It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michelle Obama Tells Black Grads That White People Make Life Tough

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

originally posted by: SaturnFX
That is certainly not devisive.

The only divisive actions here are the people who make a big deal out of her speech and talk about how bad her husband is and how it's her duty to "bring people together", as if 200 years of racism is her fault.

Yeah... she's just stating the facts of this country today. People can stick their heads in the sand and deny it all they want, but we are NOT post-racial,. we are not "almost there" and black people suffer from racism in their lives every single day.

"At least it's not Jim Crow" isn't good enough!

Overall I agree, I will say that paths forward need to be more in focus now than reflecting on the past as the main platform. anger serves little now, but a focus on first off, really pushing the who gives a crap attitude about skin color will help a lot...this only comes though through familiarity..the first time you see a black person in a restaurant may be weird..but if there is always plenty of all races in a restaurant whenever you go..you dont see a issue.
I think the south is still in the growing phase here..still not the norm to see a black person in the same spaces, so it is a bit of a weird culture shock..not soo much as say, my parents time, or their parents, but still unfamiliar.
You cant force it, but with the internet, social media, etc...it is blowing through barriers that would have taken decades to accomplish..so, thats encouraging.

social changes are difficult in any regulatory effectiveness way..government can't really change your mind, but social media, and just connections in general goes a long way.

Lets also not fool ourselves into thinking its just white people resistant to change. black community feels most comfortable around other blacks for similar familiar reasons. and given the disproportunate amount of poor black people, it is often a poor area where these communities are..and poor people are desperate materialistic focused people..meaning you got a lot of vitriol, violence, and general bad social behavior.

I dont know of any solution here outside of making education the "in" thing to do...government would do good to secretly prop up role models in black community of educated professionals verses sports and rap stars being the defacto goals if they want to spend money for social equality gains.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: wanderingconfusion

I am looking at it because it is creating more division and not helping heal the divide.

And posting about it and ragging on her for her word does what to "heal the divide"? If you're accusing her of pushing buttons to aggravate the racial issue in this country, what the hell are you doing posting this thread?? It sounds to me like you're seriously poking at the sore spot.

Wow, you should go calm down!

It is obvious you are looking for a fight instead of a discussion.

Just something I won't do. Have a nice day!

No Benevolent was 100% on the money actually.
The OP was clear race baiting about what you perceived to be "race baiting"...

It has since been proven as a specious argument, by numerous posters who shared the transcript of the First Lady explicitly saying "s# happens, but don't use it as an excuse"...

The OP, of yours, painted a picture that she said whitey is the devil who will hold them back 100% of the time in 100% of their endeavours...

& that is clearly not the case!!!

Own it!
edit on 12-5-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: wanderingconfusion

Every tool needed to succeed is out there. It is your OWN RESPONSIBILITY to take advantage of those tools and progress or remain stagnant. That is on you!

This is why you should read the transcript.

"But, graduates, today, I want to be very clear that those feelings are not an excuse to just throw up our hands and give up. Not an excuse. They are not an excuse to lose hope. To succumb to feelings of despair and anger only means that in the end, we lose. "

"Because here is the truth -- if you want to have a say in your community, if you truly want the power to control your own destiny, then you’ve got to be involved. You got to be at the table. You’ve got to vote, vote, vote, vote. That’s it; that's the way we move forward. That’s how we make progress for ourselves and for our country."

The speech wasn't about "blaming whitey" at all. It was about inspiring graduates to pick up the mantle of progress and to contribute to bettering their communities and their country.

How terrible!

Read it and reread it.

The speech was about "blaming whitey".

Perception is a funny thing!

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   

So, instead of answering my question, you tell me to go calm down. Nice deflection. I'm perfectly calm. I just wanted to know if you're condemning Michelle for poking a wasp's nest, what are you doing with this thread? If you don't want to answer, that's fine.
edit on 5/12/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

I am looking at it because it is creating more division and not helping heal the divide.

And posting about it and ragging on her for her word does what to "heal the divide"? If you're accusing her of pushing buttons to aggravate the racial issue in this country, what the hell are you doing posting this thread?? It sounds to me like you're seriously poking at the sore spot.

Wow, you should go calm down!

It is obvious you are looking for a fight instead of a discussion.

Just something I won't do. Have a nice day!

No Benevolent was 100% on the money actually.
The OP was clear race baiting about what you perceived to be "race baiting"...

It has since been proven as a specious argument by numerous posters who shard the transcript of the First Lady explicitly saying "s# happens, but don't use it as an excuse"...

The OP, of yours, painted a picture that she said whitey is the devil who will hold them back 100% of the time in 100% of their endeavours...

& that is clearly not the case!!!

Own it!

What are you talking about????

Where did I say "she said whitey is the devil"?

Please don't twist my words or put them in my mouth that way.

I am not going to discuss anything with you Sir/Ma'am because this is your M.O.

Have a nice day.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   
If people remember how Mrs. Obama and her mother treated people they encountered when they went to China awhile back, then this attitude she still carries around like the plague won't be a surprise.

It was said that how she treated people even made some think of suicide.

The Obamas and in-laws are like an abandoned sewage treatment plant that still has the full sewage tanks. Hazardous to be near, and hazardous to have been in contact with.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Perception is a funny thing!

Not when your wrong it isn't...

It's just sad.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX
Lets also not fool ourselves into thinking its just white people resistant to change. black community feels most comfortable around other blacks for similar familiar reasons. and given the disproportunate amount of poor black people, it is often a poor area where these communities are..and poor people are desperate materialistic focused people..meaning you got a lot of vitriol, violence, and general bad social behavior.

I completely agree. And I think Michelle was telling these black people to do their part to take responsibility for their lives and choices, in the face of the difficulties they will surely face. It's actually a very empowering message.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   

So, instead of answering my question, you tell me to go calm down. Nice deflection. I'm perfectly calm. I just wanted to know if you're condemning Michelle for poking a wasp's nest, what are you doing with this thread? If you don't want to answer, that's fine.

No deflecting, you tone was pretty harsh and I did nothing to deserve that.

I am merely stating my opinion of her speech.

Why poke a wasp's nest and keep the divide going?

Can't you see that?

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   

"I am looking at it because it is creating more division and not helping heal the divide. I think I am at least entitled to that, yes? "

Entitled to it? I suppose you're "entitled" to waste your time any way you see fit, but if you want to participate in the "real" world, you'd realize there's no "healing" the divide. People like Michele Obama aren't interested in healing the divide.

You kinda like gotta wake up and realize the "Divide" is a business model! And a very profitable one at that! A whole lot of well intentioned white people with minds full of mush voted Obama into office thinking that electing the first "Black" President would heal the divide. It didn't; it made the divide worse. If that didn't heal the divide...nothing will and...nothing will. But wait, there's more....if you read and study the "Social Justice" movement you'll find something else out that's pertinent to you if you're a white person and that is that if you're white...you don't have a dog in that hunt. Its kinda like being the lone idiot Jew in Nazi Germany that wanted to join the German Army and be a Nazi...the message he got was "not wanted, not allowed, get on the train to Auschwitz"!

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   

I don't have a modus operandi...

But have an intolerance to BS...

So spare me the holier than thou claptrap, please.

You know exactly what I'm talking about and I'm about to C&P just a few segments of your OP to shine a light on it.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Have a nice day.

I see this is your MO. If someone disagrees with you or asks you a tough question, you discount what they've said and tell them to have a nice day... If you only wanted to discuss one side of this issue (the one that you agree with) perhaps you shouldn't have posted it on a public forum.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Why do Asian people never complain about being a minority.

They never blame their problems on anyone and they are very successful.

I think other minorities can learn from their example

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Why poke a wasp's nest and keep the divide going?

Can't you see that?

Yes. But that's exactly what you're doing with this thread. I would never have known about the speech had I not seen this thread. And I think her message was not meant for me. It was meant for her audience. I'm white and I am not offended in the slightest by her speech.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Forgive me, but I failed to see any reference to white people whatsoever by the First Lady. What I did see was MO speaking the truth that some people just can't seem to come to grips with.

The realization that no matter how far you rise in life, how hard you work to be a good person, a good parent, a good citizen — for some folks it will never be enough.

Exactly. We have seen just that when it comes to Obama's presidency, his wife, kids, personal vacation time, etc. No matter what, these people couldn't do anything right and were blasted for anything and everything they did.

Why was that? Politics?

No.

It's because there still are many people in this nation that judge people based on the color of their skin, but don't have the juevos to be honest about it. I have more respect for an honest racist than I do to those that claim their hatred lies in political or ideological roots.

That being said, this article was twisted in a way to appeal to those closet racists that get outraged at false stories such as these. Why do people fall for it?
edit on 12-5-2015 by introvert because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-5-2015 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Noobarino
Why do Asian people never complain about being a minority.

No one is complaining about being a minority. Asians don't have a history of being enslaved in their own country and being treated like dirt. Asians are respected in this country. Black people are being shot by cops every day. There's a HUGE difference.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Have a nice day.

I see this is your MO. If someone disagrees with you or asks you a tough question, you discount what they've said and tell them to have a nice day... If you only wanted to discuss one side of this issue (the one that you agree with) perhaps you shouldn't have posted it on a public forum.

Quote my whole quote so it can be known why I will not discuss anything with Charlie.

I am not a race baiter and I don't appreciate being called one.

That is why I said what I did.

Would it have been better to tell them to f off?

I wasn't raised that way.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Best post in the thread.

On that note, I'll take my leave before it gets even uglier in here.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   
She is just another entitled minded brat that is trying to divide the country even more but honestly who cares she will be a has been in a few months anyway.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere

But she didn't blame anyone, it's like yall don't care what she actually said just want you want to think she said. Let's just listen to what hannity and coulter have to say, cause they are the voice of reason.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join