repairing them yourself, but if you pay attention to their maintenance needs, you can keep a car most people would have sold off long ago driving in good repair for a long time.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Already posted.

In 2011.

www.abovetopsecret.com...&mem=

This place is getting to be like a bad rerun.

Yeah yeah.

Every generations's better. Every generation's worse.

How about let's just deal with now and quit being divided and fractured on every freaking line and topic imaginable?
edit on 5/25/2015 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: gentledissident

It's going to take something cleverer than old folks' homes to solve the ancient problem of few enslaving many. Trashing the planet seems to be a byproduct of this greed; whatever it takes.
Quit blaming "them."

"They" are by far the biggest culprits. Here's an example of "their" power. A town in Oklahoma, Cherokee, banned fracking. I remember hearing it on our local public radio station that morning. I asked an oilman that morning what he thought about it. He said I was making this up. He emphatically and boastfully said with a confident smile, "We made that town. They can't kick us out." He then made a dramatic exit. I'm sure he had an interesting day. So, Oklahoma is now about to make it illegal to ban the oil and gas industry. This has already been done in Texas. "They" get what they want; whatever it takes. We were told by an oil and gas representative, "If you don't like it, ride your horse to work." A spokesperson in the past told us we were daft for thinking that refilling fracking water wells causes earthquakes. "They" don't care about our planet.

The public has at least left the dangerous 50's mindset of "life is but a dream". However, we are relativity powerless against the oligarchy.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   

most of us don't care? how about saying the wealthy few don't care....those are the ones that have benefitted the most, and suffered the least...

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Guys enjoy life while you can atm. A new master will come within two decades, then its back to being a monkey and survival.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx

most of us don't care? how about saying the wealthy few don't care....those are the ones that have benefitted the most, and suffered the least...

Again, that's blaming someone else.

The problem is that everyone has a different idea of what "green enough" is or should be, and no one is willing to acknowledge that someone else's measure has any validity if they don't do it exactly the same you do or think they should. So then everyone sticks their nose into everyone else's business and starts leveraging government to force others to do it your way.

You know what? Your way isn't always the only way, and it may not even be the right way.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

This again? My grandmother sends me these 'back in my day' email on a regular basis.

How about us young whippersnappers that still use old jars and bottles to preserve food? How about us young punks who take a quick shower to conserve water? How about us juveniles who turn down the brightness on our TVs or install lower wattage lightbulbs to conserve power?

Should I personally be labeled a ne'er do well because I happen to be young? I don't blame every old person for the A bomb, thalidomide, The Tuskegee experiments, Conscription, Cigarettes...Respect is earned through deeds, not the amount of candles on your birthday cake. I respect those older than me who have earned it and I will give respect to the next generation who have earned it.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

Nope, more like stop blaming the former generation exclusively for the problems of the now. There were a lot of things they did as a matter of course that our generation tends to no longer do that would (or should) be labeled "green" by any measure.

My mom used to hang out all our laundry every summer. I used to always walk to school. We never threw things out if they could be fixed.

Did you know there are places where it's against the rules now to hang out your laundry? HOAs don't like the way it looks and neither do some apartment complexes. It reduces curb appeal.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join