It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Subway employee celebrates Miss. cops' death on Facebook

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Hi OP. I'm curious as to how Facebook people responded to her. Since I stay away from there and you brought it up, fill us in on the reaction?

edit on 10-5-2015 by aboutface because: typo

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
I doubt Subway has anything like that, but like it or not the same page that had these comments on it has her dressed in Subway gear.

I would wager that Subway, being publically traded, has an extensive employee handbook making clear what behaviors are permissible and can lead to termination.

I have worked for some very large companies (including my present employer) and all had/have ethics clauses which could lead to termination for out of work incidents as outlined in the Original Post.

edit on 10-5-2015 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: CirqueDeTruth
I don't have to like her or know her - for her to make me a sandwich so she can provide for herself in this society.

That is your personal viewpoint and I would say with 100% certainty that there are people who would not patronize the establishment if she was employed there.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Qumulys
a reply to: Cuervo

I think there may be a problem in that you have the right to free speech, but that right when exercised does not protect you from unintended consequences such as losing a job. For instance a Fox news reporter may in his spare time say how he's sick of telling lies and his boss is a prize class douche, but he should not be surprised to turn up on Monday and be pointed around again.

Subway I think has a right to hire people that are fit for the job, if the person is spouting hateful comments in the media I think they would be well within their rights to protect the company's name.

The example you brought up is a person who represents FOX 24/7 and makes a salary. A Subway employee is not owned by Subway when they are off the clock. If you want to control your employees when they aren't there, you need to pay them 24/7.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cuervo

The example you brought up is a person who represents FOX 24/7 and makes a salary. A Subway employee is not owned by Subway when they are off the clock. If you want to control your employees when they aren't there, you need to pay them 24/7.

Employment laws in New York state disagree with you. She can be terminated without cause at any time.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

None of her comments have anything to do with her employment with Subway. Posting pictures of herself in uniform on social media brings her employer into it. I'm not allowed to post anything, at all, period, in uniform or referencing the agency I work for on social media. It's part of my employment. I doubt Subway has anything like that, but like it or not the same page that had these comments on it has her dressed in Subway gear.

Had she not had any pictures of herself all done up for work, who's to say anybody in the media would've brought Subway into the mix? The dude who posted about putting wings on pigs didn't have the media talking about where he worked.

Ok see, that makes sense. I didn't know she did that. There was a picture of her in uniform on the site but it didn't say she posted that or if it was just a picture somebody else grabbed and shared.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

And that would be their right. I still don't want to beggar her and ruin her life. Personally anyways. I don't know her, and people say and do stupid crap. She's already paying the pied piper, as everyone she does know comes marching along to give her their piece of mind at her folly. I don't know if she has kids, a house, car payments. I certainly don't wish her such, that her life is put in jeopardy. Two lives have already been lost, destroying another - doesn't bring them back and it doesn't honor their memory either. It just fuels the fire.

CdT
edit on 10-5-2015 by CirqueDeTruth because: edit to add

edit on 10-5-2015 by CirqueDeTruth because: edit fix

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Employment laws in New York state disagree with you. She can be terminated without cause at any time.

You are okay with that? What if that became the norm. How would you like knowing that your boss hates Fords and you knew you would be fired if you posted a picture of your truck. You would, on your private off-time, have to live your life in accordance to somebody who isn't even paying you during that time.

I realize that Subway can legally do that. I was saying that it's wrong.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   

And that would be their right. I still don't want to beggar her and ruin her life. Personally anyways. I don't know her, and people say and do stupid crap. She's already paying the pied piper. I don't know if she has kids, a house, car payments. I certainly don't wish her such, that her life is put in jeopardy. Two lives have already been lost, destroying another - doesn't bring them back and it doesn't honor their memory either. It just fuels the fire.

That is not the point I was attempting to make.

Her employer, the franchisee, has to protect their business interests along with the other associates interests. Anything detrimental to that needs to be removed.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   

And that would be their right. I still don't want to beggar her and ruin her life.
CdT

Then she should have had a minimal amount of common sense to know that posting stupid things in the uniform of your employer is a bad idea.

She exercised her right to free speech and then learned the concept of every action has a consequence.

Hopefully she grows from the experience.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 06:51 PM
link   

You are okay with that? What if that became the norm.

It is the norm and New York is actually one of the most liberal in this regard having a public policy exemption.

How would you like knowing that your boss hates Fords and you knew you would be fired if you posted a picture of your truck. You would, on your private off-time, have to live your life in accordance to somebody who isn't even paying you during that time

They can do that now and it has been that way for a very long time.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA

And that would be their right. I still don't want to beggar her and ruin her life.
CdT

Then she should have had a minimal amount of common sense to know that posting stupid things in the uniform of your employer is a bad idea.

She exercised her right to free speech and then learned the concept of every action has a consequence.

Hopefully she grows from the experience.

Fair enough. I guess.

CdT
edit on 10-5-2015 by CirqueDeTruth because: reluctantly rest my case

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I think the reality of the situation is being clouded by the moralistic Ideal here.

The woman seemed to celebrate the death of other people.

As such...I mean really? Does it need to be justified?
edit on 10-5-2015 by Jonjonj because: deleted smily

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse

To me this thread is going to be fairly amusing. Because I am going to see the same people that on many threads want the government out of our lives.

I'm one of 'those' that would prefer a less intrusive government.

What this thread said to me was, "Choose your friends wisely." IOW, put a little distance between this callus biatch ... and maybe anyone else who 'designs' sandwiches for a living. She works at Subway because that's the best she can do. Casts aspersions on the mentality of everyone working for minimum wage ... by design.

I think things like this through. Other people take them at face value. How long before it's Us -vs- Them?

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   

I hate Fords.

Yaaaay cops died lets riot like they did in Baltimore!

Yea, those seem to be pretty equal comments to worry about the consequences of saying.

+7 more 
posted on May, 10 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   

“We can turn this bxtch into Baltimore real quick,” Mccurdy wrote. “Police take away innocent people lves everyday now & get away w/ it , f---- them...[no mercy].”

The firing was justified and anything that happened to her was self inflicted. The risk of keeping this person would far outweigh any risk taken in getting rid of her.

If celebrating and advocating the murder of law enforcement officers is not reason enough to let a person go, what is?

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

“We can turn this bxtch into Baltimore real quick,” Mccurdy wrote. “Police take away innocent people lves everyday now & get away w/ it , f---- them...[no mercy].”

The firing was justified and anything that happened to her was self inflicted. The risk of keeping this person would far outweigh any risk taken in getting rid of her.

If celebrating and advocating the murder of law enforcement officers is not reason enough to let a person go, what is?

And let us not forget the immorality of somehow defending murder, let us not forget that!

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Qumulys

I think there may be a problem in that you have the right to free speech, but that right when exercised does not protect you from unintended consequences such as losing a job. For instance a Fox news reporter may in his spare time say how he's sick of telling lies and his boss is a prize class douche, but he should not be surprised to turn up on Monday and be pointed around again.

Subway I think has a right to hire people that are fit for the job, if the person is spouting hateful comments in the media I think they would be well within their rights to protect the company's name.

I understand the point you're making but....when employees make bring a company into disrepute while off the clock, the company shouldn't have to just sit by and take it either.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Exactly. Obviously job hire/fire laws vary greatly between countries and states. Some of the stupid laws down here have made it neigh on impossible to fire incompetent fools in the past. We were stuck with a worker once who would do all sorts of stupid stuff, turn up drunk and blame work stress for causing it etc. Just couldn't get rid of the guy. A company has to have some power to protect their image, otherwise any business could be destroyed by a rogue employee. There has to be a line drawn where a person can have free speech, but they have to harbour the intelligence that what they say can indeed destroy their life. It's called being an adult, I think it's in the fine print somewhere

edit on 10-5-2015 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   

a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I don't have to like her or know her - for her to make me a sandwich so she can provide for herself in this society.

CdT

Unfortunatly IF she was in uniform even off work time she is representing the companies image. IF she was not in uniform then her firing was discriminatory.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join