It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Subway employee celebrates Miss. cops' death on Facebook

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
a reply to: Cuervo

I hate Fords.

Yaaaay cops died lets riot like they did in Baltimore!

Yea, those seem to be pretty equal comments to worry about the consequences of saying.

I haven't had to work for an employer for a while now so maybe that distance is making things like this seem more ridiculous to me. Just the thought that I would have to censor my own private life in order to feed my family is a twisted sort of imprisonment.

There are consequences for the actions I take that may affect my income but I can manage that myself and acquire clients that I think are worth my time. I think that's the disconnect I'm feeling here. If I had to rely on only one client for my living and that client's business could make or break me, I don't think I could ever rest easy. Freedom is too important to throw away for minimum wage.

But, like we discussed, if she were posting pics of her in uniform and publicly representing them with the same account she was spewing her hate drivel, I can't blame Subway for firing her. I may have done the same.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

I'll all for less government to. But people need to understand that along with less government comes more personal opinion.

My honest feeling on humanity anymore. Is that half of humanity want's to be mad at the other half and the other half feels exactly the same way. That might sound stupid but think about it it makes perfect sense.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Why just her?

Social media wise there is a, I want to say virtual civil war brewing, and and it's an us vs. them mentality. They are keeping us down. Targeting us. Martial law is around the corner. Secret forces are at work. There is all kind of bat crazy talk, sentence blurbs being spewed out at massive speeds, on various platforms - displayed just at the top
corner of our lovely forum.

Why not police everything? For anything stupid, but ethical unmoral - said on social media? Let's not just stop by targeting open bigots and anarchists - lets start digging at the pseudo identities people are hiding behind to spew their hate speech. Let's get them all fired from their respective livelihoods too.

Does no one else see the first amendment eroding away...

So I may not agree with what she said, or like what she said - but you best believe I will defend her god damn right to say anything she wants - so long as she is harming no one but herself with her own idiocy.

This is one band wagon of hate - I know better than to jump on. Hate only begets hate. I hope she weathers the storm and moves on to a better position in life. That she was picked out of the thousands of little hateful snippet posted on the internet.... who knows. I guess Subway needed some press - and you know what that say... any kind press - is good press.

CdT

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 07:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: LoverBoy
a reply to: buster2010
Did she have pictures of herself in her uniform up when she was writing that? I thought Shamrock said something about that but I may have mistaken. If so then most companies do not put up with that as it tarnishes the image. I know my employer is a dick about Facebook, but I don't use it anyways.

Alot of states can fire at will although I am not sure about her state. I'm all for freedom of speech, but as seen with other issues, alot of times it comes with reprocussions when it's ignorant. This could be more of an issue with the employer which if she had pictures of her in uniform, is understandable at any job.

So what if she had pics of herself in her uniform does that give a company the right to control her while she isn't working?

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Shamrock6
...but I don't know the state employment laws.

New York is an employment at will state so you can be terminated for any reason other than discriminatory ones.

Are there any states that force you to work?

I'm in Canada but I mean you never know with you guys!

Just joking, Cheers

edit on 10-5-2015 by OfManAndWolf because: Spelling mistake, Minor correcton

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: PorteurDeMort

I'm not a huge fan of police but I would never openly celebrate anyone's death. I think her posts were extremely ignorant and if she worked for me I'd fire her as well. Mindsets like hers are a huge part of the problem. Even if you don't like cops, you don't go around publicly condoning their deaths. They have families just like everyone else.

Nicely said
. I wouldn't want anyone like that working for me. It says a lot about someone's character when they enjoy hearing anyone losing their life. It's shallow and ignorant.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: CirqueDeTruth
Does no one else see the first amendment eroding away...

So I may not agree with what she said, or like what she said - but you best believe I will defend her god damn right to say anything she wants - so long as she is harming no one but herself with her own idiocy.

Nothing about her first amendment rights were infringed upon or prevented with this situation.

This is the first amendment in its entirety:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances"

It doesn't say anywhere in there "People can say whatever they want without consequence"

As a matter of fact I this paragraph sums it up pretty well I think....

"But the First Amendment can’t protect Internet and social media users who forget that the free speech guarantee isn’t a free pass to say whatever you want without facing consequences. That’s because while the First Amendment protects some kinds of speech (that is, you can say or do it), there’s no requirement that other people (such as employers, fraternal organizations, or schools) have to associate with you once you do. And the First Amendment does not protect all kinds of speech
edit on 10-5-2015 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-5-2015 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

She was free to say it, it was not criminal. But that does not mean it wasn't actionable. Your free to march down the courthouse and sue Pam Geller. Just like this chick is free to go to the courthouse to sue subway. The key to the whole free speech protest thing is that you shouldn't take a assault weapon along with you.

Geller has nothing to do with this. People like you whine freedom of speech when she spreads her hate but when this girl does something you don't like freedom of speech goes out the window.

edit on 064u5431America/ChicagoSun, 10 May 2015 19:32:54 -05002010 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

You're free to say whatever you like. As a person. Representing yourself. But when you publicly tie yourself to an institution, that institution doesn't have to support you.

I assume you work for yourself. (Or are retired or something, I don't know) Let's put it that you are self employed. You hire a guy on and hand him a spiffy shirt and visor to wear and he puts pictures of him wearing it on social media. In between the pictures of him wearing your company logo, he's posting about how he hates gays, is glad two cops got killed, how abortion is great/horrible, or whatever else current issue is polarizing.

Are you gonna stay quiet about it? Knowing that even though he's not a company mouthpiece and isn't wearing your gear to the abortion clinic for a rally, but that anybody who sees his page is going to scroll past your logo as they read his comments.

If you wouldn't care, more power to you.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 07:34 PM
link   
If she is wearing company uniform she is representing them therefore needs to adhere to their policy. If she isn't being paid and working then take it off before you act a fool.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   

As usual you're totally wrong. But you are preached upon your's soapbox repeating the same lines over and over because you know those responses have been a proven method of star farming.

I on the other hand say what's on my mind. And I will repeat exactly what I said in my reply that you are misrepresenting.

That woman had the right to say what she wanted. Subway had the right to fire her. Either way the issue is best resolved in court, not at the end of a gun barrel.
edit on 10-5-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   

If we follow that line of logic, no one should be responsible, for anything, ever.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

Did she have pictures of herself in her uniform up when she was writing that? I thought Shamrock said something about that but I may have mistaken. If so then most companies do not put up with that as it tarnishes the image. I know my employer is a dick about Facebook, but I don't use it anyways.

Alot of states can fire at will although I am not sure about her state. I'm all for freedom of speech, but as seen with other issues, alot of times it comes with reprocussions when it's ignorant. This could be more of an issue with the employer which if she had pictures of her in uniform, is understandable at any job.

So what if she had pics of herself in her uniform does that give a company the right to control her while she isn't working?

LOL Define "control".

Hell Yes ... they had a right to fire her. Do you think Subway's legal team didn't review this before the company acted? And, you can bet she'll neither find nor be able to afford an attorney to do anything about it. You can also bet she's signing up for a welfare check and food stamps ... if she wasn't getting those already.

I don't care what she had to say. It was an ignorant statement and one that had great potential to go viral. Likewise, I don't care about the repercussions she's facing. I just wish she had no fallback options (free big-government support).

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Buster, this isn't a world where thought crime is a punishable infraction - yet. Well I guess an argument can be made society can ostracize you and punish you in ways that may or may not put other family members lives in turmoil too... You have to actually commit a crime, to be punishable for it. Do I think she might need to go on the "possible future domestic terrorist" list they compromise in the event of civil war.... sure. They can do that.

NSA Web Analyst Bill says, "Hey Bob..."

"What" Bob says from his cubicle as he reads ATS, one of his more enjoyable assignments. Everyone at the NSA wanted to monitor ATS.

"Got another one". Bill says as he red flags another individual who is active on the internet, and displayed red herring posting tendencies.

"Me too!", Bob says as he follows the link to a personal individual from and ATS thread, one single person - targeted among the millions.

It would be sorta eerie... if the Scientologists score one again in prophetic conspiracy.

CdT
edit on 10-5-2015 by CirqueDeTruth because: expanded thought

edit on 10-5-2015 by CirqueDeTruth because: editing

edit on 10-5-2015 by CirqueDeTruth because: edit fix

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   

If she is wearing company uniform she is representing them therefore needs to adhere to their policy. If she isn't being paid and working then take it off before you act a fool.

I disagree here, I don't think that the uniform matters. I would surely have to accept the disgust of my friends if I said a disgusting thing, I should also accept the same misapprobation if I offend society as a whole. It is pretty simple really,. Unless I don't want to form a part of society, that is.

Isn't this about morality? Isn't this about the reprehensible behaviour displayed? Why is it ok to act this way but it ISN'T ok to reprehend it? I mean why?

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj
I agree I think it is morally wrong, but she shouldn't be terminated for something morally wrong. Maybe she is a hussy on the side. Maybe an alcoholic. Maybe she is a felon. What is morally wrong to some may not be to others. Do I think it is wrong? Absolutely.

However flashing her employment uniform etc while making these comments is what bit her with her employer.

I can't even post pictures online of me in a uniform drinking a beer or I will be terminated. Whether on duty or not. It is all what the companies policies and procedures are. So in that, we will have to agree to disagree.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   

I agree I think it is morally wrong, but she shouldn't be terminated for something morally wrong. Maybe she is a hussy on the side. Maybe an alcoholic. Maybe she is a felon. What is morally wrong to some may not be to others. Do I think it is wrong? Absolutely.

However flashing her employment uniform etc while making these comments is what bit her with her employer.

I can't even post pictures online of me in a uniform drinking a beer or I will be terminated. Whether on duty or not. It is all what the companies policies and procedures are. So in that, we will have to agree to disagree.

I truly don't care if she sux a ..., or not, that is no reflection on her basic morality. When she celebrates the death of another human being, I feel I can have a say about her as a human being.

I feel as if I went off topic there, and apologise.

I want to say that the moral outrage is very relevant here, not just the economical concerns.
edit on 10-5-2015 by Jonjonj because: Added opinion due to failure

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Lol I liked the first line. Again I agree it is morally wrong what she said. And you do have a right to say what you want about her. Just like she has the right to spew her garbage. As much as I dislike her for it, she does. Saying that stuff along with your employer uniform is another issue, which is most likely against the companies policies and procedures. It is for alot of companies.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010
So where are all the people crying freedom of speech? If she did this on her own time the company has no right to fire but if she did it on company time then they have the right. Funny how people support the idea that a person is on company time 24/7 if the company wants to do that then they need to start paying accordingly.

I was just about to type this after having an all day bout over the cartoon shenanigans saying I protect free speech but it was really disrespectful to have a cartoon drawing intentionally of Mohammed. Kudos for you for bringing this up. I find this girls statements disrespectful too however...free speech...although looks like shes being investigated for her free speech.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I don't take much issue with subway firing her.
Most jobs like that I worked had some sort of clause that if I misrepresented them I could lose my job.

What I wonder is how many would defend the company if it wasn't the police.

Like if it was just an ordinary citizen and a person celebrated the loss of life and was fired.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join