It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freddie Gray's Death Ruled a Homicide; 6 Officers Charged!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

That is really a bs ruling imo.
I mean I get what it is saying, just think it over steps.

But, it is a legal ruling none the less. You can bet if I can find this online in 30 seconds then a defense lawyer will use it.

And let's not forget that all of these "over stepping" laws aren't created by police.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: FraggleRock
I think it's important to note that Marilyn J. Mosby, the Baltimore State Attorney who brought these charges today only recently took office because people wanted change. She won her position on the platform of holding police accountable despite coming from 5 generations of law enforcement.

Some may call her actions today appeasement to the mobs. Maybe they are and maybe they aren't. What her actions are is her standing by her word to hold police accountable.

People can say what they like about the prosecutor and the defendants, but neither get to decide guilt. Let's see what the courts decide.

That said...I don't see how she could not bring charges given the evidence they have shared (Camera Footage of an undisclosed stop) clearly shows the Cops indisputably and officially lied about what happened...both in interviews and reports.
edit on 1-5-2015 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: macman
a reply to: IAMTAT

Well, if they abused their power and caused harm, then they deserve to stand trial for their actions.

Too bad the population there in Baltimore couldn't resist in tearing apart their own town, and just waited to see what happens when an investigation actually works.

I agree it's terrible they tore their own community apart, but how much attention will you get with a peaceful protest these days? The media prays on violence and race baiting, so I say use their own tools against them. I'm sure there are other ways, just my 2 cents.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: RedParrotHead

So, was the arrest illegal? The above make it clear that the stop and search was justified. And IF the knife was illegal was that enough to arrest...or is it a just fine? Seems like this could be opened up to a lot of debate...

That is a good find. However, these incidents are dissimilar in several ways. In both instances, the subject saw the police and ran. Wardlow was detained, pat searched, and a .38 revolver was found in a bag he was carrying. He was arrested, and charged with several gun charges.

In this instance, because Freddie Gray ran, he was arrested, not detained, and only after his arrest was the knife found. The SCOTUS found that running was justification for detaining and questioning, not for an arrest.

Being that Gray was put on the ground, handcuffed, and a wagon was called to transport him to lockup, PRIOR to the search that revealed the knife, kinda sounds like he was arrested rather than detained to be questioned. It will ultimately come down to which version of the timeline the jury accepts.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I just got home from work and saw this on CNN. Can I just say "Wow!" I really did not expect these officers to get charged, even though the story was looking bad for them.

I'm especially surprised the driver is being charged with depraved murder! But it makes sense. Not logging the stops, hiding the extra stop, claiming Freddie was irate in the van, the rough ride...

I hope they follow through with this.
edit on 1-5-2015 by texasgirl because: spelling

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

I agree, let see how this will play out during the proceedings, I am aware that this news will appease the protests, Gray got his fatal injuries when taken into custody the police is responsible for the wellbeing of any person while under custody, regardless of criminal status.

Well done Baltimore.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: amicktd

Attention, strike that................negative attention gained while destroying property of other people and those that live in your city.

SO, if I'm made enough, and want attention, it's all good to go destroy my neighbors car.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

You are right, but taking into consideration the population ration in that city a jury of your peers is going to lean more on side than the other, still I am so glad the police officers got charged.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: RedParrotHead

From the beginning the knife was rule to be legal.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I don't know much about this decision today, and no one knows about the details of the crime (yes...by the police). However, on the way home today I heard that the police union requested a "special prosecutor" but were denied. At least at the time I heard that, it sounded like "why not a special prosecutor". Could there be a rush or conspiracy to endite the cops unfairly? Just a questions...I don't know any details now. But a request for a "special prosecutor" doesn't sound unreasonable and why would it be turned down?

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: retiredTxn

Being that Gray was put on the ground, handcuffed, and a wagon was called to transport him to lockup, PRIOR to the search that revealed the knife, kinda sounds like he was arrested rather than detained to be questioned. It will ultimately come down to which version of the timeline the jury accepts.

You're not arrested until you're told so. Police cuff/zip-tie detained people all of the time "for your safety and mine" and let them loose after they can't find a reason to make an arrest, they're just "sorting things out" ... is that legal? I have no idea but have seen it done several times here in Bmore (and yes, to white guys too)

Also, while you have more knowledge of the Gray timeline you don't state if the police felt that something he did after detainment - but before the search - warranted arrest.

Don't get me wrong, I think the cops definitely did something to cause Gray's death but you have to be able to prove it beyond a reasonable doubt. Right now all of the 6 police are innocent until proven guilty.

EDIT: plus there was more than one cop, so I guess one could have told another "you call the wagon, I'm going to read this guy his rights and arrest him." only to take longer to get to it all than it did to call the paddy wagon...just thinking out loud (the typing version of that)
edit on 5/1/2015 by RedParrotHead because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Why should the cops get a special prosecutor? They can enjoy the same system they worked under and sent people into.

link   
a reply to: Plotus

No pain no gain. The changes being brought about are triggered by acts like Ferguson. Indeed you'll have lawlessness, however speaking, it doesn't reflect the 10' s of thousands demanding change peacefully.

The few will only be heard in the media, the thousands peacefully protesting will be heard nationwide. IMO, the media's negative reporting only gives purpose to those that believe nothing will change.

Most of the individuals in the streets protesting peacefully are young adults that don't watch the news anyways, and far outnumber the few acting criminally and getting arrested, which they should be.

It was the media's negative reporting that drew attention to Baltimore. And now, that attention has spawned a movement marching in solidarity with the thousands peacefully protesting in Baltimore before the media arrived.

Talk about a backfire...

link   
I just walked in the door and saw this on the news.
Good, they should be charged, put on trial,
and let a judge find out if they are guilty or not.

May justice prevail!

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
I think the trend will be that Blacks are emboldened to behave with out regard to the law, and in a manner contrary to the rules of law. I think that Ferguson showed us the acquittal of the 'White' officer was more reason to riot and cause civil disobedience, or to justify that behavior by Blacks. With that in view, it seems that those in charge of the Baltimore incidents viewed that scenario a great risk indeed, and that the officers were thrown under the buss as expendables. There is an ever growing divide manifesting in the United States, and I believe it will grow greater this Spring and summer to the point of regional race wars. Curious too, is the last couple years with FEMA camps popping up all over. No conspiracy, just curious to me. I live in a 50/50 Black White location in the state of North Carolina, and when the Ferguson and now Baltimore incidents happened, have encountered a definite sense of hostility from our Black community. While shopping, or in traffic or just day to day activities the tension is evident.

This decision seemed to be made in all due haste in order to satisfy the Black community.

no, this "decision" was made because he was killed while in police custody, by the police.....pretty simple to me.
edit on 1-5-2015 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

Exactly, this is the way it should go.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Why should the cops get a special prosecutor? They can enjoy the same system they worked under and sent people into.

A special prosecutor generally is a lawyer from outside the government appointed by an attorney general or, in the United States, by Congress to investigate a government official for misconduct while in office.

...so says Google

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: LOSTinAMERICA

originally posted by: TKDRL
a reply to: Indigo5
And people wonder why a lot of the public don't trust them anymore eh?

I don't trust either. That's why I don't put myself in those situations.

So you don't ever leave your home? That seems to be the reason a lot of people are stopped these days... just for being in the line of sight of LEO's.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable
This indictment is correct, in that of course he was severely injured. And thankfully this should delay any riots. I say delay because none of these cops will be found guilty. After a three week trial, they will walk. Book it. Then more riots will ensue, ala the riots after the cops walked from the Rodney King incident.

I do not for one moment believe that. The prosecutor would not have brought charges if she did not feel that there was a fair likelihood of conviction. Someone will pay for what happened.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   
They are going to charge the police van with Homicide and impound it for the rest of it's life as evidence.

I would say that maybe one police officer might be charged with something serious and the rest will just be charged with covering things up or improper procedures.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join