It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Subway employee celebrates Miss. cops' death on Facebook

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   

A Subway sandwich artist who hailed the murders of two Mississippi police officers on social media faced a fierce online backlash Sunday that threatened her job.

Sierra (C-Babi) Mccurdy wrote on Facebook “2 police officers was shot in Hattiesburg tonight!” according to screengrabs circulating online. “Got em.”

Put this little tidbit here because I don't think it really fits into the PC realm, as that's not why it interests me. What interests me is the "sandwich artist" (why, Subway? Why?) makes a couple of posts regarding the slaying of two cops and gets fired over it. Personally, I think it's the franchisee's right to do that if they wish, but I don't know the state employment laws.

Her second post was about turning "this bxtch(sic) into Baltimore." My understanding is she doesn't even live in Hattiesburg but I'm not 100% on that.

Thus far, Subway has not returned any requests for comment, but the online backlash against them seems to be coming in fast and furious.

+14 more 
posted on May, 10 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I'm not a huge fan of police but I would never openly celebrate anyone's death. I think her posts were extremely ignorant and if she worked for me I'd fire her as well. Mindsets like hers are a huge part of the problem. Even if you don't like cops, you don't go around publicly condoning their deaths. They have families just like everyone else.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

A Subway sandwich artist who hailed the murders of two Mississippi police officers on social media faced a fierce online backlash Sunday that threatened her job.

Sierra (C-Babi) Mccurdy wrote on Facebook “2 police officers was shot in Hattiesburg tonight!” according to screengrabs circulating online. “Got em.”

Put this little tidbit here because I don't think it really fits into the PC realm, as that's not why it interests me. What interests me is the "sandwich artist" (why, Subway? Why?) makes a couple of posts regarding the slaying of two cops and gets fired over it. Personally, I think it's the franchisee's right to do that if they wish, but I don't know the state employment laws.

Her second post was about turning "this bxtch(sic) into Baltimore." My understanding is she doesn't even live in Hattiesburg but I'm not 100% on that.

Thus far, Subway has not returned any requests for comment, but the online backlash against them seems to be coming in fast and furious.

Slippery slope. Yes, a company has a right to protect it's image. But an employee has a right to employment without discrimination - to a degree.
As long is the employee is a lawful citizen, I do not see what business it should be to the employer. I don't think that jurisdiction over acceptable behavior outside of work should be given businesses and media trends.

It is the media pointing out that this remark came from a subway sandwich artist so it is the media that has placed a gun to the business head and demanded action. Where is the protection for the employee here? After the fact civil suit?

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   

...but I don't know the state employment laws.

New York is an employment at will state so you can be terminated for any reason other than discriminatory ones.

edit on 10-5-2015 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: MALBOSIA

She has pictures of her posted in her Subway getup. I don't necessarily think it was to add some evil Subway angle to it, so much as a smear tactic against the person specifically.

@ Porteur - totally agree. Pretty ignorant and classless.

@Augustus - she lives in Mississippi somewhere. The article is just from the NY paper.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

It appears that she has been terminated and the FBI and local police are investigating. It seems that her entire profile has been deleted and someone else has taken it over to continue reporting the incident.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Mindsets like hers are a huge part of the problem. Even if you don't like cops, you don't go around publicly condoning their deaths. They have families just like everyone else.

It's part of our society's problem. No need for things like this. It's becoming part of the problem, not the solution.

Subway probably gets burned down either way.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

What does any of that have to do with her working at Subway? Did she write those messages using the Subway page or was she holding a sign while wearing her uniform? If not, why connect the two?

Nobody should be fired for voicing their opinions unless that person is a known spokesperson for the company or doing it while representing. If a company holds those standards for minimum wage employees then they need to pay them 24/7 for living up to Subway ethics while off the clock. Off the clock is off the clock.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: MALBOSIA

Sure a business has a right to protect its image. But a business also has the responsibility to protect its employees. A statement like that could only come from a violent antisocial personality. I would have erred on the side of safety even if I faced a lawsuit.
edit on 10-5-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

Road gravel; I loved your last line God bless the Cynical people of this world.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   
So where are all the people crying freedom of speech? If she did this on her own time the company has no right to fire but if she did it on company time then they have the right. Funny how people support the idea that a person is on company time 24/7 if the company wants to do that then they need to start paying accordingly.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I do not know the woman. I did not know the cops. But what I do know is that there are an awful lot of really ignorant people who shoot their mouths off with no real clue about much of anything. With a facebook picture in her uniform, that alone suggests to me that she is a candidate for that category of people I mentioned. And here we are talking about it, and THAT is what is sad to me. Oh my, me too I guess. Oh well.

edit on 31America/ChicagoSun, 10 May 2015 18:14:22 -0500Sun, 10 May 2015 18:14:22 -050015052015-05-10T18:14:22-05:00600000014 by TerryMcGuire because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010
Did she have pictures of herself in her uniform up when she was writing that? I thought Shamrock said something about that but I may have mistaken. If so then most companies do not put up with that as it tarnishes the image. I know my employer is a dick about Facebook, but I don't use it anyways.

Alot of states can fire at will although I am not sure about her state. I'm all for freedom of speech, but as seen with other issues, alot of times it comes with reprocussions when it's ignorant. This could be more of an issue with the employer which if she had pictures of her in uniform, is understandable at any job.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010
So where are all the people crying freedom of speech? If she did this on her own time the company has no right to fire but if she did it on company time then they have the right. Funny how people support the idea that a person is on company time 24/7 if the company wants to do that then they need to start paying accordingly.

She was free to say it, it was not criminal. But that does not mean it wasn't actionable. Your free to march down the courthouse and sue Pam Geller. Just like this chick is free to go to the courthouse to sue subway. The key to the whole free speech protest thing is that you shouldn't take a assault weapon along with you.

To me this thread is going to be fairly amusing. Because I am going to see the same people that on many threads want the government out of our life's.

Asking where the government is and why isn't this lady protected.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

So where are all the people crying freedom of speech? If she did this on her own time the company has no right to fire...

Many employers have ethics clauses in their employment contracts or handbooks and can terminate you for out of work transgressions. This has nothing to do with the 1st Amendment which only pertains to the government.

Additionally, New York is an employment at will state and you can be fired without cause.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

I think there may be a problem in that you have the right to free speech, but that right when exercised does not protect you from unintended consequences such as losing a job. For instance a Fox news reporter may in his spare time say how he's sick of telling lies and his boss is a prize class douche, but he should not be surprised to turn up on Monday and be pointed around again.

Subway I think has a right to hire people that are fit for the job, if the person is spouting hateful comments in the media I think they would be well within their rights to protect the company's name.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: MALBOSIA

Slippery slope. Yes, a company has a right to protect it's image. But an employee has a right to employment without discrimination - to a degree.
As long is the employee is a lawful citizen, I do not see what business it should be to the employer. I don't think that jurisdiction over acceptable behavior outside of work should be given businesses and media trends.

It is the media pointing out that this remark came from a subway sandwich artist so it is the media that has placed a gun to the business head and demanded action. Where is the protection for the employee here? After the fact civil suit?

As a business owner it should be my right to not employ a scumbag hate filled POS as I feel that "it" not "she" may represent me.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 06:35 PM
link   
It's almost like the powers that be, are using social media...

To make it okay to punish you for free speech.

Don't get me wrong. I think what she said is disgusting, and if she was in my facebook friends list, I'd unfriend the hateful ignorant person.

However, I don't want to destroy her very lively hood because she made an ignorant statement.

Just because she shows a lack of empathy and humanity - doesn't make it okay for everyone to take a turn at the same.

CdT

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

None of her comments have anything to do with her employment with Subway. Posting pictures of herself in uniform on social media brings her employer into it. I'm not allowed to post anything, at all, period, in uniform or referencing the agency I work for on social media. It's part of my employment. I doubt Subway has anything like that, but like it or not the same page that had these comments on it has her dressed in Subway gear.

Had she not had any pictures of herself all done up for work, who's to say anybody in the media would've brought Subway into the mix? The dude who posted about putting wings on pigs didn't have the media talking about where he worked.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: CirqueDeTruth
However, I don't want to destroy her very lively hood because she made an ignorant statement.

The reality is it also damages the employer or franchise whom she works for. Would you want this [snipped] waiting on you?
edit on Sun May 10 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: Terms and Conditions of Use--Please Review

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I don't have to like her or know her - for her to make me a sandwich so she can provide for herself in this society.

CdT

<<   2  3  4 >>

join