It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PM Cameron sweeps to unexpected triumph in British election

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Now if Britain can continue to stay the heck away from becoming a member of the EU. I didn't realize that once your nation is part of the EU, that people from any of those EU nations can work in any nation apart of the EU alliance. Britain needs to continue to stay away, and should look at passing laws that make it much much harder for immigrants to come to Britain. Most immigrants are only looking to bleed the system dry, with many benifits, like unemployment, even if they havent even worked a day in Britain. Close the loop holes. Or britain is doomed to fail

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 07:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower
Where did I read that people were being forced to vote via pencil?

Seems to be like David's 'unexpected win', was pretty expected on their end.

ETA: I"ve been informed this is the norm in UK elections. Strange, but OK, that alleviates my conspiratorial mind lol

~Tenth

It's the "norm" the same reason it's the norm in the US. Majority of the polls are done by liberal media agencies who over compensate the liberal pool.

(Crude example, A Pool of 100 people might be taken with 20 being conservatives, 80 being other parties, while a correct pool would be 40-50% conservatives as that better represents the composition of the country. Like i said crude example but that's how it is)

Happy to see the Results, Conservatives always expect and know they will do better than the Polls "predict" because the polls aren't there to show actual results, they are there to try and influence the results.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

Actually from what I am seeing in British media is party members / leaders resigning their positions.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
a reply to: Greathouse

Actually from what I am seeing in British media is party members / leaders resigning their positions.

Well Milliband did worse than Gorden Brown who was despised in 2010 and Clegg has basically seen the destruction of his party to irrelevance.

Neither jobs are now tenable.

In some ways its a bit of a Pyrrhic victory for Cameron as he has lost any control over Scotland.
edit on 8-5-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

I have to play the dumb American card here. I did not follow their elections as closely as I should have. But I'm making myself a promise to do so next time.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse

I have to play the dumb American card here. I did not follow their elections as closely as I should have. But I'm making myself a promise to do so next time.

Its not like the USA election season only lasts a few weeks here so you can be forgiven on missing it.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Well okay in that way England is superior.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 08:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

originally posted by: tothetenthpower
Where did I read that people were being forced to vote via pencil?

Seems to be like David's 'unexpected win', was pretty expected on their end.

~Tenth

I used my own pen with no problems!

we normally have pencils though at the polling stations.

I have no idea why.

EDIT Sorry CX just saw your response to this question

I previously worked for local govt and have been involved in elections in the past. They use pencils as they are more reliable than pens in terms of not running dry when not in use, potentially for years at a time. They can be easily sharpened in the polling booth, as opposed to pens that would need to be replaced if the ink ran out and are overall less likely to malfunction at a crucial time

But by all means you can bring your own pen and use it if you want

Had to repeat this ad-infinitum after the independence referendum

edit on 8-5-2015 by destination now because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 08:13 AM
link   
While conservative got more seats by a clear margin they did not get more actual votes so not quite the wholesome victory it seems.

That said, im glad no more coalition, not hugely fussed about conservative win lets see what they can do.

UKIP getting one seat but over 10% of votes goes to show that some of their key priority's firstly wernt unreasonable and secondly that one in ten would like to see some of those policy's - perhaps not now but maybe included in future partys policy tweaks. Im glad they did get anything approaching a majority in votes i wouldnt want them or Nigel in, but i really did like the idea of stopping the run away train that is immigration and welfare support of those we have.

Lastly, lib dems crushing loss. Lets me honest has been coming for some time, 8 seats along with DUP - but 2.5 times less than ukip in votes. Time is finally up perhaps?

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   

I can tell you that it had nothing to do with Russia, the British people voted and might I add foolishly voted for Conservatives and David Cameron because of the SNP. Their leader Nicola Sturgeon threatened to attack any budget or bill they put in even if Labour didn't make a deal and said that they would make sure Labour had the hardest time in government (I'm paraphrasing) if they didn't make a deal. This woman held the country to ransom and people feared having a foreign nation holding England by the cricket balls.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   

As someone said Russia had zero to do with it.

It was a mixture of:
Scottish nationalism
Labour Partys past warmongering
Labour Partys past economic mismanagement
Labour partys refusal to give the UK a EU voice.
Labour putting a upper middle class Oxford geek to represent the "working class"
Libdems lies.....o the lies.......

Labour would have had a better chance if they had picked a ordinary non career politician to lead them, offered a EU referendum and booted out the old Blair Bandits.

edit on 8-5-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   
well I live in Texas there but I'd assume they used the old
"immigrants will take over if labour wins" That's how they do it here.
No one pays attention to the fact that big business will make out like bandits
and we'll be under constant video surveillance but as long as those bogeyman are kept
at bay you can do whatever you want politically.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Not quite true about pencil being enforced although it comes on piece of string in booth but i took my own black biro no one knew any different! a reply to: tothetenthpower

In any case it all is a corrupt system at the end of the day with expectation of a party that they will get into power but not only that ballot papers went missing and even a van was stolen transporting ballot papers,happened in different parts of UK.

edit on 11-5-2015 by artfiend1 because: Just to add something

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

If it was fixed the SNP would not have taken the whole of Scotland.

They are a enemy of all the two main parties. No way did they want that result.

Not that I believe it was fixed but of course the SNP winning Scotland works for Tories and they would want that.
It stops Labour getting votes, it moves along the process of them leaving the Union thus weakening Labour in the UK forever and meaning the Conservatives pretty much have free reign in UK and Labour probably never get back into power.

I don't believe this but your logic doesn't work.

If the elite and ruling classes wanted to rig the election... it would have happened Exactly as it did.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   
See. This is what you get when you beat around the bush in elections. They should have voted on whether or not he's ugly and then that would decide if he gets elected.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Sorry to bump this thread but just got to say.....

I've started watching Question Time and already had to turn over.

What none of these self-opinionated twats seem to realise is that Cameron and the Conservatives only got elected because they were perceived by many simply to be the best of a very bad bunch indeed.
They got voted in despite their policies and despite Cameron not because of them.
The public has zero confidence or faith in any of them.

And why is it that the non-elected members of the QT panel nearly always seem to be the most clued up, reasonable and in touch?

I don't know why I put myself through it....why didn't I go to the pub?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join