It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PM Cameron sweeps to unexpected triumph in British election

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 06:46 AM
link   
PM Cameron sweeps to unexpected triumph in British election

LONDON (Reuters) - Prime Minister David Cameron won a stunning election victory in Britain, overturning poll predictions that the vote would be the closest in decades to sweep easily into office for another five years, with his Labour opponents in tatters.

The sterling currency, bonds and shares surged on a result that reversed expectations of an inconclusive "hung parliament" in which Cameron would have had to jockey for power with Labour rival Ed Miliband.

Instead, Cameron was due to meet Queen Elizabeth before noon to accept a swift mandate to form a government. The royal standard was raised at Buckingham Palace to signal the queen was there awaiting him.

"This is the sweetest victory of all," he told enthusiastic supporters at party headquarters. "The real reason to celebrate tonight, the real reason to be proud, the real reason to be excited is we are going to get the opportunity to serve our country again."

Miliband was expected to step down as Labour leader. He said on Twitter: "The responsibility for the result is mine alone."

Apparently the polls were wrong in Britain's version of the "Dewey defeats Truman" result. Cameron has been elected for another 5 year term as Prime minister.

Not only did Cameron win, the margin apparently was decent.

Miliband is going to step down and took responsibility for the loss. It looks like Labour has been getting's its butts handed to them, with Scotland elections also trouncing the Labour party. I am curious how Cameron is going to deal with the budget issues and the NHS funding problems. I also wonder if Russia and its actions had any bearing on the British people in terms of why they voted for Cameron over Miliband.

Should be interesting.

Additional sources -
* - Election results: Conservatives win majority

The Conservatives made gains in England and Wales and are forecast by the BBC to secure 331 seats in the Commons, giving them a slender majority.

edit on 8-5-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Where did I read that people were being forced to vote via pencil?

Seems to be like David's 'unexpected win', was pretty expected on their end.

ETA: I"ve been informed this is the norm in UK elections. Strange, but OK, that alleviates my conspiratorial mind lol

~Tenth
edit on 5/8/2015 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

No idea on the pencil voting. As for expected I don't think it was since British media kept saying this would be the closest election in history.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 06:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

The Route of the Lib Dems and the massive slaughter of Labour in Scotland was painful to watch even though I did vote conservatives.

Some pretty big names in British politics lost there seats last night.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 06:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

~Tenth

If it was fixed the SNP would not have taken the whole of Scotland.

They are a enemy of all the two main parties. No way did they want that result.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Historically, voting in pencil has been the norm. Every election I have known, all my life. I suspect the puzzled reactions were coming from first-time voters.

edit on 8-5-2015 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 06:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

The Route of the Lib Dems and the massive slaughter of Labour in Scotland was painful to watch even though I did vote conservatives.

Could this be one of those "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants" moments watered down?

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 07:02 AM
link   
I wouldn't call it a stunning victory.

so far he has a majority of one.....

Its hardly a stunning victory like the 1997 election.

The only ones who can really stake a claim on having had a stunning night are the SNP.

This conservative government is going to have a very hard time, Torry back benchers are notoriously rebellious

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 07:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
Historically, voting in pencil has been the norm. Every election I have known, all my life. I suspect the puzzled reactions were coming from first-time voters.

Ah OK, I see.

That makes more sense now.

~Tenth

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 07:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

~Tenth

I used my own pen with no problems!

we normally have pencils though at the polling stations.

I have no idea why.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 07:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

originally posted by: crazyewok

Could this be one of those "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants" moments watered down?

More of a scotts are a unpredictable and fickle bunch sort of moments

Lib dems lost badly because of selling out over the past 5 years.

Labour lost due to there disastrous last term in power and them ignoring the people want of a voice in the EU.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 07:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
, Torry back benchers are notoriously rebellious

Just ask my MP shes a trouble maker and good on her

I dont want my MP to be a mindless drone!

Trouble=change

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 07:07 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin
I think historically back-benchers have tended to be more disciplined as part of a small majority, allowing themselves the luxury of awkwardness when there was a larger margin.
Was it Willie Whitelaw who annoyed Maggie by publicly commenting that a large Tory majority would not be convenient, because it would be more difficult to manage?

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 07:25 AM
link   

G those results seem quite unlike what many people from the UK on ATS predicted. Quite possibly they are the minority in The UK.

I guess the next thing we will hear are excuses and claims of voter fraud because the Libs didn't get their way.
edit on 8-5-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 07:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse

I guess the next thing we will hear are excuses and claims of voter fraud because the Libs didn't get their way.

The fact that the SNP now owns all of Scotland disproves voter fraud. The conservatives have won but at a very high price I think Cameron would rather of had a labour Scotland than the headache the SNP will bring.

Think on the scale of the Republican winning over the democrats at the expense of a 3rd party that wants to succeed from the USA taking the entire south.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 07:34 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

I agree, my post was meant to nip that claim in the bud. Have you heard any results on voter turnout this year?

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 07:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse
a reply to: crazyewok

I agree, my post was meant to nip that claim in the bud. Have you heard any results on voter turnout this year?

About 60% it seems.

CX

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 07:39 AM
link   

I asked some people about the whole "pencil voting" thing.....some have worked in the vote collection process before and said that it's always done here with pencil, pens aren't as reliable and as for the prospect of people rubbing the vote out and changing it, there obsevers are that strict here you would have a hard time doing that with so many votes in the short time it takes to get them counted.

The boxes are locked, observed by more than one person and it would be hard to swing a vote like this.

Can understand the raised eyebrows, but in reality, i think theres more chance of computer voting being rigged.

CX.
edit on 8/5/15 by CX because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 07:40 AM
link   
A well known MP from the Libdems said he would eat his hat if they did badly...................

Well I'm waiting for some hat eating

CX

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 07:41 AM
link   

CX.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join