It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michelle Obama Tells Black Grads That White People Make Life Tough

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Let me make this perfectly clear for you. I mentioned right wing because it is truth.

I am neither left or right at this current time.

I didn't vote the last four election because I couldn't chose the lesser of the two evils.

But if you must know - I am a registered Dem.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: InverseLookingGlass
a reply to: wanderingconfusion

Where she had an opportunity from her lofty position to heal some national wounds and speak of how far we have all come together,

That is coded Jim Crow verbiage intended to whitewash the past and present abuse. It is intended to instill indignation and denial displacing the feelings of guilt. It is another brick in the wall of shamelessness.

Nice try...

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I would say she is dead on.
she spoke of how (summery) bad stuff may have happened due to color of skin, bad stuff may still happen due to color of skin, but you know what..thats not an excuse..you make your fate in the end..dont give up.

That is certainly not devisive. I live in the deep south, and I can damn well assure you that there certainly is latent racism still in many areas..its much better now (by multiples, even in the last 20 years), but still got a segregation mindset in many more country and town areas...but she isn't saying fight the power..she is saying become empowered yourself.

This is why I can't take neocons seriously. They are endlessly trying to fake victimhood towards perceived insults, while at the same time decrying those on the other side of the horseshoe that is equally demanding they are a victim.

Now, start up a discussion on some radical feminism and their demand that the patriarchy is holding them back and I am in your corner..that is certainly a lot of bull..but no, telling black folks to basically be stronger than the occasional rednecks you encounter and dont let it stop you from achieving your goals is not a terrible thing..thats the speeches we need Sharpton and the like to be saying moreso than "you have no chance if white men are in charge' mindset.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

Michelle is helping with the division in this country. Obviously she is going right along with the agenda (understandably, she IS the First Lady).

But you are totally right, she should be helping to point out the progress we have made and how capable we are as a society to live peacefully with one another. Instead she is stirring the pot and playing the victim card once again. Shame on her

I don't get it. I came up in the "ghetto" -yes literally the "ghetto" because that is all my momma could afford and so did my husband. Both of us were dirt poor and were in the school district that didn't get as much aid as other schools did. We worked hard by keeping our noses clean, studying and dreaming about the future that we wanted for ourselves.

I credit our success to our mommas! Without their love and guidance who knows where BOTH of us would have ended up. I cheered for the momma who went and got her son from the Baltimore rioting. That reminded me that there is still hope in the country.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: InverseLookingGlass

Coded Jim Crow verbiage? Really?

How so? Do please elucidate.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   

"Why does she continue to do this? "

First, what would you expect her to do? Its Tuskegee University, an all "Black" University; she's talking to her people and she's talking to a Graduating Class; a group of people about to go out into the world and try to make a living. What better way to make a living than to pursue a career as an author/promoter of the "White Privilege"/"Black Studies" curriculum. Its already an industry with nationwide conferences, Book signing events, Seminars and College courses. I refer to it as the "Social Justice Industry"; it employs millions!

And of course, she's got to be a bit inflammatory and remind the audience how they been victimized by the evil White Man. You can't have an industry built around victimization without having some "victims" without pointing out the differences between the "good guys" and the "bad guys". So, well, heck yea, she's "Divisive". You can't have profit without "Division". You have to continually promote and highlight the "differences" to ever widen and deepen the division! You've got to maintain the angst and hatred against the "Enemy".

My question is...why are you looking at this? Are you a black person? If so, well heck yea, this is pertinent. But if you aren't....why are you looking? Why do you care? And there's not a blasted thing you can do about it. I agree its important to keep up with events and to keep an eye on what your enemies are up to, what they're planning, but beyond that....there's no real relevance.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   

I wonder if you listened to the entirety of her speech or read the transcript or are your comments based on the commentary in the abysmal bit from buzzpo and a short video clip? You can read the transcript here.

you’d think we were still living under (the Democrat-supported) Jim Crow laws before the Civil Rights Act (which more Republicans supported) and are not far from the days of slavery (which a Republican president worked to abolish).

The above statement demonstrates the superficial nature of your knowledge of the history of American politics. This is what happens when peoples' worldviews are informed by things like memes posted to Facebook and clickbait political propaganda. This isn't intended to be an attack on you but you should be aware that people who actually have more than a passing interest in the subject are rolling their eyes.

Absent a reasonable level of understanding of even recent history, I can't honestly say that your criticism of Mrs. Obama's speech carries much weight.
edit on 2015-5-12 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX
That is certainly not devisive.

The only divisive actions here are the people who make a big deal out of her speech and talk about how bad her husband is and how it's her duty to "bring people together", as if 200 years of racism is her fault.

Yeah... she's just stating the facts of this country today. People can stick their heads in the sand and deny it all they want, but we are NOT post-racial,. we are not "almost there" and black people suffer from racism in their lives every single day.

"At least it's not Jim Crow" isn't good enough!
edit on 5/12/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

+13 more 
posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: pilgrimOmega

originally posted by: whyamIhere
When your husband is the worst President in American History.

You have to blame somebody when everything you tried failed miserably.

Blame White People...it's worked like a charm the past 20 years.

The Chickens have come home to roost....Indeed

This is the kind of white person she was talking about.

You mean the kind of "White People" she is blaming ?

She is the First Lady of the United States of America.

Tell me again how whitey is keeping her down...

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   
My momma punched your momma right in the nose. What color is the blood?

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

"Why does she continue to do this? "

First, what would you expect her to do? Its Tuskegee University, an all "Black" University; she's talking to her people and she's talking to a Graduating Class; a group of people about to go out into the world and try to make a living. What better way to make a living than to pursue a career as an author/promoter of the "White Privilege"/"Black Studies" curriculum. Its already an industry with nationwide conferences, Book signing events, Seminars and College courses. I refer to it as the "Social Justice Industry"; it employs millions!

And of course, she's got to be a bit inflammatory and remind the audience how they been victimized by the evil White Man. You can't have an industry built around victimization without having some "victims" without pointing out the differences between the "good guys" and the "bad guys". So, well, heck yea, she's "Divisive". You can't have profit without "Division". You have to continually promote and highlight the "differences" to ever widen and deepen the division! You've got to maintain the angst and hatred against the "Enemy".

My question is...why are you looking at this? Are you a black person? If so, well heck yea, this is pertinent. But if you aren't....why are you looking? Why do you care? And there's not a blasted thing you can do about it. I agree its important to keep up with events and to keep an eye on what your enemies are up to, what they're planning, but beyond that....there's no real relevance.

I am looking at it because it is creating more division and not helping heal the divide.

I think I am at least entitled to that, yes?

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: wanderingconfusion
I am looking at it because it is creating more division and not helping heal the divide.

And posting about it and ragging on her for her word does what to "heal the divide"? If you're accusing her of pushing buttons to aggravate the racial issue in this country, what the hell are you doing posting this thread?? It sounds to me like you're seriously poking at the sore spot.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

originally posted by: SaturnFX
That is certainly not devisive.

The only divisive actions here are the people who make a big deal out of her speech and talk about how bad her husband is and how it's her duty to "bring people together", as if 200 years of racism is her fault.

Yeah... she's just stating the facts of this country today. People can stick their heads in the sand and deny it all they want, but we are NOT post-racial,. we are not "almost there" and black people suffer from racism in their lives every single day.

Am I to blame for the 200 years of racism?

Yes we are NOW far from post-racial - that is a fact. I run in circles of black people and I can tell you that racism oozes from the skin of some blacks - just as it does whites. This isn't a one way street!

Every tool needed to succeed is out there. It is your OWN RESPONSIBILITY to take advantage of those tools and progress or remain stagnant. That is on you!

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Yeah, that old chestnut is becoming, unbecoming...

A rather insipid little gesture.

+3 more 
posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Let us see here...

There is a man of color in the White House. Would this have happened even twenty years ago, in this country, much less forty or so years ago???

One of the folks running for President this year is black. Ben Carson. Twenty years ago? Forty?

For her to imply, whether consciously or unconsciously, that White America, will make it tough for them with deliberate intent is about as divisive as anything she's said in the past ten years, or so.

Jim Crow is dead, and unmourned. Are there still issues to be resolved? Of course there are. ...I say this in every thread of this sort... But things are better, and will continue to do so. Inspite of people, both black and white, who by appearances are attempting to continue the conflict.

Why?

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

originally posted by: wanderingconfusion

And posting about it and ragging on her for her word does what to "heal the divide"? If you're accusing her of pushing buttons to aggravate the racial issue in this country, what the hell are you doing posting this thread?? It sounds to me like you're seriously poking at the sore spot.

Wow, you should go calm down!

It is obvious you are looking for a fight instead of a discussion.

Just something I won't do. Have a nice day!

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

Tell her that her husband makes life tough for ALL Americans. Seriously, what is wrong with these people? It is like they want to divide people and foment resentment. Someone in her position should be above that kind of statement.

my thoughts exactly

checking to be sure

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Every tool needed to succeed is out there. It is your OWN RESPONSIBILITY to take advantage of those tools and progress or remain stagnant. That is on you!

This is why you should read the transcript.

"But, graduates, today, I want to be very clear that those feelings are not an excuse to just throw up our hands and give up. Not an excuse. They are not an excuse to lose hope. To succumb to feelings of despair and anger only means that in the end, we lose. "

"Because here is the truth -- if you want to have a say in your community, if you truly want the power to control your own destiny, then you’ve got to be involved. You got to be at the table. You’ve got to vote, vote, vote, vote. That’s it; that's the way we move forward. That’s how we make progress for ourselves and for our country."

The speech wasn't about "blaming whitey" at all. It was about inspiring graduates to pick up the mantle of progress and to contribute to bettering their communities and their country.

How terrible!

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Onslaught2996
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

Stating life experiences to those who have dealt with the same is wrong?

She also states , she and Obama did not use it as an excuse.

Nonetheless she is spewing BS like a car salesman and telling them what they want to here and encouraging racism.

Crossing to the other side of street because of ones color is no different than running from a policeman simply because they are white.

What would be the reaction of an all white school being addressed by a white guy saying: "Don't let the black people bring you down by blaming you for their problems, keep your heads up and ignore them and concentrate on moving ahead ". Sure he is encouraging them to not make an excuses for themselves, but at the same time he is vilifying black people.

There is no need to bring up the color of your skin on a college graduation speech. You made it that far because you put the time and energy to getting your degree and using your brain . Color had nothing todo with it.

My observations is that white people have taken numerous steps towards stopping racism: Enough to the point that racism is now associated with ignorance by the majority. Hence the uproar from hearing hate speeches like this.

Perhaps now its time for the next phase forgiveness versus the vilification or revenge phase?

Note: I only saw that youtube clip so I don't have the full context of the speech. However, from that clip it does look like the vilification of white people. Regardless, stereotyping racism is still stereotyping.
edit on 33531America/ChicagoTue, 12 May 2015 12:33:45 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join